To the Roundtops

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Re:To the Roundtops

Post by BOSTON »

greywulfe wrote:
Thanks...although something has to be wrong.

This time I brought down the difficulty level to 1/2 regimental strength for the union, 1/2 moral. I quickly took and held EVERY objective while inflicting more casualties than my own. Still inconclusive! While the SDK is an idea, doesn't it sound like something is wrong? I mean I swept the federals from field and still cannot win!
(I'm on beta patch 2)
Been following your posts; Curious as to what your final scores are at normal?
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
greywulfe
Reactions:

Post by greywulfe »

2640 as normal. (that was my last normal play where I was able to get the wheat field at the end). However I took and held Devil's Den and the ROund top for a while.

2687 with the difficulty adjusted. (got all the objectives pretty quickly, and inflicted more casualties than received).

Is the scoring system changed if I reduce difficulty?
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

greywulfe wrote:
2640 as normal. (that was my last normal play where I was able to get the wheat field at the end). However I took and held Devil's Den and the ROund top for a while.

2687 with the difficulty adjusted. (got all the objectives pretty quickly, and inflicted more casualties than received).

Is the scoring system changed if I reduce difficulty?
Just double checked "To the Roundtops", If you are seeking to get a Promotion from that scenario, you have to achieve a 3500 point Major Vicory on the Normal setting. All your AARs sound good, but are you following the OJTs requirements to accumulate points fast enough? especially Devils den (Stoney Hill). Sweeping the Wheatfield is relatively easy, but at what exspense? to get IIRC a 25 points per minute score and capture a battery of cannon. You might be better off conserving your troops numbers, for that battery does not realy cause you many casualties if left alone, however, taking LRT aggressively and early as practable for the 100 (pm) should make up for losses in taking it.
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

I sent Robertson double timing around to the top of Big Round Top, then crashed them into the flank of the Federal force on Little Round Top. Meanwhile, I sent the other three brigades against the Devil's den, and on to the front of the LIttle Round Top position. I also moved both batteries of artillery up to the open ground between the Big Round Top and the Devil's Den to pound federal reinforcements. I took the Devil's Den by storm, then pinned down the federals on Little Round top while Robertson's brigade took them in the flank. After a few minutes, the federals on the Little Round Top broke and ran. I then moved my artillery up to the Little Round Top to pound the Federal reinforcements.

The remainder of the game was solidifying and defending the LIttle Round Top and Devil's Den positions. I made no move towards the Wheatfield as the points involved did not justify either the cost in men to obtain it or the risk I would take by spreading my forces that thinly. Ending score was 3724. The keys were (a) having Robertson's brigade double time up to the Big Round Top, then wait to coordinate a multi direction attack on the Little Round Top; and (b) storming the Devil's Den and ignoring casualties while doing it. You have to seize DD early to reap points, then be ready to immediately pound LRT from two directions, with arty support, in order to drive back the meagre federal forces there quickly before they reinforce. Moving at doubletime is your friend in this scenario.

Steve
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Major General John Sedgwick's final words, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, May 9, 1864
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

That was a good AAR by Mr Spker, one that you could follow. I like to use the road/trail at the base of Big Round top/ to the right of DD for bringing up reinforcements/in column and artillery, it helps keeping down the fatique, instead of slogging over rough terrain IMO.
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
greywulfe
Reactions:

Post by greywulfe »

Thanks! After like 10 times I finally won! Using your advise I rush big round top with one brigade.

The remaining three brigades I concentrated on devils Den, and the gully between the den and LRT. This time, the AI moved it's brigade off LRT so that I was able to rush a regiment in quickly - and the rest of the brigade followed. So I got LRT early and without much of a fight. The AI then tried to retake LRT, and it was tough, however I had another two brigades eventually collapse the entire union position.

My key to victory - forget about the wheatfield, get devils den and round tops with all possible speed before reinforcements arrive.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

greywulfe

You earned that one, and I bet you had a sigh of relief when it was over! :lol: Enjoy your Victory for you have some more badass fights coming up. :laugh:

BOSTON :)
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

Good job, Greywulfe. Yeah, ignoring the Wheatfield is, in my opinion, the better route. Congrats on winning a hard fought scenario.

Steve
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Major General John Sedgwick's final words, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, May 9, 1864
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

Please note that my score above was on the first beta patch. The second Beta patch reduced the value for Devil's Den and LRT from 150 points per minute to only 50 points per minute. If you did this on the latest patch, greywulfe, you are to be commended.

Steve

Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

MrSpkr wrote:
Please note that my score above was on the first beta patch. The second Beta patch reduced the value for Devil's Den and LRT from 150 points per minute to only 50 points per minute. If you did this on the latest patch, greywulfe, you are to be commended.

Steve
They weren't reduced. See my post in the other thread.