Need tips/advice re Corps command - feeling overwhelmed!

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
tula1959
Reactions:

Need tips/advice re Corps command - feeling overwhelmed!

Post by tula1959 »

After a few weeks of working with this system I must say that I am failing badly at Corps command level. I am doing well with a brigade and have come along nicely at the Division level, but my attempts at the Corps level have been a real frustration! Things for me at this level rapidly degenerate in to mass confusion and I struggle to maintain any sort of control over what my troops are doing - brigades are running around in circles and going anywhere but where I want them.... There is no way to micro-manage so many brigades (even more so when talking about the huge Confederate Corps), not to mention regiments. I have been trying to TC only division commanders and issue orders only to them but how they carry them out is usually NOT what I had in mind at all LOL

Tips/advice/pointers would be much appreciated!!!
DarkRob
Reactions:

Re: Need tips/advice re Corps command - feeling overwhelmed!

Post by DarkRob »

After a few weeks of working with this system I must say that I am failing badly at Corps command level. I am doing well with a brigade and have come along nicely at the Division level, but my attempts at the Corps level have been a real frustration! Things for me at this level rapidly degenerate in to mass confusion and I struggle to maintain any sort of control over what my troops are doing - brigades are running around in circles and going anywhere but where I want them.... There is no way to micro-manage so many brigades (even more so when talking about the huge Confederate Corps), not to mention regiments. I have been trying to TC only division commanders and issue orders only to them but how they carry them out is usually NOT what I had in mind at all LOL

Tips/advice/pointers would be much appreciated!!!
A couple of things, first it is absolutely possible to micromanage a whole corps. I micromanage entire armies. It takes a thorough understanding of the interface as well as just knowing it like the back of your hand. However, I don't think of myself as some elite gamer or that I'm simply better than everyone else. If I can learn to do it, I believe anybody can. It just takes practice and experience.

Secondly, if as a corps commander you are TC'ing your division commanders, understand that you are essentially turning them into brain dead zombies. They will follow what orders you give them in terms of where to move their divisions, but nothing more. Once the division encounters the enemy the brigade commanders will be on their own, without the division commander to coordinate them, because the division commander is on TC, and is therefore, a brain dead zombie.
If you want the AI to more effectively coordinate the troops at the division level, then you should take the division commander off TC and allow him to do so.
The AI is not stupid. If you give the division commander an objective on the command map and set the appropriate officer stance for him, he will be able to coordinate his forces far better than his brigade commanders can do on their own. You can always TC individual units themselves that you want to take specific actions, or to force them out of a bad situation. So long as you leave the brigade and division commanders under AI control this won't affect their overall game plan, or their ability to coordinate their forces. But if you TC officers, then your micromanaging abilities better be on point or you will lose control of the situation. Remember, anytime you TC an officer you are effectively severing the chain of command and inserting yourself into that position. TC a brigade commander, and you become the brigade commander. TC a division commander and you become the division commander.
Last edited by DarkRob on Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
tula1959
Reactions:

Post by tula1959 »

Many thanks Rob! Your tips/advice make things much clearer for me! I will keep all of it in mind as I develop my skills! I have a long way to go on the learning curve for sure :lol:
chee
Reactions:

Post by chee »

take charge AI maybe.....but in senario,,my role is a sub-officer mostly