Expanded Toolbar - Grog

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
chee
Reactions:

Re: Expanded Toolbar - Grog

Post by chee »

hi,in my mod I add LanguageChineseMod.xml and keep English version same place.You not need do more for suit my mod . All xxxxEnglish files converted to Chinese verson.
Camrik
Reactions:

Post by Camrik »

Thank you Ralb! I did watch some of his videos but I missed the one about the toolbar apparently.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Thank you Ralb! I did watch some of his videos but I missed the one about the toolbar apparently.
Hey Camrik, just because some of my videos can end up being somewhat longwinded, especially the Grog Toolbar series, which I largely did on the fly and off the top of my head, Il try and summarize some of the more pertinent aspects as they relate to your questions here.

Generally speaking Infantry formations for the Grog toolbar can be grouped into 4 categories.

They are.

1.Melee formations
2.Firing formations
3.Cavalry defense formations
4.Movement/marching formations.

With regard to your first question about the various column by division formations, all of these can be considered melee formations. Units in Column by Division(sometimes also referred to as the "assault column") receive a bonus to their melee attacks when attacking enemy infantry that is not also in the assault column formation, like Line for instance(I believe the bonus is something like 15%)

Infantry in column by division can only charge. They cannot fire while in column by division. In order to fire the unit will first take a line formation, and then fire. This will happen automatically if a unit in column by division moves within engage distance of an enemy unit and either you, or the AI does not continue to close with the enemy unit and engage in a melee.

As to what version of column by division is best for what situation, Il be honest, Ive been playing this game for 4 years, and Ive never used anything but the close order formation(the most compact formation)
This is because the point of the assault column was to use a dense block of troops to punch through the enemy's thin line formation, and through brute force break it up.

In the same way you wouldn't throw a punch with your fist only half closed because you can generate much more concentrated power at the point of impact with a fully closed fist, the close order column by division should theoretically have the same effect.
I say theoretically because Ive never actually bothered to see if the half and fully open formations have any different effects with regard to melee compared with the close order formation. They could all be the same and its simply a visual difference between the three. Or they could be different, but logically, if they are different, I cannot see a reason why the half and open order formations would have more striking power than the close order version. That just wouldn't make sense. The close order, being the denser of all three versions, should be the strongest.

So I just always use the close order formation. By all means feel free to experiment with it though.

Line formations are the opposite of column by division. While column by division formations are designed to maximize striking power with the bayonet, line formations are about firepower. The line formation is designed to bring all available muskets to the front lines in order to achieve maximum firepower. So rather than a dense block of troops, the line formation dispenses with depth and goes with length.

For Line formations, its real simple, and it all just has to do with the sequence of events. By default, the Grog Toolbar will move units using the Column by division formation.

There are three main Line formations

1. Line
2. Line Hold Form
3. Combat Line

Combat Line is an automatic formation that will happen once the unit actually engages in fire combat with an enemy unit. Its simply a reshuffling of the standard 2 rank line to a 3 rank firing line. Its happens automatically so you really never need to worry about this formation.

Regular line and Line Hold Form end in exactly the same formation. The only difference is how they move to the destination.

If you move a unit and select Line, the unit will move to the location in the column by division formation, and then deploy into line.

If you move a unit and select Line hold form, the unit will form line, or if already in line, will hold that formation and then move to the location you set for them. Line Hold Form is short for Line Hold Formation, so what it does is kind of in the name of the formation itself. You're moving the unit while holding the line formation.

In either instance, if the location you move your unit to is within firing range of an enemy unit, the game will automatically go one step further and deploy the unit into combat line and begin firing.
Last edited by DarkRob on Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Camrik
Reactions:

Post by Camrik »

Thank you Rob! I just finished your first toolbar video, I'm going to watch the others now :). Your videos are very useful, thanks a bunch for taking the time to help noobs like me!

I did experiment with the different column by division versions but I did not find anything interesting. For now, and until someone can give me a good explanation, I'll simply use denser one.

As for line formations, they are pretty simple.

