Multiplayer Observations

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
RyanD2
Reactions:

Multiplayer Observations

Post by RyanD2 »

First of all, a big shout to Norb for helping me and my brother set up a multilayer game (from different locations). Norb, after you left the game room we played for an additional 30 minutes or so and it ran as smooth as can be.

I'm not sure if you would call it a bug or whatever, but we were both unable to hear gun fire. We heard cannon fire,bugle calls, marching, everything except gun fire. Other then that, the performance of the game over the internet exceeded my expectations (not to doubt you). ;)

Now I just cant wait for you guys to get the store up and running so we can experience the "real" Gettysburg. Good Work
Mazikainen
Reactions:

Re:Multiplayer Observations

Post by Mazikainen »

I managed to get a multiplayer match with two players commanding a division done after tinkering with my router settings a bit. My opponent was "John5" and the game ran pretty smoothly. There was a small lag between ordering a unit to do something and for the waypoint to appear on the map, but I don't have any idea where my opponent was playing from. The match was brutal and straightforward and ended up with the confederate division taking a sound thrashing.

A note on the lobby. The blasted thing forces me to write using US keyboard settings on my scandic keyboard, so all the keys except the alphabet are on the wrong places. I had a very hard time trying to quess where the question mark is. Is the lobby third party software, and if so, can the problem be remedied? It's nothing serious but is rather irritating when trying to chat with the other generals.

-Mazikainen
Los
Reactions:

Post by Los »

My son and I just had a quick LAN multiplayer battle. Everything connected with ease, we played coop I dv cdr he bde cdr, orders were passed easily, all the way around smooth within 5 mins of installing the demo we were doing an MP fight. Great work guys.

Los
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Los wrote:
My son and I just had a quick LAN multiplayer battle. Everything connected with ease, we played coop I dv cdr he bde cdr, orders were passed easily, all the way around smooth within 5 mins of installing the demo we were doing an MP fight. Great work guys.

Los
Great to hear!

I should be around the lobby tonight, 9ish or 10ish, Eastern Time.
Hinkel
Reactions:

Post by Hinkel »

Small bugs in MP:

No sound for muskets..

And we made a MP game with 4 guys. All were confederates (2 brigades, 1 artillery and me as Hill). The problem was: All guys had general view and that was bad to play.
Maybe thats a mistake, when a guy choose a high ranking general?!
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Hinkel wrote:
Small bugs in MP:

No sound for muskets..

And we made a MP game with 4 guys. All were confederates (2 brigades, 1 artillery and me as Hill). The problem was: All guys had general view and that was bad to play.
You must have set the difficulty level to Grognard, or Custom -> Max Camera Distance from you.
Hinkel
Reactions:

Post by Hinkel »

Little Powell wrote:
Hinkel wrote:
Small bugs in MP:

No sound for muskets..

You must have set the difficulty level to Grognard, or Custom -> Max Camera Distance from you.
No, we had it on normal, didnt change the options.

BTW:
I have a qustion about realismus option.

We saw in MP, that there a couriers bringing every order from the division commander to the brigade commander. The problem is: When you engage the enemy and your regiments are very close to the enemy, you cant stop your own troops(regiments, you cant give fast orders. Every time, you need to wait that the couriers are back from the division commander. Thats very chaotic, especialy when you are realy close and want to stop your troops, but your troops moving right into the enemy because they didnt stop until the order from the division commander arrive.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Hinkel wrote:
Little Powell wrote:
Hinkel wrote:
Small bugs in MP:

No sound for muskets..

No, we had it on normal, didnt change the options.

BTW:
I have a qustion about realismus option.

We saw in MP, that there a couriers bringing every order from the division commander to the brigade commander. The problem is: When you engage the enemy and your regiments are very close to the enemy, you cant stop your own troops(regiments, you cant give fast orders. Every time, you need to wait that the couriers are back from the division commander. Thats very chaotic, especialy when you are realy close and want to stop your troops, but your troops moving right into the enemy because they didnt stop until the order from the division commander arrive.
Ok, the camera distance might be a bug then. Let us know if/when it happens again, and we'll see if other players report the same thing.

About realism; what you describe sounds like you had changed the "Orders By Courier at this level and above". That's how it was designed.
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

I cannot play a battle in MP. It says that my router is not talking.

I can go to the game lobby but I can't actaully play a match with anybody for some reason. I was able to start a match with some one but when we started playing we could not move any troops or do anything.

All in all I love the rest of the game and even if I can't get MP I will love the SP stuff.

Good job Norb. :)
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Mazikainen wrote:
I managed to get a multiplayer match with two players commanding a division done after tinkering with my router settings a bit. My opponent was "John5" and the game ran pretty smoothly. There was a small lag between ordering a unit to do something and for the waypoint to appear on the map, but I don't have any idea where my opponent was playing from. The match was brutal and straightforward and ended up with the confederate division taking a sound thrashing.

A note on the lobby. The blasted thing forces me to write using US keyboard settings on my scandic keyboard, so all the keys except the alphabet are on the wrong places. I had a very hard time trying to quess where the question mark is. Is the lobby third party software, and if so, can the problem be remedied? It's nothing serious but is rather irritating when trying to chat with the other generals.

-Mazikainen
That's my fault. I didn't consider that possibility. I use an SDK for the lobby itself, but it's my poor implementation of the chat box and keyboard input.