Scenario 24 Variants?

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Alice1
Reactions:

Scenario 24 Variants?

Post by Alice1 »

Hi,

This is my first post but I've been reading the forums for a while. Through a combination of reading old threads and sheer stubbornness I have managed to claw my way to Victory in 23 scenarios. In the thread on Scenario 24, Reb mentioned that several of the variants are "almost impossible" and I am hoping someone can list them for me and possibly point out some relatively efficient way of checking which ones I get. They aren't mentioned in the Battle Info and I don't want to keep tearing my hair out trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong if it turns out I've just been getting ridiculous variants.

That being said I'm sure there are plenty of things I could be doing better, but nearly all of the strategies I've tried so far end up with me getting trounced without even securing objective 1. I did manage to take it once, by basically blowing all my resources on it (running my troops to exhaustion etc.) but then I had no ability to take or hold anything else.

Am I being too aggressive by trying to run for the Objective immediately? Should I just wait for some of Custer's men to come up, or would that waste too much time?

Oh, and all I'm shooting for is a Minor Victory. I've managed to secure Majors on several of the scenarios bu I'm happy with any kind of victory.

Thanks for the feedback,
Alice
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Scenario 24 Variants?

Post by RebBugler »

Yeah, the frustration you're seeing with winning this scenario is why I don't include random variants in my scenario designs any more. Furthermore, the AI is unpredictable enough as is, random variants really aren't necessary for replay value.

I checked out the Battlescript and think you can edit out some of the grog variants to make winning easier. The variants 'evtran2NC2' and 'evtran13VA2' appear to be the most severe, eliminate those two versions that bring in the most Rebel reinforcements 'at a run', and that should do it.

Thanks for the report

Or, here's the fix...I think :unsure:
The attachment battlescript_2020-03-13.csv is no longer available
Attachments

[The extension csv has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by RebBugler on Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Alice1
Reactions:

Post by Alice1 »

OH, duh, didn't see the attachment. Thought I had to go in and change the script myself :). Thanks, Reb
Last edited by Alice1 on Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alice1
Reactions:

Post by Alice1 »

Ok. How do I instqall the new script? Do I need to copy it into a particular folder related to SOW? Install it as a mod somehow (although it doesn't appear to register in the mod screen? The closest thing to this I've done before is installing mods and never for this game, so I'm kind of out of my depth tech wise.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

My bad, that won't work with stock scenarios anyway since they don't accept mods. So, I made up a quick mod that you can use if you also download this: http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifi ... od-enabled

Here's the variant fix mod:
The attachment GB24VariantFixMod.zip is no longer available
Once both mods are downloaded and unzipped copy them to the mods folder. Start the game and go into Modifications. Make sure they are prioritized in this order:
GB Stock Scenarios Mod Enabled
GB24 Variant Fix Mod

Then, go to 'User Scenarios' and play GB24 from there.

Hope this works, I don't have time to test it. At least you now have the stock scenarios available in 'User Scenarios' that you can play with mods.
Attachments
GB24VariantFixMod.zip
(2.7 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Alice1
Reactions:

Post by Alice1 »

My bad, that won't work with stock scenarios anyway since they don't accept mods. So, I made up a quick mod that you can use if you also download this: http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifi ... od-enabled

Here's the variant fix mod:
GB24VariantFixMod.zip
Once both mods are downloaded and unzipped copy them to the mods folder. Start the game and go into Modifications. Make sure they are prioritized in this order:
GB Stock Scenarios Mod Enabled
GB24 Variant Fix Mod

Then, go to 'User Scenarios' and play GB24 from there.

Hope this works, I don't have time to test it. At least you now have the stock scenarios available in 'User Scenarios' that you can play with mods.
Thanks. Haven't played it all the way through yet, but it seems to be working fine now. I'm managed to get the first two objectives pretty reliably now. Now it's just a points game.