Maps as promissed...

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
MarkT
Reactions:

Re: Maps as promissed...

Post by MarkT »

Martin, Thank You.

Reb,
Yup, My Golf season is nearing too. Just officially retired. I probably play 4-5 days a week.

You are NEVER too old to make maps.
If you sign up to make maps, I wrote a fairly good tutorial how to do it.
I would be more than happy to assist you.

What I want to learn if this Windows 10 pro thing gets fixed is to do the building models.

The map thing is fun...

I will probably try a Nap map just to do one more.
Mark S. Tewes
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

Thanks Mark....

I'll look up the tutorial, you didn't do a tutorial on writing scenarios? I find the existing instructions too intimidating....

I'm also just retired, I play two-three times a week....love it....Anyways, advancing to the south on your Random Map....getting my butt trounced, can't find good ground yet to attain a defensive position.

Thanks again,
the reb
MarkT
Reactions:

Post by MarkT »

Reb,
I wrote the NSD tutorial on scenario creation. It may look intimidating, but it covers all step by step. Plus much more has been added to it.

UPDATE - Chickamauga is virtually complete.
Just need to add location Names and Sounds....
Then I create a multi-player scenario.

Hope you like trees and a lot of map to get lost in. :)
Mark S. Tewes
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

Hi Mark,

I scrolled through your scenarios and found that most will not complete the loading. BR1 was successful, but m,any of the others will go through the loading process, but after hitting "Press Space Bar...." the screen goes black and I get the "Microsoft" error message. Suggestions?

Where is the latest post on your scenario tutorial?

Thanks,
reb
MarkT
Reactions:

Post by MarkT »

Scenarios crash- hmmm Go to you log file (SOWGB.Log) in the Work folder of the game.
after a crash, look at this file. I should tell you what did not work.
Some of the "error messages: are not Microsoft, they relate to the game. so list them here.

Try the load in sandbox.

Make sure you have all the necessary games Chancellorsville etc

They should work, but testing is a bit difficult. (win 10)

Most of the problem with some of the scenarios is the flakey OOB. I had to spend a lot of time to get them to work. (someone else's creation)

The scenario editor is part of the NSD documentation package SDK
It is liste here somewhere. This contains all the stuff you need to work with. Put the SDK folder in your Work folder of the game. Look for the file "SOW-GB_SDK v106.pdf" This will cover modding.
Last edited by MarkT on Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark S. Tewes
MarkT
Reactions:

Post by MarkT »

:woohoo: CHICKAMAUGA RELEASE :woohoo:
You must have Chancellorsville to use this.

This link contains a 7.5 mil map of the Chickamauga Battlefield. This coves everything from Rossville gap to Lee and Gordon Mills, Missionary Ridge to Peevine Ridge.
All done up in the colors of the fall of September, 1863

This also comes with a complete, correct, Order of battle and two Scenarios of forces at the start of the battle.

Chattanooga is on it's way.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/udwezimfc88mv ... n.zip?dl=0

Again, I cannot post this for long, so get it while it is hot.
Last edited by MarkT on Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark S. Tewes
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

Once again, Thanks Mark. The crash was a game crash not a Microsoft....sorry....Will in vestigate futher. Seemed odd that the one scenario (BR1) loaded but others did not? Can't wait to unzip new map.....

the reb....
MarkT
Reactions:

Post by MarkT »

There seemed to be a dds error on Chickamauga. I corrected it, and it STILL works on mine,
as far as I can test. I forget what compression the dds needs... (a no document thing)
I will be unavailable for the rest of the day. please post if it now works......

thanks.

Reb,
If one scenario works and another one doesn't, it is likely the scenario.

My big issue is I am a god awful typist and it takes me too much time to reply.
need the log file posted
Mark S. Tewes
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

There seemed to be a dds error on Chickamauga. I corrected it, and it STILL works on mine,
as far as I can test. I forget what compression the dds needs... (a no document thing)
I Downloaded the Map several hours age, I'm not showing any dds error in the log file.

Most of the terrain files are saved as DXT3 ARGB 8bpp \ explicit alpha .

I think that as long as the file is divided by four there shouldn't be any problems.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

Beautiful map of Chickamauga....some fine ground there.

I'm still having issues with scenarios crashing. I successfully installed Patch 1.61 which did not resolve issue. I turned off other mods, didn't help. All other stock scenarios work fine.

Now once again, please excuse my dumbness, but where is the log file located? After the crash, the error screen gives me an extension report of the errors which means nothing to me. Information was titled Exception Information, then System Information, then Module information from 1 to 63 , then Thread 1 and then a never ending bank of numbers in columns?

Running XP if that would be the issue? I assume the scenarios remain in the same Campaign folders which are installed in the Mods Folder or do the scenarios need separated into the Works Folder? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Once nice thing about these big maps is that in sandbox, you have time to organize your army before the enemy appears.....

the reb....
Last edited by the reb on Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: New information