Thanks again, going to watch your second video now :)
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

My friend and I are making Chinese translation mod.It is a big success .It seems all text could be translated into Chinese except the directions words,"listcompass"(like south,north,,,in courier orders
second menu)? inner function that be recognized by game.
Your mod help me a lot ,I did add Chinese version like your Germany translation.
I find it is still needed to add .xml in each of the scenarios.Thanks to your mod,I achieved the courier message translation.I will translate HELP system and intros.BTW,the campaign files seem not affect all scenarios.If I take 2 mods at the same time,what mod be overwritten first? my mod name's CN language support mod.
Great, a big success indeed, especially to be almost done...You guys were truly diligent to pull this off in such a short period of time, I salute you. :)

Regarding the mod question...In Modifications, mods prioritized lower than mods with 'like' files always overwrite those files prioritized higher. IOW, the lowest mod reads the files last, and this last reading is what is computed.
Last edited by RebBugler on Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I just bought SOW:WL and I am very happy with it but there is quite a bit to read and learn. I've read most of this thread and learned quite a few things about the game and the expanded toolbar. Let me first thank you, Reb, for your remarkable dedication and contribution in making this game so much better with your mod.

One thing that I have looked for and only found partially is an explanation on the many different formations available for a division, a brigade or a bataillon. For instance, what is the difference between division columns, division columns half, or full? I mean, I can see the difference in game, but what are the advantages of using one or the other? Same is true with line, combat line, etc. Has anyone written something comprehensive about those? Or am I to learn by trial? There are quite a few formation available and apart from the most obvious ones (square comes in mind), I am uncertain on how and when (under what circunstances) to use a specific one.

Anyone can help me with this?
Well, no one's really asked, and since I don't have anything prepared, I was just going to go with your "learn by trial" suggestion. Then along came RALB and DarkRob to bail me out. Make sure you read Rob's #352 Post and then catch his videos. He's a great presenter who covers the details thoroughly.

One thing I want to divulge about the Column by Division formations that no one's seemed to have discovered...Drum Roll, the 'Full Interval Column by Division' formation moves the fastest of the Column by Division formations. Not much faster, but in battles, every second counts. I did this to give the AI a little edge as the AI uses this formation often as battles heat up because it is called from the Assault column in unitglobal. I believe the spread out formations are realistically faster also since close quarter formations would tend to restrict the length of strides. Anyway, that's my big revelation, that even DarkRob missed.

Welcome to the Game, thanks for your appreciative message. :)
Last edited by RebBugler on Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

One thing I want to divulge about the Column by Division formations that no one's seemed to have discovered...Drum Roll, the 'Full Interval Column by Division' formation moves the fastest of the Column by Division formations. Not much faster, but in battles, every second counts. I did this to give the AI a little edge as the AI uses this formation often as battles heat up because it is called from the Assault column in unitglobal. I believe the spread out formations are realistically faster also since close quarter formations would tend to restrict the length of strides. Anyway, that's my big revelation, that even DarkRob missed.
Well if I figured out everything there wouldn't be anything left for anyone else to do lol
Is there any combat difference between them? Ideally if full interval moves the fastest, they should hit the weakest, and if close order moves the slowest it should hit the hardest

Then again, it probably doesn't matter. Even if that were the case, knowing me I would just move up in full interval and then instantly switch to close order right before I charged.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Is there any combat difference between them?
Yes, the spread out formations take less casualties per artillery hit. Column formation is the most vulnerable.
Camrik
Reactions:

Post by Camrik »

Yes, the spread out formations take less casualties per artillery hit. Column formation is the most vulnerable.
They take less casualties, but is there a counterpart? Are full interval columns less effective in melee compared to normal column by division?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

They take less casualties, but is there a counterpart? Are full interval columns less effective in melee compared to normal column by division?
By my observations I would say less effective because it takes longer to get the bulk of their troops into the melee. This goes with Rob's observations that the Column by Divisions default formation (closed row intervals) has more "Hit" impact when charging headlong into an enemy line. IOW, this more compact formation delivers more men at once to a targeted (charged at) enemy unit.
Last edited by RebBugler on Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.