'True Ground SR1' - Scenarios & OOBs

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

My first attempt on this scenario was a mere 'victory', but I thought I'd got it figured for the second attempt. Sweep right and sweep up the VP's. That seemed to go very well until the 'final' objective. With about 10 mins to go I was all set, The enemy was retreating and I was holding the objective.
Alas the enemy then did an unexpected about turn and came back at me, taking back the objective and driving me out, which killed the score somewhat!
02.jpg
Exciting stuff!

David(jolly)
Getting a victory on the first attempt is a feat in itself. Ya gotta first learn to avoid leaving the cover of the woods or the Union artillery will chew your troops up pronto. Even the edges of the woods are lethal. Never thought about the feint being created by the 'failcheck' retreat trigger of Sweister's brigade, but indeed it is, glad you pointed that out. I was more creative than I thought. :whistle:

Thanks for the report, along with the kudos :)
Last edited by RebBugler on Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

GB2-15R_July2-1st Minnesota, Unsurpassed Gallantry (U-Regt)
Attack and advance, follow the objectives as they progressively activate to the west, representing your progress in pushing back the enemy.

GB2-15R2_July2-1st Minnesota, Famed Attack & Stand (U-Regt)
Attack and hold your ground, objectives will activate progressively at that initial location.

Length of Play: 30 minutes

Command: Colonel William Colvill Jr. commanding the 1st Minnesota

Situation: Ordered away from our brigade's position further north, our regiment's now arrived at a desperate situation just below and along the southwestern ridge line. Everywhere we look our forces are backing up, some in retreat, as the enemy is steadily moving forward, their muskets ablaze. If not stopped, the Rebels will gain Cemetery Ridge and split the Union line, which could prove disastrous.

Mission: Secure all objectives.

Gameplay:
Five eventual objectives are worth 2500 points.

Forces Available:
Colonel William Colvill Jr. commanding the 1st Minnesota, First Brigade, 2md Division, II Corps, Army of the Potomac, under Brigadier General John Gibbon

1st Minnesota Regiment, Colonel William Colvill Jr.

Regiment strength: 331 troops and officers

Two scenarios for the price of one... :P
Originally only planned for the "Unsurpassed Gallantry" version, but after it was finished I thought I went too far making it too offensively oriented. I then considered a defensive variant, but that concept was scrapped because of the extremes of difficulty between the two, with the "Unsurpassed Gallantry" offensive version being much more difficult. So, enter the scenario "Famed Attack & Stand", the defensive version. And also, it’s the more historic version. But not as easy as the variant version would have been as the enemy attack sequences have been intensified for more competitive play.

GB2-15R_July2-1st Minnesota, Unsurpassed Gallantry (U-Regt)

One second left...
Down to 106 soldiers, somehow made it this far...
1st Minnesota1.jpg
1st Minnesota1.jpg (544.77 KiB) Viewed 331 times

:) Tough Win!
1st Minnesota2.jpg
1st Minnesota2.jpg (468.56 KiB) Viewed 331 times

GB2-15R2_July2-1st Minnesota, Famed Attack & Stand (U-Regt)

Even with your 'elite' troops, this defensive stand will be a challenge.
1st Minnesota3.jpg
1st Minnesota3.jpg (567.88 KiB) Viewed 331 times
Freaky...scored days apart, both MV scores wound up within ONE point of each other. Couldn't have gotten that close if I tried.

***Historical Information***

At Gettysburg...
At a pivotal moment in the 1863 struggle at Gettysburg, Major General Winfield Scott Hancock, commander of II Corps, ordered the First Minnesota to charge into a situation where it would be outnumbered by at least 5 to 1. The general's purpose was to buy minutes of delay with human lives, and one survivor spoke afterward that he expected the advance to result in "death or wounds to [every single one of the attackers]." The regiment fully and instantly obeyed the order, suffering at least 82% casualties among those making the attack; this action contributed significantly to the preservation of a key Union defensive position on the heights of Cemetery Ridge.

When given the opportunity to speak about the regiment after the war, both General Hancock and U.S. President Calvin Coolidge were unrestrained in their praise. Hancock placed its heroism highest in the known annals of war and ascribed "unsurpassed gallantry" to the famed attack. Emphasizing the critical nature of the circumstances on July 2 at Gettysburg, President Coolidge considered, "Colonel Colvill and those eight companies of the First Minnesota are entitled to rank as the saviors of their country."
Last edited by RebBugler on Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

GB2-17R_July2-3rd Georgia, Breakthrough (C-Regt)

Length of Play: 40 minutes

Command: The 3rd Georgia Regiment - Colonel Edward J. Walker, commander

Situation: We saw the Confederate colors replace the Union's as the Peach Orchard position fell. Seeing those Union colors fall has boosted our confidence, for it's been waning as the battle sounds from the south have grown increasing near. Good timing with that morale boost, for now it's our turn to attack the ridge as ordered, maintaining close proximity with General Lane's brigade already moving out on our right.

