Noob advice?

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
pag
Reactions:

Noob advice?

Post by pag »

New GB player here.  I confess I never paid much  attention to the SoW series, primary because it was RTS wargame which I never cared for, but then a friend who I usually play Combat Mission series  suggested a  video showing off SoW HITS play. I was intrigued by that unique concept and style of play. I tried the demo, then purchased GB, patched  , and stumbled on this website (address should be sticked  at MG)  and here I am. 

Are there any general suggestions for a complete noob like me? Are there particularly good AARs for a beginner. There does appear to be some interesting mods and scenarios. Thanks
RebBugler
Reactions:

Noob advice?

Post by RebBugler »

Welcome pag

I'm not a HITS fan, but I can get you started with HITS play until someone more knowledgeable with this style of play addresses your questions.  Here's two ways to get started:

1) In the Difficulty section in Options, select 'Normal' or easier play, then once in-game key F (Follow Command) to get you in the saddle.  Key F a second time to elevate and rotate the camera while still following the unit selected.  Key F a third time to cancel HITS and return to moving the camera around the battlefield.

2) Select 'Historical' in Options.  This automatically keeps you 'in the saddle' throughout.

More difficult Options include HITS and movement of units via couriers.

Good luck, glad to have you 'in the SOW saddle', or whatever mode of playing you choose.

Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
pag
Reactions:

Noob advice?

Post by pag »

I really like this game so far. Im impressed  with the ability to customize to fit player style, and the AI is just super.  

It takes a different mindset to play the game as a commander: Formulating a battle plan , sending off couriers , watching and waiting as it all comes together- or NOT!   Looking for openings in the line, sending in a reserve to reinforce a flank, deciphering  my subordinate's motivations, watching and waiting as it all comes together- or NOT! .  It tough to let go, but I'm digging it. 

I finished the tutorials and working through scenarios. I adjusted My HITS range to "2" and I made a lot changes and addition  to the keyboard.csv , since I prefer keyboard over mouse where possible. 

question : 
Re: Calvary scouting. In "compose courier message" there is a  order for
 "Calvary to Scout in this Direction"  then offers  directions ...east, southeast,west etc .  This doesn't seem to work for me.  After I  selecting the direction the calvary unit heads for the nearest road, then end up going in another,  usually opposite direction then what i've selected.  The Unit final destination is reversed according to the green box Unit destination icon on the map. I 'm wondering  if I'm doing something wrong or somethings reversed. 
It's not really a big deal because It works to order a calvary unit to scout toward  a map point