To the Roundtops

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re:To the Roundtops

Post by Little Powell »

bscottskangum wrote:
Little Powell wrote:
bscottskangum wrote:
Little Powell wrote: I'll take your word that it's doable, I guess that I am just disappointed that I took the Devil's Den pretty simply and forced my way onto Little Round Top all in a total of 45 minutes and throughout took much fewer casualties than the enemy but it was still called a "major defeat."
Also you have to factor in the variants... You could have gotten the harder variant each time you have played it. :evil:
All right, I think I give up on this one. Took Devil's Den, Little Round Top, then swept around and took The Wheatfield....all of that with about 15-20 minutes left. 3500 points. This scenario looked the same as the other times I played it, so it wasn't any easier, I just did better. I don't think that this is unreasonably hard. I just think that the result I had should not be a major defeat, not only did I perform well but did things to rack up the score.

So, if this is the hard variant what exactly is the not hard variant?
There will be some changes on this one in the patch. It sucks that it's playing different than it did when we all tested it a thousand times.. Stay tuned.
UglyElmo
Reactions:

Post by UglyElmo »

I thought I had beaten this one . . . I had minus 13,000 points . . . you mean we were supposed to WIN this? :woohoo:

:)
For any prior or future Ugly's out there, my contact info:
el-marko1@insightbb.com
smokehammer
Reactions:

Post by smokehammer »

How do you take any of the objectives? I can't even capture devils den even if there are no ifantry on it, the artillery battery there routs you every time you get men near it.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

smokehammer wrote:
How do you take any of the objectives? I can't even capture devils den even if there are no ifantry on it, the artillery battery there routs you every time you get men near it.
You have to pretty much "bum rush" devils den. I'm able to take it every time, but you have to flank, charge, and you will take a lot of casualties.

I'm able to take all OBJ's on this scenario, but my scoring is still WAY below 13,000.

There were some changes in orders etc. that could be why we were scoring so high in testing, but either way this scenario will be modified so it's at least winnable!.
srr11
Reactions:

Post by srr11 »

I just read James Longstreets "Manassas to Appamattox
and i googled to find out if any games existed;
and much too my surprise found this great game! Question...Can I
follow Longstreets advice and ignore Lee's disasterous strategy or
am I locked in to playing the basic Confederate gameplan.
Longstreet advised taking a defensive position on the Eastern side
of Gettysburg between Meade and Washington forcing the Union to attack him
on the high-ground. I am not a regular game player as you can surmise so
excuse the dumb question. Thanks for any advice on playing the game.
bscottskangum
Reactions:

Post by bscottskangum »

Little Powell wrote:
smokehammer wrote:
You have to pretty much "bum rush" devils den. I'm able to take it every time, but you have to flank, charge, and you will take a lot of casualties.

I'm able to take all OBJ's on this scenario, but my scoring is still WAY below 13,000.

There were some changes in orders etc. that could be why we were scoring so high in testing, but either way this scenario will be modified so it's at least winnable!.
Thanks for the update. I actually like the way this scenario plays, it feels like the entire fight is teetering on the edge and one little push can shift the momentum in either sides favor. There is no hiding the fact that this scenario is a flat out bloodbath in parts and you have to have the courage to throw some men up as cannon fodder. But the score requirements are just off, good to know it will be modified.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

bscottskangum wrote:
Little Powell wrote:
smokehammer wrote:

Thanks for the update. I actually like the way this scenario plays, it feels like the entire fight is teetering on the edge and one little push can shift the momentum in either sides favor. There is no hiding the fact that this scenario is a flat out bloodbath in parts and you have to have the courage to throw some men up as cannon fodder. But the score requirements are just off, good to know it will be modified.
I agree, it still plays awesome. It plays very historical, as the fight was a big struggle on both sides in the actual battle. But just needs the score to be adjusted. :)
DrMike1997
Reactions:

Post by DrMike1997 »

I think if you just dropped a zero off the scores it would be just about right :blink: the first time I played it I took both little round top and devils den and had just claimed the wheat field when time ran out. 950 points is all I got. Somehow if the rebs had been able to do that on July 2nd 1863 it would not have been a major defeat.
Last edited by DrMike1997 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Ashram
Reactions:

Post by Lord Ashram »

I absolutely DESTROYED the Federals, both on the Den and on Little Round top... got completely around them, and ran them off with no problem... and still lost! The points needed to win seem a bit steep to me, given the objective... I am sure this will be addressed:)
Last edited by Lord Ashram on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb hood
Reactions:

Post by jb hood »

i took all objectives (normal)
devils den and round tops in few minutes
than i sweeped to wheatfield and took it

not more than 4500 points

i have no clue how to win this scen (major victory)

but i will try again B)
“They are lying on the field where you sent them.”