Any mod which alters amount of staffers with generals?

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Any mod which alters amount of staffers with generals?

Post by RebBugler »

@roy64 - Question - have you ever edited an "OOB" - if the Commanding Officer has a "1" in a slot, and this has to be changed to an "8" can you change that?

Basically, the Mod will add additional units to the Commander Only, but in order for this to work, that number has to be changed.

The Mod that "Reb" has done has a lot of different "OOB's" so you would have to manually change them.

Is this do-able?

I haven't seen a post from "Reb" lately, "Reb" you still out there?

davinci
I've found that it's pretty simple to add extra officers, just duplicate any officer as many times as needed and rename each additional NameID (I just number each dupe). I've done this to place objectives by also renaming the officer (3rd column) to the objective name, then sending out the dupes to where you want the objectives set. Once they're positioned hit 'startlocs' and you've got all your objectives and their position coordinates lined up and ready to copy to the maplocations.csv file.

Now, after following this thread some, I've never tried to add staff officers. I assume it's similar to my above process, but you lost me with the unitglobal entries, and especially the designing of a formation with just officers. Besides the realism of having staff officers, I'm guessing the only practical rational for such a mod is to have extra officers available for scouting purposes, or maybe use the 'Guard' command to give regiments a permanent officer for officer bonus purposes. Regardless, some interesting mod ideas, glad to see new innovations still happening with folks squeezing out as much as possible to keep this game renewed.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Now, after following this thread some, I've never tried to add staff officers. I assume it's similar to my above process, but you lost me with the unitglobal entries, and especially the designing of a formation with just officers.
Come on Now "Reb" - You are a much better "Modder" than I have ever been!
Besides the realism of having staff officers, I'm guessing the only practical rational for such a mod is to have extra officers available for scouting purposes, or maybe use the 'Guard' command to give regiments a permanent officer for officer bonus purposes.
They can't be used for any scouting unless the Commander of the Army is going with them, they are all tied together.

Hey, when you find the time, can you test that Mod out to make sure that it doesn't interfere with any of your designs. It was sort of a quick Mod, I haven't played this game all year!

Thanks, and it's nice to see that you are still around and active!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

The Commanding Officer had 3 sprites & looked ok, I had a quick sandbox battle with no problems.
Hmm, He should have three in front of his position, and two more behind him awaiting orders.

The spacing is off due to the fact that I have larger sprites than the default game, I will adjust that!

Basically, I wanted to make sure that it worked without any problems, if it does than I will go back over and adjust as needed.
The attachment 1_2019-03-17.jpg is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
1_2019-03-17.jpg
1_2019-03-17.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 175 times
Last edited by Davinci on Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

This is how your mod looks.

Last edited by roy64 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leicestershire
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

OK, I brought them a little bit closer together, and turned some of them as if they are talking.

Delete the other one, this one is called "Staff2"

Also - are you playing with a reduced ratio of men showing?

I disabled all of my Mods - so it should be ( nine ) including the General.

If it works, let me know which OOB you play on the most, and I will edit those also.

The Confederates can have a better mixture since some of them did wear blue uniforms.
The attachment 2_2019-03-17.jpg is no longer available
The attachment Staff2.rar is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
2_2019-03-17.jpg
2_2019-03-17.jpg (644.98 KiB) Viewed 175 times
Staff2.rar
(27.89 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

My sprite ratio was set at 6 so I changed it to 1 which you can see in the picture. I don't have a favourite OOB I just play randomly.

Leicestershire
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Hmm, for some reason the Mod is producing different results.

When they are moving they should be in a sort of formation, like the picture below.

When they stop, some of them are supposed to turn. It might have something to do with the way that "Reb" and myself number the sprites, not sure.

Yours appears to bunch up without turning, later on when I have the time I will play around more with this!
The attachment 3_2019-03-17.jpg is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
3_2019-03-17.jpg
3_2019-03-17.jpg (639.82 KiB) Viewed 175 times
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

...when you find the time, can you test that Mod out to make sure that it doesn't interfere with any of your designs. It was sort of a quick Mod...

Davinci
Ran a couple of 30 minute sessions with the mod prioritized below B&F and experienced no crashes. My only concern was the SLOW movement of the leader, and his inability to run, making him very vulnerable and otherwise useless...No one wants a sluggish commander. The staff formation appeared to work OK but the game engine didn't like your formations...The log file registered several hundred Bad Formation warnings.

These are only warnings so the player can live with them as long as the formation holds true and doesn't send units off the map into oblivion. Kinda like the warnings resulting in assigning a cavalry unit to an infantry brigade: The cavalry unit will get infantry formations from the brigade commander; the log file will cry foul; but no crashes.

Cool experiment, I was really surprised that the game didn't crash when I saw how you made it work by assigning Level 6 (regimental) formations and classifications to officers.
Last edited by RebBugler on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

My only concern was the SLOW movement of the leader, and his inability to run, making him very vulnerable and otherwise useless...No one wants a sluggish commander.
Believe it or Not, I didn't remember to change that considering that all of My units move at that speed and I have been playing like that for years. So when I see it, it's normal in all the games.

I stop the running, along with the Melee, years ago. The Courier moves at ( 8 ), I think that the default game uses ( 24 ), so he takes all day to deliver a message on a large map. This is why I can have a battle-line which will stretch too 7 or 8 miles.
The staff formation appeared to work OK but the game engine didn't like your formations...The log file registered several hundred Bad Formation warnings.

I'm not getting any in My log file, I have been using that formation for years now. But, I could have messed up on the numbering formations. I think that yours stopped at ( 110 ). So I used ( 111-112 ).
Cool experiment, I was really surprised that the game didn't crash when I saw how you made it work by assigning Level 6 (regimental) formations and classifications to officers.
The Commander really doesn't have a Stance, meaning that no formation is based off of his, but it probably would have worked if it was a Cavalry Formation also. This is why this can't be done with the Corps or Divisional Commanders - others units are dependent on their formation.

Thanks, for the Input!

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

The log file registered several hundred Bad Formation warnings.
"Reb" - Hey, can post "Copy and Paste" several of those warnings here, I would like to examine what lines they are listing as bad!

Thanks,

davinci