To the Roundtops

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Criztian
Reactions:

Re:To the Roundtops

Post by Criztian »

smokehammer wrote:
How do you take any of the objectives? I can't even capture devils den even if there are no ifantry on it, the artillery battery there routs you every time you get men near it.
The way I normally take Artillery is to take one regiment, take command of them, put them into column formation, and double time it to the artillery and start charging each gun. I find getting into a firefight with an artillery battery is a big no-no.

Having said that, this scenario is impossible. I don't understand how anyone can say it's doable. I took the Wheat Field, Devil's Den and Little Round Top and maintained a favorable casualty ratio throughout and all I managed was 4000 points which is a major defeat. A fun fact was that the famous 20th Maine surrendered to my Grey Hoard on Little Round Top which I found amusing.

But honestly there's isn't enough time in the scenario (1 Hour) and the points that the objectives wield (The Wheat Field especially) is negligible. The only criticism I have of my attack was that it took me to long to capture Devil's Den and Little Round Top (I had them about 30 min in). 4000 points from holding (the taking) all objectives for 30 min in a 1 hour battle, where the Major Victory score is 13,000? Even if I started with my men holding the objectives I doubt I could have achieved 13,000 points. And keep in mind I'm fighting on what has to be the worst possible ground to fight a battle on. Moving and attacking through this terrain is not exactly easy.

To all the people claiming this is do-able. I demand screenshots of the battle cause I don't believe for a second you can achieve 13,000 points. It's asking WAY to much for 1 division. I'd have to take the objectives within seconds and then route the entire Union Army single handily, which is an unrealistic expectation for 1 division.

Maybe if the scenario was given more time (maybe an extra hour) and had the union AI begin counterattacking the positions after losing them, then I could see the scenario winnable.
Last edited by Criztian on Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Please read top of the page, we're working on a fix here. Please be patient with this first release. As we were score-testing (up to six of us at times), the AI was constantly being tweaked, orders/commands were being amended, map defensive bonuses were being tested and altered...the list goes on. Somewhere, somehow, something changed scoring drastically here and we're working to amend it.

Not all scenarios have been affected, this is an extreme case. Most scenarios are playing as advertised so move on and keep us informed...like I have to ask. :P

We reported it doable and winnable before re-testing to check out you guys' frustrations, and now we concur.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

MV score has been lowered to 3,500 in the patch.

Also, the highscores screen for the Scenario's has been fixed.
privatewilley
Reactions:

Post by privatewilley »

Little Powell wrote:
MV score has been lowered to 3,500 in the patch.

Also, the highscores screen for the Scenario's has been fixed.
Looks like they should be able to handle 3,500. :)
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

Alas, I had captured Devils Den and held it most of the game. Then I captured Big Round Top and held it until the objective disappeared. Then I captured and held Little Round Top for the entire second half of the game. Lastly, I captured the Wheatfield with fifteen minutes left when there was nothing left on the Round Tops to run off. The last fifteen minutes was mopping up (capturing artillery, etc...). Can you imagine my utter surprise when the verdict was "DEFEAT"? I know why. I only had only amassed 8130 points in the "losing" effort. But I captured 12 Union regiments and 15 artillery pieces; inflicted 3700 casualties to my 2300 while attacking well fortified positions with only one routed unit myself. Honestly, I'm not so sure what else could have been asked of my division.

Where did I go wrong? Should I have turned north to attack Graham, Carr, etc...? Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers!
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

garyknowz wrote:
Alas, I had captured Devils Den and held it most of the game. Then I captured Big Round Top and held it until the objective disappeared. Then I captured and held Little Round Top for the entire second half of the game. Lastly, I captured the Wheatfield with fifteen minutes left when there was nothing left on the Round Tops to run off. The last fifteen minutes was mopping up (capturing artillery, etc...). Can you imagine my utter surprise when the verdict was "DEFEAT"? I know why. I only had only amassed 8130 points in the "losing" effort. But I captured 12 Union regiments and 15 artillery pieces; inflicted 3700 casualties to my 2300 while attacking well fortified positions with only one routed unit myself. Honestly, I'm not so sure what else could have been asked of my division.

Where did I go wrong? Should I have turned north to attack Graham, Carr, etc...? Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers!
Wow great score!!! That is actually a Major Victory. The score has been changed to 3,500 in the new beta patch. Sorry that you missed the patch thread.

Go here to get the patch: http://www.norbsoftdev.com/index.php?op ... 2&id=15367
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

garyknowz wrote:
I know why. I only had only amassed 8130 points in the "losing" effort.
That's an AWESOME score! Good job!

Steve
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Major General John Sedgwick's final words, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, May 9, 1864
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

"That is actually a Major Victory. The score has been changed to 3,500 in the new beta patch. Sorry that you missed the patch thread."

DOH!

I had it autosaved. I wonder if I install the patch and open the saved game if I get a different result. It's worth a shot, right?

Thanks guys!
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

garyknowz wrote:
"That is actually a Major Victory. The score has been changed to 3,500 in the new beta patch. Sorry that you missed the patch thread."

DOH!

I had it autosaved. I wonder if I install the patch and open the saved game if I get a different result. It's worth a shot, right?

Thanks guys!
I'm not 100% sure but it might still say a defeat when the scenario ends, but you'll still get the promotion on the high scores screen.
kich20
Reactions:

Post by kich20 »

Anyone else notice that McLaws sits on his butt for the first half of the battle, allowing the Feds to flank Hood's left? The last time I played this scenario they sent in sharpshooters on the left flank and decimated two regiments.