'True Ground SR1' - Scenarios & OOBs

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Coming next, when I manage a MV.  My previous play was a Major Defeat, had 10 troops left.  Attacking and defeating the guns on Cemetery Hill East with two brigades may be the most challenging scenario yet.
GB East Cemetery Hill July 2nd DRAW.jpg
GB East Cemetery Hill July 2nd DRAW.jpg (413.7 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Getting there, that MV was just beyond my grasp.  Lost my second objective the last five minutes by Yanks appearing from the darkness (visibility was down to 80 yards), and knew my MV quest was over, for the one objective left wouldn't provide enough points to reach that bar.

Last night I did score a MV, but I canned it because it scored too high.  Since I got two objectives early their points skewed the scoring too high, scored 6200+.  Can't have that!  So, tweaked the objective points down some, and then with this play, even when I got the objectives somewhat early, this Victory felt much better...Adrenaline to the end.  And, I know I can do better in a coming round.
GB East Cemetery Hill Victory 4890.jpg
GB East Cemetery Hill Victory 4890.jpg (388.27 KiB) Viewed 184 times

Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Did you try the new LSL file I uploaded Reb?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Yes Jolly, I tried it out.  Played with your LSL version for 15 minutes, then ran the present version from exactly the same scenario situation.  I didn't move the mouse around, just watched the FPS as the action got underway, big reb attack sequence.  Comparitively speaking, the FPS rates between the two were the same, starting out, and then both showed pretty much the same reduction rate as more troops got involved.  Can't comment on your texture work since I didn't move around.  From one position I noticed no changes. 

Without a noticeable FPS advantage I'd rather not replace the LSL at this time even though I trust and respect your work.  I would need to test the three hour long scenarios with your version to even consider that.  Unfortunately we're both in the dark about how effective your LSL is with other folks regarding their computer performance pros or cons...No feedback.

RB
Last edited by RebBugler on Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Union positions for 'Cemetery Hill East'.  Some disappear in the distance due to 'dusk' visibility.
GB East Cemetery Hill Union Positions.jpg
GB East Cemetery Hill Union Positions.jpg (378.09 KiB) Viewed 182 times
Another Victory, but oh so close.  I had the MV, 5000+ with five minutes and 500 troops left, but with my last objective still ticking I decided to hang on.  Wrong!  As soon as visibility went to 30 yards I was inundated with fresh Union troops and lost my prize.  My battle worn and depleted troops began routing and my MV was ultimately doomed.

RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Need some help please.  I just posted a new update for True Ground Maps and I need someone to verify that the download works.  When I select the link to download and go to DropBox I don't see the Download function as previously, now it just says Sharing, so I couldn't download my own upload to check it out. 
Meanwhile, I can't update this mod until folks have 'True Ground Maps' downloaded and installed, as this mod relies on the other to be updated first.

Thanks in Advance
RB
Last edited by RebBugler on Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

The Download worked ok - I've installed and played with no problems.

I still get the sudden game freezes and cut out, but that has been a problem for me from the start.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Thanks a bunch Jolly!
Finally got that elusive MV, so I'll get this mod updated soon with that new scenario added.  'Cemetery Hill East' is going to drive folks crazy trying to beat it, it did me.

I'll test your LSL version some more and check out your texture work before the next 'TG Maps' update.  If everthing works out, maybe we can add it in, replacing the old LSL file.  Least I can do for our #1 SR1 fan.Image

RB
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

GB2-33btn_July2-Cemetery Hill East, Early's Late Attack (C-Div)

Length of Play: 1 Hour

Command: Major General Jubal A. Early, commanding the 1st Division, Ewell's Corps
Date: July 2nd 1863

Situation: It's dusk, and after recovering and resting from our intense fight yesterday, we've now received our marching orders. We are to attack the hill just south of Gettysburg, where scores of cannon and thousands of Union soldiers await. Ominously, the hill is named - Cemetery Hill.

Mission: Capture at least two of the three objectives. Once the major victory bar is reached, it's advised that the ground won be vacated with an orderly retreat, otherwise become overwhelmed.

Objectives: Each objective awards 72 points per minute (12 points per each 10 second interval)
Visibility: As nightfall approaches, visibility will decrease at approximately 7 to 5 to 3 minute intervals, down to 30 yards the last three minutes.

Forces Involved:
CSA - 2,354 troops (2 brigades, Early's Division)
USA - 7,517 troops, 68 guns (all will probably not be engaged)
_________________________________________________________________________________

This scenario is based on the historic battle at Brickyard Lane. It starts at dusk and the fighting goes on into the night. It was supposed to be a two-pronged attack with Rodes' division attacking Cemetery Hill from the west. That help, along with Gordon's brigade left in reserve, never came to the aid of Early's two brigades.

Nevertheless, although costly, those two lone brigades made a famously valiant effort to break the Union line, capture two batteries, and hold their captured ground until Yankee reinforcements, under the cover of darkness, forced them to withdraw. This scenario's criteria for winning reflects the same:  break the Union line, capture at least two batteries (represented by two objectives), hold captured ground, and then withdraw before being overwhelmed.

Well, my preceding posts regarding this scenario did all the jawin' for me...Simply put, this is a very challenging scenario!

One second left, we made our escape under the cover of darkness...
Cemetery Hill East1.jpg
Cemetery Hill East1.jpg (256.07 KiB) Viewed 180 times
TaDah...sounds the bugle Image
Cemetery Hill East MV.jpg
Cemetery Hill East MV.jpg (397.4 KiB) Viewed 180 times
Last edited by RebBugler on Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

I'm chomping at the bit to have a go at this - I'm still trying to get through the first senario at the moment though, win or lose!

Thanks for another scenario Reb,

David(jolly)