Favorite Brigade to Use?

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Ephrum
Reactions:

Re:Favorite Brigade to Use?

Post by Ephrum »

On the Confederate side I'll take Col Abner Perrin's brigade because my Great(x3) Grandfather served in the 14th South Carolina.

On the Union side, without a doubt, the Iron Brigade.
OHIO UNIVERSITY
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

The Iron Brigade of course.
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

For the Union - Carroll's Brigade. Two of the Reenacting Companies I have commanded come from Regiments in that Brigade - 14th. Indiana and 7th. West Virginia.

For the Confederacy - Brockenbough's Brigade. It contains the 47th. Virginia, the unit I served with while stationed at Quantico. I served thru the entire 125th. Anniversary series of battles in the east.
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
O. O. Howard
Reactions:

Post by O. O. Howard »

Chonaman wrote:
After all the times I've watched Gettysburg, I'd be a liar if I didn't admit to wanting to have Chamberlain and the 20th Maine under my command..
That's where I am the exact opposite. Aside from believing that the 20th Maine (although good) is over-hyped, if you rout the enemy with the 20th Maine or Iron Brigade, your opponent will say he was hit by some kind of elite unit. But, if I hammer some poor Reb with Schimmelfennig (82ILL, 45 NY, 157 NY, 61 OH, 74 PA), Shaler (65 NY, 67 NY, 122 NY, 23 PA, 82nd PA) or a similarly less media friendly brigade, the enemy is going to end up thinking: "Who were those guys????"

Imagine if someone establishes a reputation to the extent that opponents see him on the field and think: "Oh no...never mind the Black Hats, it's.... Krzyzanowski's Brigade!"
Last edited by O. O. Howard on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Dreux
Reactions:

Post by Colonel Dreux »

Haha. I was thinking the same thing... rectifying Schimmelfenning's July 1 could be fun. On the Confederate side it could be Joseph Davis' brigade, one of the many North Carolina brigades (excepting Daniel's and Ramseur's brigade), and William "Extra Billy" Smith's brigade.
69th NYSV
Reactions:

Post by 69th NYSV »

While I agree with what you guys are saying, I'm looking forward to using the "Texas Brigade" since my reenactment unit is the 4th Texas.
Pvt., 4th Texas Infantry, Co. B
UglyElmo
Reactions:

Post by UglyElmo »

I want the brigade with the least morale . . . gotta keep up my status as the King of Rout. :laugh:
For any prior or future Ugly's out there, my contact info:
el-marko1@insightbb.com
Chonaman
Reactions:

Post by Chonaman »

O. O. Howard wrote:
Chonaman wrote:
After all the times I've watched Gettysburg, I'd be a liar if I didn't admit to wanting to have Chamberlain and the 20th Maine under my command..
That's where I am the exact opposite. Aside from believing that the 20th Maine (although good) is over-hyped, if you rout the enemy with the 20th Maine or Iron Brigade, your opponent will say he was hit by some kind of elite unit. But, if I hammer some poor Reb with Schimmelfennig (82ILL, 45 NY, 157 NY, 61 OH, 74 PA), Shaler (65 NY, 67 NY, 122 NY, 23 PA, 82nd PA) or a similarly less media friendly brigade, the enemy is going to end up thinking: "Who were those guys????"

Imagine if someone establishes a reputation to the extent that opponents see him on the field and think: "Oh no...never mind the Black Hats, it's.... Krzyzanowski's Brigade!"
:lol: In online play, I totally agree that reputations will be made using to the player's best abilities whatever tools they have at their disposal. We'll have to come up with a 'handicapping system' based on the relative strength of a command. I can imagine a player with Krzysanowski's command having a marginally negative score vs Early's brigade, and that being a Major Victory, for instance... especially if none of K'man's units are routed...

I like a challenge as much as anyone, but I enjoy all elements of playing, not just the toughest command in terms of troop quality!
Last edited by Chonaman on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JReynolds
Reactions:

Post by JReynolds »

It would be even more fun if you online opponents could see what user they were fighting. As you gain more victories...it would be quite fun if you saw Chonaman commanding the troops in front of you...I would be shaking in my boots!
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Of all the brigades in the Union army - I believe there is not one as good as the 1st or 2nd regular brigade. Always put in the breech when needed, taking tremendous casualties, but also always standing up and doing their duty.

In command of the regulars, on a good position, and I'll tear apart anything coming at me (with the help of a few cannon). :)
Hancock the Superb