Mission: Lead your Georgians toward the Federal line to your front, then follow the path the objectives present.

Gameplay: Securing all objectives (4700 points) is crucial to achieving a victory. Objectives will appear progressively after the first objective is secured. The last two objectives, Cemetery Ridge Crest VI and VII, worth 200 points, require 200 troops to activate (all others 100). Some enemy regiments in the path to victory 'will be forced to retreat' when engaged at close quarters, 50 yards or less.

Forces Available:
Lt General Ambrose P. Hill - Corps Commander
Major General Richard H. Anderson - Division Commander
Brig General Ambrose R. Wright - Wright's Brigade

3rd Georgia Regiment, Colonel Edward J. Walker
Company A 'Burke Guards'
Company B 'Brown Rifles'
Company C 'Dawson Grays'
Company D 'Madison Home Guards'
Company E 'Governor's Guard'
Company F 'Wilkinson Rifles'
Company G 'Confederate Light Guards'
Company H 'Young Guards'
Company I 'Carswell Guards'
Company K 'Athens Guards'

Regiment strength: 442 troops and officers

Success depends on how you cooperate with your friendlies. They'll take on the brunt of the fighting at first but you'll still need to do your share. By the time you get to the final objectives your friendlies will be mainly depleted, leaving the final defensive stand to your regiment bearing the brunt. Your main responsibility along the way will be capturing guns. Not only does this bump up your score, it also helps with survival, for both your regiment and your friendlies.

Timing Timing Timing
Don't rush, but don't tarry. If you go too slow in some areas, the artillery will eat you and your friendlies up. If you get to the final objectives too early, Cemetery Ridge Crest I thru VII (approx 8 minutes, 700 points), you may be forced to retreat to save your score once the objective points cease, after Cemetery Ridge Crest VII. And most costly, if you're too late to secure the final objectives, those points are lost.

One second left...
Almost nailed the timing, fortunately I didn't need the last 100 points that final objective would have provided.
3rd Georgia1.jpg
3rd Georgia1.jpg (587.46 KiB) Viewed 330 times

Don't let the score fool you, this may be the toughest scenario yet. I suffered many losses figuring this one out. Almost scrapped it as impossible be beat.
3rd Georgia2.jpg
3rd Georgia2.jpg (394.22 KiB) Viewed 330 times

You can see by their scores the two companies that took out three of the four artillery batteries engaged. Brown's battery escaped capture but was driven off, proving you don't need to capture all the guns in your path to earn a Major Victory. Managed to have only one company captured and one routed, a feat in itself...you'll see.
3rd Georgia3.jpg
3rd Georgia3.jpg (247.23 KiB) Viewed 330 times

Gettysburg, July 2, 1863...
The Federals in front of Wright's Brigade and the 3rd Georgia were on Cemetery Hill and the ridge that connected the Round Top mountains; at a distance of about 1400 yards from Seminary Heights. The ground was open and occupied with small growing crops of grain and corn. The turnpike from Gettysburg to Emmitsburg traversed this open country running nearer to the Federal lines. The advanced line of the Federals was at the turnpike. There was desultory fighting of pickets during the day and occasionally the artillery would open up their dreadful music. About midafternoon continued heavy boom of artillery and roar of musketry far to the right was assurance that Longstreet was heavily engaged. Orders had been given to Brigade Commander Wright that when it was seen that the Command on his right had moved, we must move forward to the attack. Every moment brought the sound of battle closer until the command to attack was, at last, given. The 3rd Georgia moved forward and was met at the edge of the field in front with a storm of shot and shell. At a double quick step, the Regiment charged upon the enemy in the turnpike, followed at their heels across the little meadow beyond, passed a large brick house, and to and over the rock fence on Cemetery Ridge. At this fence, 13 pieces of enemy artillery were captured and fell into the lines of the 3rd Georgia.

