SOW Gettysburg and Win 8 ??

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
JohnVW
Reactions:

Re: SOW Gettysburg and Win 8 ??

Post by JohnVW »

no, I meant will doing this change anything I'd need to re-do with my router, or modem?
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

and, i'm not much of an IT guy...so I hope those instructions are simple!! B)
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

At least with my router, forwarding the port is like a two mouse click change, so even if you do want to change it back, it should be really simple. But it's up to you if you want to change it back or not after opening it. Shouldn't hurt anything.
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

Re: "two mouse click"...is that using the instructions linked above?
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

ok, I'm in the "Port Forward" program now (followed the link above), and have selected my router, etc...BUT now it wants to know what game i'm trying to port forward, and SOW isn't listed?
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

If it lets you just specify the port instead of picking a game from the list, the port is 31791.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

sorry, but I don't see any option for "specify the port"...instead it has me going in an creating a static IP address...do you know if the static IP is necessary, or did I just miss something that would have let me skip that? (I looked for somewhere to specify the port, but haven't seen anything relating to that just yet)...

I can't quite set my static IP because the program says it will temp bump me offline, and my wife (who works from home) is on a conf call and needs to be online...as soon as she's done I guess i'll setup the static IP...
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

ok:
- I was able to make my IP static
- BUT, then instructions then had me try and login into my router...the program gave me my IP address and how to do this, but when I put in the IP address and hit return all I get "401 Unauthorized Authorization required" (before I even get to the page/screen where i'd attempt to enter a name and password)...I have no idea how to get around that...
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

ok...I just got my router port-forwarded...now what? (smile)...when I go to the lobby I go to "connect direct to an IP address"...but the server IP is there? do I leave that alone, and then the other players type my ext IP address there? or do I also enter my IP address? thanks!
voltigeur
Reactions:

Post by voltigeur »

Select multiplayer from main menu, to host your game, click on the 'host' icon in the 'connect direct to an IP address' section (icon looks like a house). There is no need to enter your own IP in the server IP box when you're the host, as that box is used by other players to connect to your IP.

then give the other players your external (public) IP (not your internal one). If you don't know what your public IP is, bring up a browser and go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ - that will display your IP to give to your players.

good luck.
Last edited by voltigeur on Mon May 19, 2014 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.