Game crashes repeatedly when using this Mod???

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
tula1959
Reactions:

Re: Game crashes repeatedly when using this Mod???

Post by tula1959 »

Reporting in - Just had first crash since my last report! Have not yet tried the fix file you have provided yet, this crash was before I saw your post - and this crash is AFTER those sfx lines were removed...…

Pipe Creek scenario 1 - not even five minutes in to it, no Union units yet on the field, just Longstreet's Corps starting to move….

Am attaching the log file for what it is worth to you...

Will try your fixed file and keep you posted!
Attachments

[The extension log has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

tula1959
Reactions:

Post by tula1959 »

Ok - installed your fix file! Sorry to report that Pipe Creek 1 just crashed it again, on the very first command given to a brigade (it was a road march order)…. After the fix install I did start the scenario over and got a good way along without a crash - but my command had degenerated into such confusion that I decided to start over yet again...it was that next go that crashed immediately!

Here is the log file for this one - though from looking at same I can see no useful information..
Attachments

RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Yeah, logs are clean except for PR: (WARNING) Device Lost, usually that PowerRender error resets itself, or crashes the game. Why it wasn't on your second log after a CTD I don't know. Regardless, something's stressing the game enough to crash.

I'll find some time to check out this scenario with B&F. I didn't design it but I tested it years ago. Maybe a patch since then caused an issue with B&F's latest updates. My goal is to recreate your crash.

Also I'll try to beat the scenario and give you some pointers if successful. My only basic pointers for Corps play is trust some Generals to lead their troops successfully, while you micromanage the hell out of others. And don't forget your guns, move and position them effectively.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
tula1959
Reactions:

Post by tula1959 »

Yikes! Another crash today! Still staying with PC1 with your fix file for sake of continuity...
Again trigger was the "use roads" command...

Here is the exact sequence of commands -

1. select a unit
2. select destination somewhere up a road
3. select "column" formation for infantry / "column by sections" for artillery
4. select "use roads"

For you to try and recreate/trigger a crash I suggest you try this - Start the scenario fresh - Anderson's brigade is up front sitting by the road, take one regiment at a time and do the above sequence to each in turn - and keep doing the same with the next brigade's regiments or artillery battalion, etc..and keep doing it for a good while.. Let me know if you bring on a crash???

Another thought I had - remember I am running Win10 here with the game set to Win7 compatible - maybe that has something to do with issue??? Are you running Win10???
Attachments

tula1959
Reactions:

Post by tula1959 »

Just did it again.... It is clear at this point that it IS the "use roads" command that triggers for whatever reason.... :angry:
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Played PC1 for the full two hours, numerous road march commands by regiment, brigade, division and all artillery levels...No crashes.

I'm running Win7, maybe Win10 is the issue for your CTDs. I always run two mods along with B&F. If you want to try them and see if they help, they smooth out play some, the unit sprites being on larger texture sheets, here are the links:

Prioritize the cavalry mod above B&F
http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifi ... -4k-packed

Prioritize the infantry mod below B&F
http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifi ... -bloodfest

For this Major Victory I took the center objective with the full Corps, held that objective with a division, then sent the other division southwest. Eventually took the northeast objective but didn't need the points by then as I was well over the MV bar.
The attachment PC1MajorVictory.jpg is no longer available
The attachment PC1.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
PC1.jpg
PC1.jpg (197.09 KiB) Viewed 180 times
PC1MajorVictory.jpg
PC1MajorVictory.jpg (394.02 KiB) Viewed 180 times
Last edited by RebBugler on Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tula1959
Reactions:

Post by tula1959 »

Sounds great Reb!! I on the other hand just started my first PC1 play session of the day (decided to press on with my reduced game screen :( ) and five minutes in to it gave my first "use roads" command - and immediate crash!!!OMG!!
Having reinstalled the game in the screen battle yesterday I have the original Mod set up (no removal of the sfx lines and no fix you gave). This was a save in progress from last night. Man it is a LONG climb up to that Union line!!!

I am aiming to win the award for the MOST unheard of problems with SOW - seems like I am well on my way!! LOL
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Have you tried unchecking the Show Road Path Icons option? Perhaps this is the Win10 glitch.

The attachment Optionsroadpathingicons.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
Optionsroadpathingicons.jpg
Optionsroadpathingicons.jpg (251.51 KiB) Viewed 180 times
tula1959
Reactions:

Post by tula1959 »

No I have not tried that!! As long as we keep coming up with things to try hope springs eternal !!!
Since the last crash I did remove those March lines from the sfx - I will put the orig sfx file back in for purposes of testing the road icon path idea!
tula1959
Reactions:

Post by tula1959 »

By the way, why is this forum soooo quiet??? And why is there no Slitherine/Matrix forum for SOW???
I spent all last year on OOB-WW2 and the forums there are very active with lots of traffic!!
Is it that SOW players are unaware that the forum is at Norbsoft??? Or are there just not that many SOW players??