SOW Gettysburg and Win 8 ??

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
JohnVW
Reactions:

Re: SOW Gettysburg and Win 8 ??

Post by JohnVW »

ok...somehow (ok, not somehow...followed your links you sent me)(smile) I was able to do the "port forward" (required about an hour on the c/s site with cisco c/s) and tried hosting a game...

results:

- game 1: played about 65-70min, no problems, I just had to leave
- game 2: played about 8-9 min, and I got booted (same as before)
- game 3: played 3 hrs, a 3-player game, WITH MODS...no problems

so...i'm not close to being an IT guy, but it sure seems to me that the major problem is with Win8 and the lobby server...(and again, it's not simply Win8 and SOW, because I can def play solo 24/7 with no problems...problems are always when I go "multi-player, with/without the MODS")...

hope this helps down the road...john
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

No, 2 of 3 games not crashing when not hosting through the lobby does not really indicate that the lobby is the problem. This is very little data so far. If you played 20 games with the lobby and 20 via IP, and the games with the lobby were 50% crashes while those via IP had one or two crashes, that would be stronger evidence.

How many singleplayer games have you played that did not crash? Have any singleplayer games crashed?

Personally I doubt that the *lobby* is the problem, and am not sure that's a worthwhile thing to test. But of course I could be wrong.
Last edited by Garnier on Mon May 19, 2014 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
voltigeur
Reactions:

Post by voltigeur »

A couple of thoughts (mainly for the devs) , has malformed/dropped udp packets been ruled out as cause of instability?

Given UDP is a streaming protocol it is always going to be unreliable. (is there an option for TCP or will it be too slow?)

In the pipedream world - what we really need for future game systems is a standalone server exe (preferably linux) and everyone connects in as clients. That would allow a large number of players to connect. I'm sure you'd find some volunteers willing to admin that (server hosting costs are a consideration of course).

cheers
Last edited by voltigeur on Mon May 19, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

zero crashes playing solo...and the one "quick crash" (8-9 min) might have been just a glitch...also, this is the first time 3 of us could play at all, and we played a 3hr scenario using several MODS...(before, the best was an occasional 2-player game, no MODS, that wouldn't crash...so I do think this made a diff)...we're going to try and play a few more this week so i'll keep you posted...
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

ok...

- tried 3-player game today, with me hosting
- had setup and used the Port Forward already, so we used this instead of the lobby
- other 2-players on Win 7, I was on Win 8.1
- no MODS on at all
- played 1+ hr, then both of them were booted
- attached log file here...is there anything in there that you can see?

thanks, john
Attachments

[The extension log has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

That looks like a typical internet disconnect, not related to the Win8 crash. I assume they just got disconnected so all three of you were still in game, but not connected -- so you couldn't see the stars in the upper right corner of the screen?
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
voltigeur
Reactions:

Post by voltigeur »

Yes it might be worth checking your own router logs to see if there was a disconnection with your ISP.
Otherwise you could call the ISP and check them to check for any dropouts around that time.

If it turns out to be internet related, ask the ISP to look at the connection logs to see if there's a history of dropouts, perhaps there's some line/cable issues that need to be resolved.
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

no...I was hosting and I could still play (although all 3 stars were gone)...they were completely "out of the game" (no SOW screen at all)...i'll check with the ISP today...
voltigeur
Reactions:

Post by voltigeur »

I don't think a WAN disconnect would knock you out of the game as you are locally connected, being the host. Could be wrong though.
Last edited by voltigeur on Wed May 28, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

again, will call ISP shortly...BUT keep in mind I only started hosting (and did the port forward) because ever since I went to Win 8 I was always being booted from the SOW lobby...so even if issue yesterday was because of my ISP, the main issue is still with Win 8...