Kennesaw Mtn. Battlefield

Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Re:Kennesaw Mtn. Battlefield

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Armchair General wrote:
Ephrum wrote:
Thank you for the insight Kerflumoxed.

I'm actually pretty excited about the trip. It'll be the first ACW Battlefield for me, and I can't wait.
The Battlefield I want to visit the most is Antietam.
The silence of it all is amazing. It was hard to imagine some of the war's bloodiest fighting at some places, especially at Burnside's Bridge.
A keen observation! Take some time and get off the beaten path...away from the tourist...on a walking tour! Early morning or late in the day are the most striking times when one can get a real sense of the history. Be sure to stop by the Visitor's Center and pick up a map.
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

Hey Kerflumoxed do you know where a great place to get a authentic repreduction of a 1860 Light Cavalry saber. I love the sword's design but I want to be a foot officer would I look odd walking around with that rather than a foot officer's sword?
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

Kerflumoxed- Thank you again for the info Sir! I'll check out the link. And I would like to see something like that, to know if I would want to participate. If nothing else, I know it would be enjoyable to watch. I'm assuming there are spectators?

I live outside a rural village called Rushville, in Ohio.
Which incidently is right between Lancaster(Shermans birthplace), and Somerset(Sheridans birthplace).
Only 20 miles from point to point.

Armchair General- That was a cool description!
Reminds me of Little Powell's post, on his early moring walk across the field of Pickett's Charge.

What time of year were you at Antietam?
OHIO UNIVERSITY
Armchair General
Reactions:

Post by Armchair General »

Ephrum wrote:

Armchair General- That was a cool description!
Reminds me of Little Powell's post, on his early moring walk across the field of Pickett's Charge.

What time of year were you at Antietam?[/quote]

I went to Antietam three years ago, and we went in early August. Since then I've been to the greater Richmond area and been to most of the battlefields. Malvern Hill trumped both Antietam and Gettysburg in eerie silence. For such a bloody battle, when I went, there was only one more person there.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

Sounds like the ideal way to do it. B)

Thanks again Gentlemen.
OHIO UNIVERSITY
dale
Reactions:

Post by dale »

Malvern Hill has been my shrine. Imagining the day while walking through the field is as close to feeling "ghosts" of a battle as can be felt. In fact in one of the volumes of "Ghosts of Virginia" the author relays a tale of reenactors camping there who thought there were fellow reenactors in the woods (where the Confederates assembled prior the assault). As it turns out they were the only living people on the field that evening.

And yes it is true that at times you can visit and be the only person there!
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Joshua l.Chamberlain wrote:
Hey Kerflumoxed do you know where a great place to get a authentic repreduction of a 1860 Light Cavalry saber. I love the sword's design but I want to be a foot officer would I look odd walking around with that rather than a foot officer's sword?
Authentic Reproduction - isn't that an oxymoron? :P

There are several places that carry the repro saber on the net. My advice, however, is to avoid Ebay and/or the net as it is difficult to ascertain their quality without holding/seeing one in person. If you check out the "Authentic Campaigner" there is a list of "approved vendors" that would help to lead you to a good copy.

If you are portraying a foot officer, my suggestion would be to utilize the appropriate model.

As an aside, when I rode cavalry, I used an original saber that was the forerunner of the light cavalry saber commonly referred to as the "Wristbreaker" because it was heavier. I paid 50 bucks for it over 30 years ago and still have it. (The Wristbreaker was used in the war by several regiments including the 5th Iowa Cavalry which was the subject of my thesis.)

Incidentally, on the History Channel's pawn broker show last evening, the owners were quite taken with a "cavalry saber" brought into their shop for sale. These "experts", including an outside resource who is the Las Vegas weapons guru, failed to recognize what is actually an 1860 model Light Artillery Saber patterned after a French model! The "expert" valued it between 2 and 4,000.00! :laugh:
Last edited by Kerflumoxed on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

I know I was shocked about how he couldn't recognize it I was going what the hell the thing is at least $3,000 in that kind of a condition.
Alright I will take you up on your advice and maybe I will try joining a cavalry unit (not as much walking) I just need to learn how to ride a horse all over again. :laugh:
Last edited by Joshua l.Chamberlain on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

I know I was shocked about how he couldn't recognize it I was going what the hell the thing is at least $3,000 in that kind of a condition.
Alright I will take you up on your advice and maybe I will try joining a cavalry unit (not as much walking) I just need to learn how to ride a horse all over again. :laugh:
Had to chuckle the way he "confirmed" that it had been used in the war - a few nicks on the blade! I am ashamed to admit that the few nicks on the blade of my Wristbreaker were the result of my participation in farb-fights at reenactments in my younger, ignorant days! I suspect I am not along in that, however.

I can recall during the Civil War Centennial there was the "original" group of Living Historians who participated in NPS demonstrations at that time wearing original uniforms! I still have a catalog advertising original cavalry unirorm jackets (commonly call "shell" jackets) for $29.95 and lt. arty uniform jackets for 24.95! The "original" group was composed of NPS personnel and nicknamed the "Bummers." Quite impressive, especially for those who wore Penny's gray workshirts and trousers! :laugh:

As to horses...well, have spent many hours in the saddle both as a working cowboy in my younger days and on the modern CW trail. It's kind of like riding the "proverbial" bicycle...you never really forget! And, as the old adage goes, "A man who says he has never been throwed, has never rode!" :woohoo:
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Kerflumoxed wrote:
Had to chuckle the way he "confirmed" that it had been used in the war - a few nicks on the blade! I am ashamed to admit that the few nicks on the blade of my Wristbreaker were the result of my participation in farb-fights at reenactments in my younger, ignorant days! I suspect I am not along in that, however.

I can recall during the Civil War Centennial there was the "original" group of Living Historians who participated in NPS demonstrations at that time wearing original uniforms! I still have a catalog advertising original cavalry unirorm jackets (commonly call "shell" jackets) for $29.95 and lt. arty uniform jackets for 24.95! The "original" group was composed of NPS personnel and nicknamed the "Bummers." Quite impressive, especially for those who wore Penny's gray workshirts and trousers! :laugh:

As to horses...well, have spent many hours in the saddle both as a working cowboy in my younger days and on the modern CW trail. It's kind of like riding the "proverbial" bicycle...you never really forget! And, as the old adage goes, "A man who says he has never been throwed, has never rode!" :woohoo:
Well I wasn't going for a shell jacket was never a fan of it I was going for a frock coat.