Scourge of War Update

Threads discussing NSD news items from the front page.
duncan
Reactions:

Re: Scourge of War Update

Post by duncan »

Great to have news.
No problem to pay for a game which will give so many hours of fun.
Rangoon
Reactions:

Post by Rangoon »

This is wonderful news! Happy to purchase again.
Chichetr
Reactions:

Post by Chichetr »

norb wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:05 am Yes, repurchasing the game will be required as our plan now stands. It will be worth it. Not everything is getting overhauled, but the visuals will be. As of now the engine is not changing, but we should get some better implementation out of it. We are going to fully integrate with Steam for MP, etc. As soon as we can we will have an early access version so everyone can help test and make suggestions. Working on the store page currently.

We hope to have just one exe that will support everything. We will expose much more for modders. Building x64 means we can support a lot more uniforms and up the resolution of our maps.

I understand how some people would not be happy to purchase again, but it will be a different version a no one is required. The Matrix version will run fine for years to come. We have a big team that is giving up their time to enhance the game. Although no one ever gets rich working on the games, it is great to send out checks. All our games are royalty based, so everyone that significantly contributes to development receives a cut.

We could have just left it alone, but too many people kept pinging me wanting to do more. I have things that I've wanted to try. So we made the call.

I did have very wimpy multi threading in there, I am adding a lot more where possible. It's tough with the game design, but since our goal is enhancement, we have the time to focus.

Destraex wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:57 am A little excited about this. I own the game on steam but really never enjoyed it but loved the concept of courier messengers, multiplayer sub commanders HITs etc. It would have been the perfect napoleonic game except;
Why? Because the ground textures being such large blocks compared to the sprites made it hard to look at because of the contrast of what looked like ground maps made that would have made soldiers 100x the size of the sprites look more at home on.
The other thing was not being able to appreciate the terrain because the trees were not drawn in even at fairly close distances on the best settings (I tried all the suggested tweaks off the forums way back).

Is the engine getting overhauled to support multi-threading? Or does it already?

Will owners of the current steam version have to re-purchase? Not that I mind too much if the game becomes playable. Just curious.

So just my 2c. 07 guys and great news. Don't stress and enjoy the process.
Super happy to buy the game(s) again, Norb. Absolutely ADORE yall so much for the game that (in my opinion) is the BEST grand strategy game of all time, bar none.

That being said....it would be absolutely rad as hell if yall added another campaign into the game, or just another battle. I'm itching for Borodino...or anything, really lol.

That all being said, I'm extremely excited to re-buy this series again (BOTH series, NW and ACW).
kubo
Reactions:

Post by kubo »

cool is there already an release date ore an price?
Yarders
Reactions:

Post by Yarders »

Good luck all. A lot of people I know are looking forward to this and are happy to pay again. No other game has really been anywhere near as good as this for me. I hope we can get a decent multiplayer. I've never played multiplayer before but I would love to and I know others who would as well.

You should definitely set up a Discord.
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

I will be perfectly happy to purchase again!
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Thank you. We made some tough decisions to move forward in a way that we felt we could handle. I know that many will be upset, but we had to find a path forward that made sense with our schedules.
grad_kinz
Reactions:

Post by grad_kinz »

I'm really looking forward to the updates coming down the pipe-line. Since this is basically a relaunch, what kind of features can we expect? Of course crash and bug fixes are good, as well as Performance increases, just wanted to know what else we could see coming.

I personally would love a completely redesigned and proper Sandbox map. The one in the current game is lacking a lot of detail, UI, etc. There is a lot of potential there to really make something special. Playing the same scenarios can get old, but an Updated Sandbox map would really put me on the side of the fence for repurchasing the game. If it would be possible to do a "Coop" or Head to Head Sandbox 'Campaign' that would be incredible too.
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

Is there any plans to make the Sandbox Campaign work?
Leicestershire
Vossiewulf
Reactions:

Post by Vossiewulf »

I had recently played through SoW Gettysburg and Chancellorsville because I still enjoy them even though they have started to look a bit long in the tooth. I'm ecstatic to hear about the remastering effort, I'll be looking forward to playing them again with new visuals!