More MP Progress

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
dale
Reactions:

Re:More MP Progress

Post by dale »

Then again, to run away to fight again is a proven strategy. This is the advantage the Union has in having better boots.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

:laugh: :laugh:

I believe that the Union should be able to stand on the firing line longer, if for the only reason that they are larger than the reb regiments.
Hancock the Superb
Von_Clausewitz
Reactions:

Post by Von_Clausewitz »

sorry if i already missed the answer somewhere else but how many players will be supported in multiplayer in war3d?

VC
estabu2
Reactions:

Post by estabu2 »

If I am not mistaken, it should support however many commanders are on the field. So however many brigade, division, corps, and army commanders are available to be chosen.
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

The answer is that we don't really know what the limit on number of MP commanders is or is not. When we expand into the large beta test, that is one of the things that will be explicitly tested. The inherent design of MP *should* be relatively insensitive to the number of people connected. Only the testing will tell us if the *should* is actually correct and for how many.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Von_Clausewitz
Reactions:

Post by Von_Clausewitz »

I am speechless as to the possibility even of having this many commanders on at once. Great job guys. Can't wait for the beta testing.

VC
JacktheRacer
Reactions:

Post by JacktheRacer »

I would imagine in this day and age it shouldn't be to hard to get at least 8 players in a game. Sid Meier's civil war games was up to 4 vs 4 and would usually drop a player or two after some time. They weren't very stable.

It would be amazing to see a 4 vs 4 or more. That would be super intense.

Will there be randomly generated battle for single and multiplayer?
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Yes, what we call sandbox is enabled for multiplayer.

Our limits are falling more into time and budget then technology. We are limited by working off hours and our budget does not cover the latest tools. So we do the best we can with what we can get. We hope to have 8 players working well in the game, time will tell.
Von_Clausewitz
Reactions:

Post by Von_Clausewitz »

Norb,

Investing in the multiplayer aspect of the game is well worth it's price. 3vs3 at least should be available IMHO. I belong to a large napoleonic community and I have been advertising war3DII extensively there. People are looking forward to it and they hope to maybe make a napoleonic mod for it. So I think taking a little extra time to make sure to provide a good multiplayer will be well worth it.

Best regards,
VC
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

I think our plan will be to continually grow the engine. We will release GB with the current version, then keep upgrading it. We release an expansion with more features and a better version and just keep moving on. I believe with this model we may be able to continue working on the game. We certainly cannot start from scratch every time, so we have to just keep building and improving what we have.