Stationary Troop terrain bonus?

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Amish John
Reactions:

Re:Stationary Troop terrain bonus?

Post by Amish John »

Hancock the Superb wrote:
Very little in the way of fortifications were built during the battle. On day 1, neither side built anything. During that night, troops built lunettes on Cemetary Hill. Morning of Day 2 - continued work on lunettes, fortifications on Culps and mid-Cemetary Ridge. Nothing in the south of the battlefield, with the exception of Chamberlain. Day 3 - no fortifications.
What about:

The barriades in front (west) of the Seminary Building
The in-town barricades
Barricades bewteen the Seminary Building and the Cashtown Pike
Earthworks south of the current PA Monument
Vincent's brigade's stone walls (which includes Chamberlain's)
Works on Big Round Top
Breastworks north of Steven's Knoll (could be considered Culp's Hill works)
Works west of the triangular field
Confederate works on Seminary Ridge

These are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Some of these were small but I bet there would be a lot if we did more research.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Jim wrote:
The fortifications on Culps Hill were extensive and took hours to construct.

-Jim
http://bivouacbooks.com/bbv2i3s3.htm

A Thin Blue Line:
Meade's Union army at Gettysburg had assumed a defensive position in the form of ... At Culp's Hill he uses his timbering skill to build breastworks. ...bivouacbooks.com/bbv2i3s3.htm - Cached

It appears that the regiments on Culp's Hill were moving from one position to another fortifing, which would explain why they were busy for so long. I was of the impression they were only in one position fortifing all night., meaning the length of their individual regiments with gaps in between regiments.

Hoistingman4
Last edited by BOSTON on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
7th Wisconsin
Reactions:

Post by 7th Wisconsin »

I'm coming in late to the conversation. Why would fortifications present in scenarios need to be there in OP and MP? Couldn't a copy of the map be made before laying down the graphics for breastworks and be made available for OP and MP?

If the game has the ability to drop a sprite of a dead soldier, couldn't a sprite of some fallen logs be dropped, say 15 minutes after clicking the 'Fortify' button.
Or would it be impossible to assign that fallen log sprite a defensive bonus?

I'm not questioning anyone's design skills or knowledge, just curious.
Who is John Galt?
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

7th Wisconsin wrote:
If the game has the ability to drop a sprite of a dead soldier, couldn't a sprite of some fallen logs be dropped, say 15 minutes after clicking the 'Fortify' button. Or would it be impossible to assign that fallen log sprite a defensive bonus?
As was mentioned previously, this was done in SMG ten years ago, so I wonder why it can't be done in this game. Could be that nasty time & labor factor again.
Last edited by Amish John on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

7th Wisconsin wrote:
[quote]I'm coming in late to the conversation. Why would fortifications present in scenarios need to be there in OP and MP? Couldn't a copy of the map be made before laying down the graphics for breastworks and be made available for OP and MP?
quote]

IIRC fortifications (entrenchments/breastworks) might have been only utilitized in SP, but not MP and placed by the designers, not sure about OP. I know Jim wrote a post covering the subject, it might be under the "Entrenchment" thread.

HM4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

hoistingman4 wrote:
7th Wisconsin wrote:
I'm coming in late to the conversation. Why would fortifications present in scenarios need to be there in OP and MP? Couldn't a copy of the map be made before laying down the graphics for breastworks and be made available for OP and MP?
quote]

IIRC fortifications (entrenchments/breastworks) might have been only utilitized in SP, but not MP and placed by the designers, not sure about OP. I know Jim wrote a post covering the subject, it might be under the "Entrenchment" thread.

HM4
I can't find the Jim's quote, so now I can't be sure that what I said is correct, Hopefully he'll answer your question.
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Amish John wrote:
7th Wisconsin wrote:
If the game has the ability to drop a sprite of a dead soldier, couldn't a sprite of some fallen logs be dropped, say 15 minutes after clicking the 'Fortify' button. Or would it be impossible to assign that fallen log sprite a defensive bonus?
As was mentioned previously, this was done in SMG ten years ago, so I wonder why it can't be done in this game. Could be that nasty time & labor factor again.
I know that I give the same reason all the time, but it's true. There's just a giant list of stuff that we want to do and stuff we have to do. The want to do stuff is getting pushed down because the have to do stuff is taking so long. Things that should be done and we really want to do might have to wait for a patch or an expansion.
Gfran64
Reactions:

Post by Gfran64 »

Hi all,

Found some M. Brady photos in the Library of Congress of LRT,Devil's Den and the Union left which illustrate the crude breastworks the troops had made in that area of the battlefield.

Enjoy,

Greg B)

Link as follows: http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/v?a ... 5-0209:T11
Last edited by Gfran64 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Hi Greg

This is the book that should arrive soon.

Field Armies and Fortifications in the Civil War: The Eastern Campaigns ...
... D. Jamieson, Air Force Historical Studies OfficeBy Earl J. HessUniversity of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill ... By Earl J. Hess. University of North ...historynet.com/field-armies-and-fortifications-in-the-civil-war-the... - 56k - Cached

There is alot of info on line, but so often it's piecemeal. example; one line about the subject buried three quarters of the way through a 10,000 word article, pictures without descriptions, dead sites, sometimes decent sites, but not fulfilling, of course the sites that want to solicit your money or that you have to sign up for to get information content, which may or may not be of any value. It's fun in a way to research, however, I would,nt say a PITA, more like a PITBs. :laugh:

Hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston