Taking sides

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
O. O. Howard
Reactions:

Re:Taking sides

Post by O. O. Howard »

Gfran64 wrote:
Regarding Malvern Hill,

"I, Philip Kearney, an old soldier, enter my solemn protest against this order for retreat. We ought instead of retreating should follow up the enemy and take Richmond. And in full view of all responsible for such declaration, I say to you all, such an order can only be prompted by cowardice or treason." Philip Kearney

I'd say Kearney was probably way on the other side of "totter."

Regards,

Greg B)
Greg,

Awesome and powerful quote! You have gotta love someone who takes a stand like that. But... it wasn't a retreat. It was merely a "change of base." ;)

(Remember Army of the Potomac MP colleagues: Never retreat! If absolutely necessary, however, a change of base may be permissible depending on the army leadership.)

- Double O
Armchair General
Reactions:

Post by Armchair General »

O. O. Howard wrote:
Gfran64 wrote:
Regarding Malvern Hill,

"I, Philip Kearney, an old soldier, enter my solemn protest against this order for retreat. We ought instead of retreating should follow up the enemy and take Richmond. And in full view of all responsible for such declaration, I say to you all, such an order can only be prompted by cowardice or treason." Philip Kearney

Regards,

Greg B)
Greg,

Awesome and powerful quote! You have gotta love someone who takes a stand like that. But... it wasn't a retreat. It was merely a "change of base." ;)

(Remember Army of the Potomac MP colleagues: Never retreat! If absolutely necessary, however, a change of base may be permissible depending on the army leadership.)

- Double O

If Kearney had lived, he could have made one hell of a corps commander. He was a guy if the opening was there, he would go all in. And he wasn't one to lurk in the rear, at Williamsburg he held his sword in one hand, and the reins in his teeth!
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.
O. O. Howard
Reactions:

Post by O. O. Howard »

Armchair General wrote:
O. O. Howard wrote:
Gfran64 wrote:
Regarding Malvern Hill,

Regards,

Greg B)
Greg,

- Double O

If Kearney had lived, he could have made one hell of a corps commander. He was a guy if the opening was there, he would go all in. And he wasn't one to lurk in the rear, at Williamsburg he held his sword in one hand, and the reins in his teeth!
I had never thought of that, but you are right. Kearny definitely would have been a great corps commander.
Gfran64
Reactions:

Post by Gfran64 »

I would like to see a mod of an OOB with Kearney in command of III Corp on day 2 of Gettysburg. Same with Stonewall Jackson on day one.

Regards,

Greg B)
Last edited by Gfran64 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
O. O. Howard
Reactions:

Post by O. O. Howard »

Gfran64 wrote:
I would like to see a mod of an OOB with Kearney in command of III Corp on day 2 of Gettysburg. Same with Stonewall Jackson on day one.

Regards,

Greg B)
Or better yet... MP with you in command of III Corps on day 2 of Gettysburg (thinking as Kearny would). If we can get the rebels out of town we can go do that glove shopping we've talked about.

- Double O.
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

What Gfran said!

A Mod of the ANV in two Wings, with Longstreet and Jackson!
OHIO UNIVERSITY
O. O. Howard
Reactions:

Post by O. O. Howard »

Ephrum wrote:
What Gfran said!

A Mod of the ANV in two Wings, with Longstreet and Jackson!
That should be easy enough and could be interesting. There was even a 1st Day Scenario in SMG that had that "What if Jackson hadn't been killed (by his own men) scenario." I think it was called "Meeting Engagement Jackson Takes the Field" or something like that.
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

In the MMG Community Mod Pack, there's a Modded G-burg "what if" OOB that has Longstreet, Jackson, and Stuart.

I've had some fun with that one!
OHIO UNIVERSITY
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Jackson and Kearny are dead! No need to harrow them in their deaths by your commanding! If they were alive, they would die of shock of how terrible it was.

B) :laugh:
Hancock the Superb
O. O. Howard
Reactions:

Post by O. O. Howard »

Hancock the Superb wrote:
Jackson and Kearny are dead! No need to harrow them in their deaths by your commanding! If they were alive, they would die of shock of how terrible it was.

B) :laugh:
Hancock is dead too. I saw his tomb in Norristown. I didn't check inside to verify his presence, but I will go with the assumption that he is there and won't care much how we fight with his beloved 2nd Corps. Although I would have to agree that he would probably have some choice expletives if he could see how I have played 2nd Corps a few times (TC2M). I recently had the entire 1st Division (circa Gettsyburg) broken to pieces by the Texas Brigade alone! :blush:

- Double O