Cavalry

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Chris G.
Reactions:

Re:Cavalry

Post by Chris G. »

Eastern theatre cavalry....send 'em out to find the enemy then send them to the rear and let the grunts do the work. Ever wonder why they spent so much time riding around each others armies instead of riding THROUGH each others armies...:)
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Hancock the Superb wrote:
CAVALRY!!!
'Atta boy there young Hancock!:cheer:
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Chris G. wrote:
Eastern theatre cavalry....send 'em out to find the enemy then send them to the rear and let the grunts do the work. Ever wonder why they spent so much time riding around each others armies instead of riding THROUGH each others armies...:)
It might have been courageous, brave and bold (F troop) for the cavalry to charge the enemy every time, however, it would come at a cost. The loss of cavalrymen and especially horses would have made the cavalry ineffectual or possibly wiped out in a short time. Cavalrymen took longer to train than a grunt, also to replace horses was proving to be a problem too.

Hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Chris G.
Reactions:

Post by Chris G. »

Exactly. I think TC2M reflects that well. When it starts getting hot they haul.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Chris G. wrote:
Exactly. I think TC2M reflects that well. When it starts getting hot they haul.
Keep in mind as the war progressed that more regiments were going from a smooth bore arms (kill zone 100yds.) to rifled arms (1000yds.), that the cavalry could be picked off at greater distances making their sabers less effectual against rifles with boyonets and seldom routing infantry units. As far as game development goes,let's see what J C comes up with.

Hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Gfran64
Reactions:

Post by Gfran64 »

HM4,

I see you have been retaining what you have read. You're going to be a fine officer.

Regards,

Greg B)
Last edited by Gfran64 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Greg

Moo-cho Gracias! Only a hundred more pages to go. :laugh:

HM4
Last edited by BOSTON on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

I just played Banks (2) without using the infantry, only the 3 calvary brigades, and I must say, TC2M doesn't do such a bad job in the area. I just don't think it is used in the scenarios properly. I charged in with one brigade, ready to clear out the three regiments stationed at Matthew's Hill, found that one was flanking me on one side, and two were coming in from the rear. It took some hard riding and exhausted horses to get back to Buck Hill. I used my calvary as infantry, so not many charges were made. My problem is is that I hate the idea of individual calvary companies when I have them in line formation. Sometimes I like the individual companies, but then when I put them in single line, I expect them to get together and form the regiment. If I push double-line, then I expect a single line to the front, and a single line to the back, so I have more coverage area. If I have them broken up, then I like that. Another problem is how fast they more - no faster than infantry. There should be several speeds for calvary, walk, trot, gallop, charge...

Lastly, I noticed that when an enemy regiment was being beaten back, they would charge, very annoying when the Union calvary performs terribly anyway.
Hancock the Superb
7th Wisconsin
Reactions:

Post by 7th Wisconsin »

That *^$)$@ scenario has kept me from finishing TC2M for a looong time. Cavalry is like math...I don't care for it and as a result I'm not very good at it.
Who is John Galt?
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

By the way, I got a grand score of 23 points, only using 2 of the three calvary brigades. I never made it to the VP, but I was just doing it for fun.

I launched a grand total of 4 charges, was almost cut-off on the first, mauled on the second, did well on the third until I both enemy brigades were brought up, and mauled several enemy regiments (actual regiments, not just battalions) on the fourth. Then, I was done with all 90 minutes of the scenario. Very addicting. It is amazing to watch the troops move across the field, get along a fence, dismount, and attack. Then, another regiment gets thrown in the fray, rushes into the wheatfield, gets flanked, retreats, another 2 regiments go and battle the flanking regiment, another enemy regiment comes up to support. The rest of my brigade forward, defeats two enemy regiments, mauled by 3 more enemy regiments riding up, etc. A good fight for JC.
Hancock the Superb