'True Ground SR1' - Scenarios & OOBs

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
jlan5031
Reactions:

Post by jlan5031 »

Thanks for your quick reply. The error was mine. I was clicking the wrong title.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Another near run thing!
My first attempt had Col Kelly killed by a Reb charge (I'd not been paying enough attention to where he was!). Luckily I'd saved the game just prior to this, and went on to just about achieve an MV.

It's amazing how close these things can get - the mark of good scn designing. :)
GB2202.jpg
David(jolly)
I always resurrect ME with autosave and continue on...Praise the Lord of Games. :lol:

Good solid Major Victory there General, leading this small brigade to successful results is no easy feat...Congrats!

Kudos much appreciated! If it's not competitive, I didn't do my job...
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

There's a snappy title there for something Reb 'The Lord of the Games' ! :)

On to 24, which should be another breeze! ;)

David(jolly)
Chichetr
Reactions:

Post by Chichetr »

Absolutely love the new scenarios here! Thank you so much Reb!

Question though, I was screwing around with some settings and now I have men who look HUGE and the color bearers are now tiny. Not sure what I did to screw it up but.....any suggestions on how I can fix this? lol
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Absolutely love the new scenarios here! Thank you so much Reb!

Question though, I was screwing around with some settings and now I have men who look HUGE and the color bearers are now tiny. Not sure what I did to screw it up but.....any suggestions on how I can fix this? lol
Thanks for the kudos! :)

Sounds like you're using the mods I recommended but they're prioritized wrong or not all enabled. In the Intro of the 'TC2M SOW Infantry SR1' mod (Modifications screen) please read and follow these directions:
'TC2M SOW Infantry SR1' allows for 'True Ground SR1' play with the following sprite mods:

4K Packed Artillery,Cavalry,et al
TC2M SOW Infantry Mod

In Modifications, prioritize 'TC2M SOW Infantry SR1' below 'True Ground SR1'. Deactivate when not using SR1 mods.

When used along with Bugles & Flags, the Modifications order should line up as so:

4K Packed Artillery,Cavalry,et al
Bugles & Flags
TC2M SOW Infantry Mod
'True Ground' - Devil's Den Map - The Big Picture
True Ground SR1
TC2M SOW Infantry SR1
Last edited by RebBugler on Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Update 2.0 - July 17, 2020

- Addition of scenario GB2-28btn_July2-On To The Round Tops (C-Div)
- Eliminated the ‘End Screens’ graphics of scenarios 21-24 to reduce this mod’s bulk for attachment purposes.
- Make sure to download and install the latest update of True Ground Maps - Gettysburg - "The Big Picture", Version 2.5 Update - July 14, 2020. It includes the ‘End Screens’ graphics of scenarios 21-24. Without this update, any scenarios listed above that are played will crash the game upon End Game.
- Sandbox OOBs are now transferred to the 'True Ground Maps' mod
- Introduction of Battalions

Battalions

Battalion, a tactical military organization composed basically of a headquarters and two or more companies, batteries, or similar organizations and usually commanded by a field-grade officer.

During the American Civil War, an infantry or cavalry battalion was an ad hoc grouping of companies from the parent regiment, except for certain regular infantry regiments, which were formally organized into three battalions of six companies each.

Criteria for forming battalions:
- Maximum battalion strength is 125 men
- Regiments are divided into two or more battalions of equal size, or close to, according to the following guidelines:

Strength
1-125........... Regiment remains undivided
126-250..... 2 Battalions (126 results in the smallest battalion size of 63 men per btn.)
251-375..... 3 Battalions
376-500..... 4 Battalions
501-625..... 5 Battalions
626-750..... 6 Battalions
751-875..... 7 Battalions
876-1000.. 8 Battalions

Battalions will pave the way for larger sized SR1 battles due to less performance demands than company level play. When you consider that most of the 10 units (companies) are reduced to 3 or 4 units (battalions), the performance gain is obvious.
Last edited by RebBugler on Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chichetr
Reactions:

Post by Chichetr »

Absolutely fantastic! Thank you so much Reb! Downloading this now!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

GB2-28btn_July2-On To The Round Tops (C-Div)

Length of Play: 1 hour

Command: Hood's Division

Situation: After countermarching all morning, you have finally reached the staging area for your assault on the Federal left. There should be an open path around their flank.

