More MP Progress

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Von_Clausewitz
Reactions:

Re:More MP Progress

Post by Von_Clausewitz »

I agree with you that you cannot restart from scratch but keep upgrading with time. But I did not quite understand the connection with MP aspect. Does the engine currently not support 3 vs 3 or 4 vs 4 ?
Because from what I read here it sounded that it is possible.

VC
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

There are NO limitations on what it can support right now. If we had the best hardware on a lan, we could play 64. The limits will come in as we test, as to what seems practical and what machines can bear.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

All right then! Well all have a party the moment we all get the game - 10 hours of nonstop multiplayer action - the whole forum. How does that sound?:laugh:
Hancock the Superb
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Hancock the Superb wrote:
All right then! Well all have a party the moment we all get the game - 10 hours of nonstop multiplayer action - the whole forum. How does that sound?:laugh:
:silly:
:silly:

Sounds Good !!!!

I'm in !!!!

:woohoo:
:woohoo:

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
ETF
Reactions:

Post by ETF »

I agree MP play is where it is at. Lets face it NO AI in the last 20 year of wargaming has ever been more than a tutorial assistant. It is amazing how many SP's still insist on a superiour AI. It just isn't possible IMHO. Oh well the day will come when only the most basic AI will exist for beginners and the rest will log on for intense exciting HUMAN interaction in wargaming. Maybe in another 20 years :)
ETF
Reactions:

Post by ETF »

norb wrote:
There are NO limitations on what it can support right now. If we had the best hardware on a lan, we could play 64. The limits will come in as we test, as to what seems practical and what machines can bear.
Wondering can MP's play against the AI for starters to get the feel of the game? Or if vertain "comanders" drop out will the AI pick up their command?

Hey maybe there is a use for an AI after all B)
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

ETF wrote:
I agree MP play is where it is at. Lets face it NO AI in the last 20 year of wargaming has ever been more than a tutorial assistant. It is amazing how many SP's still insist on a superiour AI. It just isn't possible IMHO. Oh well the day will come when only the most basic AI will exist for beginners and the rest will log on for intense exciting HUMAN interaction in wargaming. Maybe in another 20 years :)
I wish that I could work on AI all the time. I like the challenge, trying to make it better, smarter. Right now our AI is pretty good as far as AI goes, and that's mostly because I made it very random. But that's only as far as AI goes, playing against a human is a completely different experience.

But we will always cater to both crowds. The AI is still a huge part of the game, even in MP. So all of our efforts to improve it will affect both games.
Sire.Gauvain
Reactions:

Post by Sire.Gauvain »

Sound great !

Can't wait. :p
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

I found that when I was playing TC2M yesterday on hard that the AI was forming straight lines and actually attacking with a strategy not just throwing there men at me.
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Yes, I randomly have it do smart things sometimes :) Really the way I designed it is sort of like a system of rules with lots of randomness. One thing I didn't want was for it to be predictable. Sometimes it all works out, other times it looks stupid. I think that overall it's good, but I want to make sure that the impression is that you are fighting during the time period.