cannon fire

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Re:cannon fire

Post by BOSTON »

Hancock the Superb wrote:
Mythbusters is the name.
How about "Game Busters" featuring Norb and Jim! :laugh:
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Jim wrote:

I spent a lot of time doing numerical modeling of this issue and have the spreadsheets to prove it. The one missing item is hard data on the angle of divergence. I would pay cash for an artillery reenactor unit to fire an 1863 grade canister round at a large target at 200 yards from a 12 lb Napoleon and from a 3 in Ordnance rifle. This would provide the hard data needed to make the modeling really accurate.

-Jim
Tonights' Military Channel segment about Picket's Charge (2002) showed a demonstration about the effects of cannister on siloetts fired what I believe was a 3 inch gun, not much data included in the show, but I'd have to think someone did their homework before the show and did more than one or two shots for demonstration, possibly some results as to what you are looking for.

Hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
dragoon47
Reactions:

Post by dragoon47 »

Hancock the Superb wrote:
One last request - can routed guns not move? I think that the men should run away - the gun should stay as a reminder of what actually happened.
This idea wouldn't be too hard to implement would it? Maybe only have the horse and the caison run away? Actually...no...it wouldn't work would it :unsure: ? Hmmmm.....
Last edited by dragoon47 on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

Just leave some dead dudes around the gun have the horse carceses neaby along with the cason and the troops just run away like a infantry unit.
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

Jim wrote:
Another explanation is that the spin has two effects. First it concentrates the shot towards the outer edge of the pattern 'overkilling' those caught by the edge of the pattern and leaving few shot in the middle of the pattern. Second, is that the spin made the angle of divergence higher so that the shot spread out faster. It is important to remember that there were only 27 shot in a canister round in 1863. While the individual shot would carry to beyond 500 yards, at that range, the pattern was so wide that perhaps only a few shot would pass through the frontage occupied by marching soldiers.

I spent a lot of time doing numerical modeling of this issue and have the spreadsheets to prove it. The one missing item is hard data on the angle of divergence. I would pay cash for an artillery reenactor unit to fire an 1863 grade canister round at a large target at 200 yards from a 12 lb Napoleon and from a 3 in Ordnance rifle. This would provide the hard data needed to make the modeling really accurate.

-Jim
From John Gibbon's Artillery Manual

Grape and Canister shot leave the piece diverging from each other, in the form of a cone, the greater part of the balls being in the centre, and the extreme ones separating about one-tenth of the range. When fired at too short a distance, the balls occupy too small a space to produce the proper effect; and at too great a distance they diverge too much, and strike on too extended a surface. Good results can be obtained at from 300 to 600 yards, but the maximum effect is produced at from 300 to 450 yards. When firing at very short distances over hard, dry ground, a suitable dispersion of the balls may be produced by firing very low, and allowing the balls to ricochet.

The range and effect of grape-shot become greater, at ordinary distances, as the size of the balls is increased. For this reason, the grape from 12-pdr. guns and 32-pdr. howitzers, is more effective than that from 6-pdr. guns and 12 or 24-pdr. howitzers, and the 6-pdr. Grape is no longer used in the United States.*

* Grape-shot is now no longer used with any of our field-pieces.

If the balls ricochet over-hard, dry ground, grape-shot may be effective up to 800 yards, and the pointing is of but little importance; but with broken or soft ground, ricocheting cannot be depended on, and the angle of elevation should be regulated with care.

To ascertain the distance by the report of firearms, multiply the number of seconds which elapse between seeing the flash and hearing the report by 1,100; the product will be nearly the distance in feet.

http://www.usregulars.com/gibbons/gibbons_intro.htm
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Where did you find that?
Hancock the Superb
Chris G.
Reactions:

Post by Chris G. »

Last edited by Chris G. on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.