Moddable AI formations

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
oho
Reactions:

Re: Moddable AI formations

Post by oho »

I tried to take comand and move a battalion manually in column by division into shooting distance, but it automatically moves into line formation and only after it starts firing. This was often not the case on the battle field and staying in column of division perhaps resolves the issue of overlapping lines because there simply is more space to manouver. Can we mod this behavour too?
oho
Reactions:

Post by oho »

I've read, that it was the doctrine but it was more often than not not executed, because it was a complicated manouver. So why not stay in column by division unless < 200 yards and only deploy on line when there are no other units left or right. Maybe that is a bigger problem for programmers, because the program can't distinct between the oposing enemy on the front, and the units left and right that maybe pose an overlapping problem.

Its a good point that the battalion 'attack column' (column of divisions) was only used to close the distance with the enemy - despite perhaps what the adventures of Dick Sharpe may lead us to believe the French doctrine was to deploy into line when they had closed to within musket range

There is a problem at the moment with the AI using line formations far too much and frankly it cannot handle them very well leading to the mess we see at the moment.
Perhaps the AI should be set to use column of divisions up until the point when it is <200 yards from an enemy and them switch to line.
mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

I tried to take comand and move a battalion manually in column by division into shooting distance, but it automatically moves into line formation and only after it starts firing. This was often not the case on the battle field and staying in column of division perhaps resolves the issue of overlapping lines because there simply is more space to manouver. Can we mod this behavour too?
With TC you have to use the Attack March in combination with the Movement to force march until the end
Can we mod this behavour too?
Yes, all of this can be modded.
Visit my wargames blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/