The Command to the right of Wright's Brigade had not advanced as far as we had, and the Command on the left had not advanced at all! Thus, Wright's Brigade was driven into the Federal position like a wedge, and exposed on the right and the left. The enemy quickly moved in on both flanks and enveloped this Command. Discovering that we were being trapped, the 3rd Ga. was forced to retire over the same ground that it had driven the Federals. In this retreat, the 3rd Ga. lost more men than in the advance… particularly in prisoners. The men were much exhausted by the rapid advance over nearly a mile of ground, the terrific fighting, and the scorching July sun. Exhausted by the rapid retreat, many men fell into the hands of the enemy. As the 3rd. Ga. began to retire, every Federal sprang to arms and their artillery was again manned and poured a dreadful fire into the thinned ranks of the Regiment with telling effect. Wright's Brigade went into the fight with about 1500 men and came out with about 600. The 3rd Ga. made their charge with 500 men and came out with about 200. The extreme left company (CO. G) went in with 45 muskets and came out with only 7!
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Heya Reb. I'm still trying t get a MV on the 17R. It sucks you in each try, thinking 'now I must have it', but then that last Reb wave advances.
The best score I have on this was actually on the first try - beginner's luck?
The attachment 15a.jpg is no longer available
Cheers,

David(jolly)
Attachments
15a.jpg
15a.jpg (235.7 KiB) Viewed 351 times
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

By George I think I've done it!

At last. ;)
The attachment 15a2.jpg is no longer available
David(jolly)
Attachments
15a2.jpg
15a2.jpg (257.97 KiB) Viewed 351 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

By George I think I've done it!

At last. ;)
15a2.jpg
David(jolly)
Yes you have! You blew away my best effort, your casualty figures being especially impressive, even on your Victory post. I'm miffed, in a good way, at how you orchestrated such lopsided engagements. Regardless, your Generalin' skills are showing vast improvements. :)
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

'miffed' you! :)

But glad it was in A Good Way. ;)

Thanks Reb, in fact - bloody well done Reb for all of this.

David(jolly)
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Update version 1.59 (June 24, 2020)

- Scenario GB2-21 added
- Last three scenarios renumbered to expand Wheatfield scenarios
- End time and troop numbers, beginning and ending, added to the End Screen 'end game' statistics
Last edited by RebBugler on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

GB2-21_July2-Cross's Brigade, The Wheatfield (U-Brig)

Length of Play: 45 minutes

Command: Colonel Edward E. Cross commanding the First Brigade

Situation: As ordered, we've just arrived at the wheat field, where we find our forces in disarray. Colonel Trobriand's depleted brigade is withdrawing and on the verge of collapse as Rebel forces invade the wheat field from the south and west. Assigned to the eastern flank of our division, our obligations are clear, relieve Trobriand and drive out the invaders.

Mission: Attack and secure all objectives.

Gameplay:
The objectives offer 1800 total points. Most of the initial enemy units encountered will fallback and retreat within four minutes when engaged within 100 yards.

Forces Available:
Colonel Edward E. Cross commanding the First Brigade, Brigadier General John C. Caldwell, First Division, II Corps, Army of the Potomac, under Brigadier General John Gibbon

First Brigade, Colonel Edward E. Cross
5th New Hampshire Regiment, Lt Colonel Charles E. Hapgood
61st New York Regiment, Lt Colonel K. Oscar Broady
81st Pennsylvania Regiment, Colonel H. Boyd McKeen
148th Pennsylvania Regiment, Lt Colonel Robert McFarlane

Brigade Strength: 854 troops and officers

Take your time with this scenario, you'll have plenty of time to reach and secure your objectives, then fall back to the wall and defend to the end, padding your score. Be aggressive capturing the objectives! You'll need to mass attack enemy troops at the objectives in order to rout and capture as many enemy companies as possible...This will provide for the 700+ engagement points you'll need for a Major Victory.

One second left...
After securing the Rose Woods objective I was just under 2500 points. Retreated to the wall with about 10 minutes remaining and gradually upped my score to the MV bar.
Wheatfield Cross1.jpg
Wheatfield Cross1.jpg (519.09 KiB) Viewed 329 times

No blow outs with this scenario, Major Victories will be just barely, like this one...I can pretty much guarantee as such.
Wheatfield Cross2.jpg
Wheatfield Cross2.jpg (492.66 KiB) Viewed 329 times

At Gettysburg...
On July 2, 1863, during the Battle of Gettysburg, Colonel Cross led a brigade in the 1st Division, II Corps. His division was sent to the left flank to help stabilize it after the Confederates had begun attacking. Cross's brigade was formed on the left of the division's III Corps battle line, when he was mortally wounded while at the left of his line near the Rose Woods. He died the next day in a field hospital and body was shipped home to Lancaster, New Hampshire.
Last edited by RebBugler on Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Colonel Walker's Last Stand!
The attachment Walker01.jpg is no longer available
This is a classic RB scenario. Grips you to the end!

Skin of teeth sort of thing.
The attachment Walker02.jpg is no longer available
David(jolly)
Attachments
Walker02.jpg
Walker02.jpg (405.57 KiB) Viewed 351 times
Walker01.jpg
Walker01.jpg (399.54 KiB) Viewed 351 times