Modifying stock scenarios for greater length

Any technical questions for Waterloo go here!
Buford_119
Reactions:

Modifying stock scenarios for greater length

Post by Buford_119 »

How can I modify the stock scenarios to allow for increased length? Is it as simple as changing the battlescript times to reflect the appropriate length of time, or are there additional steps to be followed?
DarkRob
Reactions:

Re: Modifying stock scenarios for greater length

Post by DarkRob »

How can I modify the stock scenarios to allow for increased length? Is it as simple as changing the battlescript times to reflect the appropriate length of time, or are there additional steps to be followed?
You actually don't need to do anything. While the stock scenarios do have predetermined lengths, once you reach the end of the scenario and the victory screen pops up you can simply select return to battle and keep playing. You can then end the scenario at any time you wish by hitting Menu and then selecting End Battle. The game will also continue to update your score while you play and this will be reflected in the victory screen.
Buford_119
Reactions:

Post by Buford_119 »

I was specifically curious about the two Quatre Bras battle scenarios (each are only three hours in length). Would it be possible to modify the battle events to extend the battle to its historical length?
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

I was specifically curious about the two Quatre Bras battle scenarios (each are only three hours in length). Would it be possible to modify the battle events to extend the battle to its historical length?
Oh. I see. Well I imagine that would take a considerable amount of tinkering, if not a complete rewrite of the scenario. Historically the battle was what, 6 or 7 hours long? I think even I would have a hard time making the French last that long in the game.

At any rate, Im pretty sure that scenario was written by Reb Bugler, so maybe PM him and ask him if he has any thoughts about how to go about doing this.
Buford_119
Reactions:

Post by Buford_119 »

What do you mean by “making the French last that long”? Isn’t the OOB for the full battle scenarios the full French/Allied OOB?
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

What do you mean by “making the French last that long”? Isn’t the OOB for the full battle scenarios the full French/Allied OOB?
Yes it is, but historically of course Quatre Bras was, in the tactical sense anyway, an allied victory.

In order to win the scenario in the game as the French, you have to go at it quite differently than Ney did. Ney was ordered to sieze the crossroads in order to secure the advance up the Brussel's Highway as well as cut Wellington off from the Prussians at Ligny. But of course, Ney was overwhelmed by superior numbers before he could take the crossroads and practically driven from the field.

In the game, Quatre Bras itself is irrelevant to the French. The best strategy is to only attack what you absolutely have to in order to gain enough points to win, which basically consists of La Raielle, Gemioncourt, the southeast and northeast objectives, Grand Pierrepont and the Bossu Wood south objectives. Fortuantely most of these objectives are relatively easy to take early on before the Allied reeinforcements arrive.

Once the main Allied forces begin to arrive, the French are going to be put on their heels one way or the other. In a slug fest, the French are just going to lose every time. So the best move for the French is to consolidate their line from the Bossu Wood, through Gemioncourt and the Northeast objective and then lock their flank down on the lake in a series of brickwall defensive formations, and then just knock back the Allies as they come up. With a 3 hour scenario length, this is viable, but as it drags on, near the end, fatigue and morale start to become an issue. But the scenario ends before it really becomes an issue.

But in a 6 or 7 hour scenario? To hold off the bulk of Wellingtons forces with nothing but one Infantry corps, a smattering of artillery, and one cavalry division, would probably be a tall order for most players. Hell, even for me it might be rough.

For the Allied scenario, I imagine it would have the opposite effect. A longer scenario means more time to bring your forces effectively into the battle, more time to retake the field, more time to recapture the objectives, and then more time to sit on them and rack up points. The Allies would also benefit from the fact that they have more "Hold" objectives in their scenario, while the French have to deal with set value "Waypoint" objectives. So the Allies would be able to extract more points for longer times in their scenario, while the French wouldn't actually gain anything from it, aside from having to hold off the Allies for double the time. I imagine this would make the Allied scenario much easier.

Currently, I think the two scenarios are pretty balanced, with the French having an easier time of it at first than the Allies do in their scenario, while things pick up later on for the Allies, and can become harder for the French as their troops fatigue and morale starts to take a hit.

But of course, when I say "balanced" I mean that from a gameplay perspective, not a historical one. I agree with you wholeheartedly that a 3 hour scenario length could not be called historical.
Last edited by DarkRob on Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.