'True Ground SR1' - Scenarios & OOBs

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

I used to wrap an elastic band around my collection to take to school - they got a bit battered. You don't think of the future at that age! ;)

David(jolly)
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I went hog-ass wild with my collection, spent every penny I earned for about two years on those cards, and literally hoarded them (avoided the trading card scene because of earlier baseball card trading inequities leading to bad experiences, IOW, I got ripped off). 

Managed to collect two entire sets, with lots more dupes, and they somehow survived several family moves between cities and states. Also I have an original retail box the packs were sold from, my pride and joy that I store the collection in.  Several decades ago I retrieved them from my folks attic in Virginia and they've been with me ever since. I know I could sell them for a nice profit now, according to ebay searches, but they're a part of me, and not just fleeting memories.

I visit them from time to time, not only are they a pleasure to behold, they give me bragging rights for hanging on to them for over 60 years now. Gotta credit my mom though, I inherited my hoarding compulsions from her, and without her attic, plus her hoarding skills, those cards would be long gone.

Still got my 1959-1961 baseball card collection too, but no complete sets.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

And finally (for now), I just about managed a MV on GB3-11, despite the heavy losses.
My tactics were to attack the Reb left flank first, whilst bringing up the support into the center and right, and also attacking any Reb guns if possible to try and clear them out. They did some damage though!

GB3_11.jpg
Congrats, this is probably the toughest of the Union carryover finale series. And, you beat it the hard way, attacking the western flank first. I tried this also, once, and got soundly defeated. It's tough because it summons more Rebel troops into the fray once the western-most objective is achieved. Still, attacking from the east has its own challenges, like you said, because you have to endure longer pounding from the Rebel artillery.

Now you've opened the door to the Union grand finale. With all your Major Victories preceding this scenario, you should have no problem routing Lee's army. Just take it slow as I suggest on the Info page, otherwise the massive amount of troop numbers will mess with CPU performance, and potentially ruin your MV effort.

Good Luck General Jolly Image
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: 'True Ground SR1' - Scenarios & OOBs

Post by RebBugler »

Took me two days, but most of my attachments, (screenshots and descriptive battle pictures), are back now.
seamount0
Reactions:

Post by seamount0 »

Hi, thank you for this great mod

May I ask you if "Courier&maps" or "Courier&small maps" can be used with this mod ? Because I like to use the orders by Couriers ("C"), I am now familiar with those mods ... but I understand correctly there may be a problem because of the maps ?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

seamount0 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:13 pm Hi, thank you for this great mod

May I ask you if "Courier&maps" or "Courier&small maps" can be used with this mod ? Because I like to use the orders by Couriers ("C"), I am now familiar with those mods ... but I understand correctly there may be a problem because of the maps ?
Not a clue, but I don't know why they wouldn't work since this mod is built on a normally scaled map. Just the objects and troops have been scaled down to allow for SR1 'true battle distances' play.
Buford_119
Reactions:

Post by Buford_119 »

Greetings all,

I noticed that a scenario for the artillery bombardment prior to Pickett's Charge exists, but not in TG/SR1 form. I am planning to work on representing the bombardment in SR1 form using the existing SR1 Union OOB and appropriately placed Confederate units, but noticed a comment that the bombardment could not be accomplished as in RL due to range limitations. Is there any more detail available on this?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Buford_119 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:45 am Greetings all,

I noticed that a scenario for the artillery bombardment prior to Pickett's Charge exists, but not in TG/SR1 form. I am planning to work on representing the bombardment in SR1 form using the existing SR1 Union OOB and appropriately placed Confederate units, but noticed a comment that the bombardment could not be accomplished as in RL due to range limitations. Is there any more detail available on this?
Performance is the issue with long ranges. But if you want to try it out you can get the artillery range up to 2000 yards by adjusting the scenario.ini file. Open this file in the scenario's folder and adjust the following line to: Weather=12. NSD avoided any ranges beyond 1000 yards because of performance issues, and SR1 adds to those issues since every soldier on the field is represented. Good Luck! And thanks for playing.
Buford_119
Reactions:

Post by Buford_119 »

Hi Reb,

Thanks for the clarification. Am I correct that the starting positions of the Confederate batteries (before the move to 600 yards or so) are historically accurate relative to the TG/SR1 ground scale? Or do those positions need to be changed as well?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Buford_119 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:32 am Hi Reb,

Thanks for the clarification. Am I correct that the starting positions of the Confederate batteries (before the move to 600 yards or so) are historically accurate relative to the TG/SR1 ground scale? Or do those positions need to be changed as well?
The Confederates were set up historically north to south-wise, if I remember correctly, but definitely not east to west since the artillery had to move east just to get in range to target the enemy. When the new game is released with 64 bit improved performance capabilities, the 2000 yards range for the initial bombardment should be possible, along with the troop advance, depending on your hardware capabilities. But for now, what you're trying to do with this 32 bit game I'm guessing is a lost cause. You can set the Rebs up historically along Seminary Ridge with the 2000 yards range set, but the FPS rate will be so low the game will prove unplayable, and probably just freeze up and crash.