To the Roundtops

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re:To the Roundtops

Post by Little Powell »

All of this feedback has made me curious so I played it twice last night.. Both times I got the a hard variant and only scored a 2,000+.. It is VERY hard if you get it! So if you can get a Major Victory with the hard variant, you're a serious grognard!
Last edited by Little Powell on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
smokehammer
Reactions:

Post by smokehammer »

The scenarios are difficult, but in a good way, after years of playing the Total War games it’s nice to finally play against an AI that makes intelligent decisions. The bayonet charge that routed me the last time I tried to take little round top was really unexpected, some union infantry charged out of the trees as I tried to flank around the rocks and swept the flanking force away!

I didn't really apprecaite how difficult the terrain was from looking at maps until I saw it in 3D, the aftermath of my last attack on devils den looked almost as bad as the grand redoubt or the fletches at Borodino.
DrMike1997
Reactions:

Post by DrMike1997 »

Is there any way to tell which variant we get of a scenario or how many variants there are? Even better, is there a way to force a variant to be chosen?
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

DrMike1997 wrote:
Is there any way to tell which variant we get of a scenario or how many variants there are? Even better, is there a way to force a variant to be chosen?
The only way to tell is looking at the script, and that won't be possible until if/when the scenario's are released for modding.

A little concerned that it seems that everyone keeps getting a hard variant for this scenario. I've brought it up with the group for discussion.
Last edited by Little Powell on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrMike1997
Reactions:

Post by DrMike1997 »

I haven't tried this scenario yet but after reading this it looks like a must!
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

DrMike1997 wrote:
I haven't tried this scenario yet but after reading this it looks like a must!
It's my personal favorite. :)
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Absolutely, mine too !! :silly:

I will give it a shot later on !!

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
MikeCK
Reactions:

Post by MikeCK »

Well I managed to flank Devils den and force the union troops out. I then pushed up little round top and used Anderson's brigade to come up from the north side behind their lines. As I routed them off the hill, time ended and I suffered a major defeat with only 900 points or so. Turns out that there was still a union regiment on the north slope of little roundtop so I did not "control it" yet. Also, although I took devil's den, I didn't leave a regiment behind so I "lost control" and points

Always seemed stupid to me here and in Tc2m that after I take an objective, I should have to keep troops on it to keep the points. Why would McLaws leave valuable men behind to guard Devil's Den once the entire Confederate attack has moved past it? You should continue getting points until an enemy force moves into that location.

I was pretty peeved that I took the den and little round top but ran out of time and suffered a major defeat...whah?
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

MikeCK wrote:
Always seemed stupid to me here and in Tc2m that after I take an objective, I should have to keep troops on it to keep the points. Why would McLaws leave valuable men behind to guard Devil's Den once the entire Confederate attack has moved past it? You should continue getting points until an enemy force moves into that location.
I concur 100%! The securing of an objective, particularly in the field, is only significant if it aids in defeating the enemy which is the main objective of a conflict. Unfortunately, for A. Lincoln, it took him a couple years to find a general who recognized that fact. In TC2M, I very seldom played any game with objectives, instead playing the meeting engagements with no objectives other than to defeat the enemy army.

J
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
bscottskangum
Reactions:

Post by bscottskangum »

Little Powell wrote:
bscottskangum wrote:
Little Powell wrote:
bscottskangum wrote: 13,000 is obtainable. :)

You've gotta grab all objectives and really kick some butt, but it's do-able. :)
I'll take your word that it's doable, I guess that I am just disappointed that I took the Devil's Den pretty simply and forced my way onto Little Round Top all in a total of 45 minutes and throughout took much fewer casualties than the enemy but it was still called a "major defeat."
Also you have to factor in the variants... You could have gotten the harder variant each time you have played it. :evil:
All right, I think I give up on this one. Took Devil's Den, Little Round Top, then swept around and took The Wheatfield....all of that with about 15-20 minutes left. 3500 points. This scenario looked the same as the other times I played it, so it wasn't any easier, I just did better. I don't think that this is unreasonably hard. I just think that the result I had should not be a major defeat, not only did I perform well but did things to rack up the score.

So, if this is the hard variant what exactly is the not hard variant?