Mission: Sweep around the left of the Federal line.

Forces Available:
Brig. Gen. Evander M. Law, commanding Hood's Division, Army of Northern Virginia

Law's Brigade, Col. James L. Sheffield
4th Alabama, Lieut. Col. L. H. Scruggs
15th Alabama, Col. William C. Oates
44th Alabama, Col. William F. Perry
47th Alabama, Col. Michael J. Bulger
48th Alabama, Capt. Thomas J. Eubanks

Robertson's Brigade, Brig. Gen. Jerome B. Robertson
3d Arkansas, Col. Van H. Manning
1st Texas, Lieut. Col. P. A. Work
4th Texas, Col. J. C. G. Key
5th Texas, Col. R. M. Powell

Anderson's Brigade, Brig. Gen. George T. Anderson
7th Georgia, Col. W. W. White
8th Georgia, Col. John R. Towers
9th Georgia, Lieut. Col. John C. Mounger
11th Georgia, Col. F. H. Little
59th Georgia, Col. Jack Brown

Benning's Brigade, Brig. Gen. Henry L. Benning
2d Georgia, Lieut. Col. William T. Harris
15th Georgia, Col. D. M. DuBose
17th Georgia, Col. W. C. Hodges
20th Georgia, Col. John A. Jones

Hood's Division Artillery
Branch (North Carolina) Artillery, Capt. A. C. Latham
German (South Carolina) Artillery, Capt. William K. Bachman
Palmetto (South Carolina) Light Artillery, Capt. Hugh R. Garden
Rowan (North Carolina) Artillery, Capt. James Reilly

Division strength: 7227 troops and officers, 19 Guns

It's Back! :cheer:
Supported by years of AARs and feedback, the most popular SOW Gettysburg scenario, GB07_July2-On To The Round Tops (C-Div), is revisited with this release. Also with this release is the debut of the new SR1 format - Battalions.

This updated and re-scripted version of GB07 strives to maintain the essence and appeal of the original. Originally I omitted the variants because they included ahistorical elements. However, after studying and testing that version I concluded that the variants were necessary for the variety and unpredictability this scenario demands to be entertaining and competitive.

Variants
One notable change is that the player will be notified by a pop-up message at the beginning of the scenario as to which variant, I,II,III,IV,or V is loaded. This way the player can opt out of that variant by reloading the game through the in-game Menu. Or, just knowing the variant you're playing is useful information for repeat plays...At least they would be for me until I learned 'Variant on Demand' by editing the battlescript. :)

One second left...
Still under attack, but pretty much in control of the pictured objectives' ground
RoundTops1.jpg
RoundTops1.jpg (525.01 KiB) Viewed 345 times

This post is Variant V, a variant that was added replacing one of the original duplicate variants. I consider this along with that remaining duplicate as the historical variants. The other three variants are ahistorical in that they move troops into ahistorical defensive positions supporting the LRT and DD objectives. And yes, as you can see by the score, the historical variants are the least difficult.
RoundTops2.jpg
RoundTops2.jpg (395.74 KiB) Viewed 345 times

***Historical Information***

Hood’s Division was the right flank of Longstreet’s attack on July 2nd. Its objective was the subject of hot debate between Lee and Longstreet, with Hood desperately and unsuccessfully protesting the final decision. The attack had barely begun before Hood was struck down by an artillery shell. It took time for senior brigade commander Evander Law to find out he was in charge and he never firmly established control over the division, leaving the attack poorly coordinated and unsupported. Nevertheless Hood’s men swept Union forces out of the Devil’s Den and nearly took Little Round Top before Union counterattacks forced them back.
Last edited by RebBugler on Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jlan5031
Reactions:

Post by jlan5031 »

For some reason, I can't seem to download this new mod. Right click does not any 7zip or download option("Open Link in new tab", etc). I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. but I don't know what.
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

jlan5031

What I do to get the downloaded file is to click on the'1' (Page 1)on the left hand bottom of the screen and that brings to to the first post of RebBugler's Mod.
Then a few lines down you will see the following :

File Attachment:
File Name: TrueGround...7-17.zip
File Size:4,343 KB

Click on the file name and you are good to go..... Enjoy

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today