"Failed to server"??

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
glennsweet
Reactions:

"Failed to server"??

Post by glennsweet »

... I am sure there is a simple fix... but being to MP newbie that I am, I dont have the answer for this problem. I log into multiplayer, plug into a game with others.... but get the ""Failed to server" message constantly (6 times now). I have completely disconnected my firewall/internet security to see if that was the issue... to no avail. HELP!!
norb
Reactions:

Re: "Failed to server"??

Post by norb »

So everyone else that goes into the game can connect, but you cannot. I would say it's some type of security that you haven't found yet. All it's doing is creating a UDP port to the server.

Windows firewall
Router firewall
Anti-Virus software (for some machines, this must be complete disabled)
NOTE: demo cannot connect to activated and activated cannot connect to demo
Maybe you have some software that requires you fill in an exception for this program.

I'm brainstorming here, trying to think of anything that you could check. It's odd that you can get to the lobby, but not get in the game.

Let's go through the exact process:
1. enter the lobby
2. enter someone's room
3. wait for them to launch the game
4. so you are just waiting until your screen changes
5. finally your screen changes and you see the mp game setup screen
6. you get messages that you cannot connect to the server

Is that right?
sweeteye
Reactions:

Re:"Failed to server"??

Post by sweeteye »

Not sure if this will help but I was having the same problem. I found out that you can add MapPort=0 to the sowgb configuration settings file Under [Initialization]
It worked for me. I also made the mistake of not putting in my right IP address on the Multiplayer page.
26th Ohio Light Artillery
Sons of Union Veterans
glennsweet
Reactions:

Post by glennsweet »

... that is correct Karma.
glennsweet
Reactions:

Post by glennsweet »

... being the neophyte that I am... "putting in the right I.P. address" is a bit Greek to me... is there a line that requests the correct I.P. address? If so.... how would i know what is in fact the correct I.P. address?
norb
Reactions:

Re:

Post by norb »

sweeteye wrote:
Not sure if this will help but I was having the same problem. I found out that you can add MapPort=0 to the sowgb configuration settings file Under [Initialization]
It worked for me. I also made the mistake of not putting in my right IP address on the Multiplayer page.
The game tries to map the port, but only if you are hosting. If you join someone else's room, they are hosting and it should not try to map the port.

Is this incorrect? Are you seeing problems with this even when you join someone else's game?

So just disabling this fixed your problem? It surprises me that talking to the router would mess up the connection, because we still continue on as normal whether or not port mapping works.
glennsweet
Reactions:

Post by glennsweet »

sorry Norb.... yes... that is correct
norb
Reactions:

Re:

Post by norb »

glennsweet wrote:
... being the neophyte that I am... "putting in the right I.P. address" is a bit Greek to me... is there a line that requests the correct I.P. address? If so.... how would i know what is in fact the correct I.P. address?
An IP address is required for a direct connect game, but if you are using the lobby it's not required. That's what the lobby does for you, all that setup stuff.

Can you confirm that all the other players that were in the room with you got into the game?

There is a small chance that there was a logged error, you open your work/sowgb.log file and take a look for errors towards the bottom of the file.
sweeteye
Reactions:

Re:

Post by sweeteye »

When I first had the problem I actually was able to join others with no error but could not host without getting the error. (Hope I am not out of place by trying to help.)
26th Ohio Light Artillery
Sons of Union Veterans
glennsweet
Reactions:

Post by glennsweet »

... just attempted to create my own game. Received errors "could not map to port", and "you have to manually map your port to host games".... please advise...