SOW Gettysburg and Win 8 ??

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
JohnVW
Reactions:

Re: SOW Gettysburg and Win 8 ??

Post by JohnVW »

no, actually it was the same scenario (same map)...but there were just 2 of us, and we were using the exact same mods (only B&F and Penn1862)...john
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

Oh ok, so the player who had the dfferent version of the map wasn't in that battle. That would explain why it loaded when the other ones didn't.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

yes, in the game I played 118 min (out of a 120 m in game) we both used exactly the same mods...in the 3-player game last night (which we tried many times) apparently 1 of us had a "terrain mod" on, and we didn't know it...
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

ok...just tried a 2-player game online, both using exactly the same mods...and I was "booted" after about 3 min of game time...got the same "windows has stopped working" message...this is really getting frustrating! we were hoping for a 3-player tonight, but I can't seem to stay "in the game" online since Win 8.1 64bit was installed...I've attached my log file (if it helps)...any ideas?? thanks!
Attachments

[The extension log has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

How many games have you tried with no mods that played all the way through?
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

we tried a 3-player game earlier this week...SOW sandbox, with no mods on at all...(we thought)...and after about 6-7 attempts we couldn't "connect/start"...after looking at the log file, it appeared that 1 player maybe did have a few mods on...so that wasn't a valid test...

just tried a short while ago...2-player game with 3 mods on (B&F, Penn1862, Textminimaps) and I was booted after about 2-3 min..."windows has stopped working"...I sent Norbsoft that log file...

we just now turned off all mods, and went back to the lobby and palyed about 15 min of a 2-player game with no issues...so...unfortunately (for me at least) it seems like the Mods and Win 8.1 simply do not mix at all...which is a shame, because I really enjoy them...

we're planning a 3-player custom scenario (with no mods) tonight, so that will be a legit "test"...
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

ok...played about 10-15 min of a 3-player game, NO MODS on by anyone...I got booted (only one using Win 8) and they could keep playing...I've attached the log file...john
Attachments

[The extension log has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

That sounds like the normal windows 8 crash. Thanks for reporting everything, I hope you continue to do so as it's useful if we can get some statistics on this crash happening with and without mods. I don't know anyone willing to play with no mods just to test this. :)

So far, with no mods, it looks like you've had one successful game, and this one that crashed? It's not enough data to draw any conclusions yet. Some of the people who had frequent win8 crashes in our MP games did occasionally play successfully.
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

no, this wasn't a normal crash...this has happened at least 7-8-9 times, with no mods, and only since I got a new PC win Win8...what is the "08:06:10 Unloading Level, 19:36:07 Loading Defined Lists" that is in the log just before I got booted?

I've been playing (through your lobby) for years, and never had a problem...my 2 friends with Win 7 have no problems...only me, and only since I got Win 8...all my firewalls/protection are "off"...in task manager nothing is really even running...I get through the lobby, into the game, and then after a very short while "i'm out"??

and Win 8 has not crashed or been an issue with any other program I have...just SOW...
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

By "normal windows 8 crash" I meant the crash that often occurs in SOW on windows 8. I agree, it seems to be an SOW problem -- I don't know of other games that crash often on windows 8 but not on 7.

This is really annoying, and like I said earlier, no definite fix has been found yet except for switching back to windows 7.