mouse game pointer problem

Any technical questions for Waterloo go here!
anvil
Reactions:

mouse game pointer problem

Post by anvil »

Thanks RebBugler for your input. I am re-posting here.

Heres my original post

"Is there a place to get some help getting sowwl running? I bought the boxed game from slitherine just before the delisting and am having a resolution/mouse problem.

if I set full screen =0, no matter what i set the res in the ini file, i get a mouse cursor, but only the upper right 1/4 of the game screen

if I set full screen=1, no matter the res i set, I get the full game screen but no game cursor.l I see it, but it wont move. when I move my mouse, I can highlight different boxes such as options and click on them, but from the options screen, i can highlight some functions, but its too small to click on anything.

FWIW, I have no problem with TCSM."

I set full screen=1 and screen res=0, and that helped but I still have a disconnect between mouse and game pointer. I can see the game pointer but it does not move. I cannot see my mouse but it will highlight boxes and I can click to activate functions. Lol, I just have to move my invisible mouse until it highlights the function I need.

If I set full screen to "0" and screen res to "0", I get a small game screen in the upper left corner and a working mouse/game pointer.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: mouse game pointer problem

Post by RebBugler »

Found this post in Matrix, does it resemble your issue?
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 2#p4590962
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
anvil
Reactions:

Post by anvil »

It was similar, but you solved the problem of only having the game screen in the upper left corner,,, with working mouse.

Using your setup in the ini file, the game screen is fine and the tutorial works, so I'm sure thats solved. My problem is that the actual mouse and the game pointer are not connected. the game pointer is visible and doesn't move. And, when I move my mouse, there is no pointer but when I move over a button with the invisible mouse, it lights up and I can click on it and it works. Lol, the problem, obviously, is not knowing where the mouse is, so hitting on a specific button is a matter of luck. If I posted a pic, you would see the game pointer in one place and a highlighted button on the other side of the screen.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Since the mouse pointer worked before, maybe it's a display incompatibility issue. I use 1366x768 for my display (50 inch HDTV) and that same resolution for the game, with full screen checked in Options. Give it a try if your monitor will accept that resolution, or hook up your HDTV and get a wireless keyboard. :geek: No better way to play the game as far as I'm concerned. :ugeek:

With that last HDTV suggestion I'm obviously out of ideas, hopefully someone else will come along and help you with the setup you have...Good Luck, and keep posting, I know your issue can be fixed by someone that's seen and fixed this issue.

One more thing I should have asked...Does your computer have a dedicated video card with at least a GB of RAM? If not, that could very well be your issues with running this game.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Have you tried running the game in windows 7 compatibility? I know that always solves alot of problems for me. I've never had this particular one though.
Biondo
Reactions:

Post by Biondo »

I remember I heard about a similar problem.

Could this help?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/369390/d ... 226693343/
anvil
Reactions:

Post by anvil »

Like minds and all that. I just came back with a solution and there it is. Its a text dpi issue. And the way to get to it is right click your desktop and go to personalization. Then Display. Select custom dpi. I'm playing with it and it works up to 135 dpi so far. I lose my mouse at 140 dpi.

So its a problem because my monitor looks best for me at 200 DPI means reset dpi/reboot/ play game/ change DPI and reboot when done. But its worth it.

Still looking for a better solution.

I am running the game on win 7.