NGCM: Latest Developments

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
exp101
Reactions:

NGCM: Latest Developments

Post by exp101 »

Things have been moving quickly with NGCM (New Garnier's Campaign Mod). We are now playing daily battles with enhanced graphics (see screenshots below), but there's lots more going on these days including:

Maps
NGCM now has in its stable all known/available Garnier Random Maps PLUS the SoWGB stock and expansion maps. At this writing about 690 maps in all are available to game hosts;

Battle Formats
In the old days of original GCM there was only one style of play available. The opposing armies would each spawn in one of 4 map quadrants and seek out the enemy. Now in addition to these Encounter battles we play:
-Split Army, where elements of the armies may spawn in different multiple quadrants of the map. You never know for sure where they'll show up!;
-Supply Train, in which a supply base spawns for each army providing points, or even immediate victory, for the enemy if captured;
-Get Some Shoes, pits evenly match divisions near map center to contest for a special, temporary "Shoes" VP, before the rest of the armies arrive;
-Attack/Defend, makes one army the attacker and the other the defender of a vp set in their area of the map;
-Redirection, spawns additional, special vps in various areas of the map well into the game.

Graphic sets for special regiments. Bringing a regiment from the historical Iron Brigade, Bucktails, Stonewall Brigade, Zouaves, Union or Confederate western, territorial or frontier states? You'll notice a distinct difference in their look!
Flexibility is now built in for other variations including initial spawns that favor more maneuver and marching from near the map edges.
The game balancer chosen by the host also has options for matching the players on each side by skill and experience.
Much more robust flag sets. Lots of state battle flags and one cool feature has CSA brigade commanders sporting the state battle flag when all his regiments originate from the same state.
One of the latest (and best, IMO!) changes places added emphasis on leadership in the divisions. Brigade commanders with superior experience and control may bring larger regiments than those with inexperienced commanders. But be careful! If too many of a brigade's regiments rout or are captured, brigadiers may be killed or wounded with serious consequences for their experience.

Screen Shots:
Rebel Brigades. The far brigade is made up of all Alabama regiments, so the brigade commander rocks the Alabama battle flag. The near brigade includes regiments from frontier states
https://i25.servimg.com/u/f25/18/14/32/88/screen15.jpg

A Yankee Zouave regiment in the order of march
https://i25.servimg.com/u/f25/18/14/32/88/screen16.jpg

Interested? Come join us on Discord and at the NGCM website: https://www.ngcmsow.com/
Last edited by exp101 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Re: NGCM: Latest Developments

Post by KG_Soldier »

Great games still. We manage between 8 and 18 players most days. The NGCM is better than ever. Tough, gritty battles.
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

Any plans for a single player version.
Leicestershire
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Not specifically. NGCM is tailored for Multi-Player. That said, it is possible to create Sandbox battles with NGCM's mods activated so you get the adjusted graphics for the specialized regiments, etc.

Players who love SP might want to consider giving multi-player a spin though. It is a completely knew and exciting game!
Last edited by exp101 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeatherneckGA
Reactions:

Post by LeatherneckGA »

Only problem I have with MP is time.

I work 8 hours a day at my Job, run a nonprofit corporation and a Farm on top of that.

My time is very limited and far too often I get called away for some situation or other. Too bad too, looks like it would be alot of fun.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Yep, real-life can be a problem. :( Most of our players have work restrictions and many are limited to weekend and later evening battles. Several of our group play from the UK/Europe and end up playing well into the late evening hours to line up with our U.S. afternoon start time.

Still, if you find yourself with a few free hours here and there that align with our games, please join us! You can pretty much count on a battle starting every day, including weekends, at 5:15pm Eastern U.S. time.
Last edited by exp101 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Historical Regimental Commanders...
Just today Swinder added a Discord text channel for players to add historical regimental commanders' names to our formations. This is a nice complement to NGCM's practice of using only historical Civil War regiments in our battles.