Mod: Shenandoah 1862

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Mod: Shenandoah 1862

Post by Hancock the Superb »

KERNSTOWN BETA IS OUT
You will need to put these files in your Mods/NSD Sample 1/OOBs (for the OOB_SB_sample2), and Mods/NSD Sample 1/Logistics (for the drills). There is change in gameplay, which affects the Confederate side, so I would advise playing as the Confederates first.

Remember, this is only a beta, and the oob is not quite complete. I will take in your suggestions and update it as I see fit. There is still a minimal amount of research to do still, and the OOB will be final produced shortly.

I thank you for your time.

ORIGINAL POST
Dear fellow members of this thread:

For the past two years, I have compiled a lengthy list of material (and subsequently "donating" over $300 to Barnes and Noble) for Jackson's famous Shenandoah Valley Campaign. [file name=Kernstown.zip size=9673]http://www.norbsoftdev.com/media/kunena ... nstown.zip[/file]
Attachments
Kernstown.zip
(9.45 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Last edited by Hancock the Superb on Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updating files
Hancock the Superb
Shirkon
Reactions:

Re:Mod: Shenandoah 1862

Post by Shirkon »

Hancock the Superb wrote:
Dear fellow members of this thread:

For the past two years, I have compiled a lengthy list of material (and subsequently "donating" over $300 to Barnes and Noble) for Jackson's famous Shenandoah Valley Campaign.

As soon as possible, since the game is now out, I will attempt to create the first OOB - Kernstown. All my OOBs are heavily researched to find the weapon, strenght, and quality for each unit. I hope this community is fine with historical accuratness.

As a final thought, I hope that the community will enjoy this mod. I plan to test the limits in moddability of this engine, and perhaps, a semi-campaign mod for this will be down the road.

For now, enjoy the game.
Might want to wait until we release the SDK before you get too far into this. That will have directions on how to properly do mods for the new game engine.
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.

Sherman, December 1863, remark to a Tennessee woman.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

I believe I will have to for the mapmaking. But for OOBs? I'm sure I can find a way into the system to create an OOB.
Hancock the Superb
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

That depends, right now all the oobs are packed. You can certainly create them (using the template that is available in the Work folder), but it might not be possible to use them until the modding stuff is opened up.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Zeke
Reactions:

Post by Zeke »

Yep I think Garnier and Shirkon are right - not sure modding will be possible until they open SOW up to the web community - I think Norb posted about this a while ago - They did the same with Bull Run and 2nd Manassas.

But I for one will look forward to your OOBs Hancock once this does happen love your dedication! B)
I only know two tunes...One's "Yankee Doodle" and the other one isn't!

Ulysses S. Grant
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

We will release the SDK soon. We first want to see if there are any show stoppers. Don't see any so far. So we'll probably first get the store up and then get the SDK out.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

No worries.

Garnier, I don't see that template.
Last edited by Hancock the Superb on Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hancock the Superb
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

After starting a battle go to Work -> Scenarios -> NetServ

The scenario files from the scenario you just played will be there. scenario.csv is the order of battle.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Tacloban
Reactions:

Post by Tacloban »

Hancock,

Wow, that sounds incredibly ambitious for a first mod; nevertheless, I am very glad to hear this as I never made a map for Cross Keys (maybe you should start with this one), though I attempted. I also like it not only because I live near the battlefields, but also because the battles were small and easier to play on my machine.

If it would help, I have the USGS DEM of the area (Cross Keys) in grayscale, a USGS 1:24,000 topo map of the area, and some historical maps. I also have the TC2M OOBs of just abouot every battle, with some library research done for them, but probably not as in depth as yours. On nice thing about the the Cross Keys/Port Republic area seems to be almost exactly like it was in 1862, unlike the Winchester battlefields, most of which have oviously been built over.

Good Luck!
Last edited by Tacloban on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Thanks, Tacloban.

I have several actual maps of every battlefield. I've got several mapping programs that will allow me to collect the elevation data. I think however, I will start with Kernstown since it is the first battle.
Hancock the Superb