To the Roundtops

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
kich20
Reactions:

Re:To the Roundtops

Post by kich20 »

Oops! Just checked around online and found Gen. Robertson's after action report. He says, in part:

"As we approached the base of the mountain, General Law moved to the right, and I was moving obliquely to the right to close on him, when my whole line encountered the fire of the enemy's main line, posted behind rocks and a stone fence. The Fourth and Fifth Texas Regiments, under the direction of their gallant commanders (Colonels Powell and Key), while returning the fire and driving the enemy before them, continued to close on General Law, to their right. At the same time, the First Texas and Third Arkansas, under their gallant commanders (Lieutenant-Colonel [P. A.] Work and Colonel Manning), were hotly engaged with a greatly superior force, while at the same time a heavy force appeared and opened fire on Colonel Manning's left, seriously threatening his left flank, to meet which he threw two or three companies with their front to his left flank, and protected his left.
On discovering this heavy force on my left flank, and seeing that no attack was being made by any of our forces on my left, I at once sent a courier to Major-General Hood, stating that I was hard pressed on my left; that General McLaws' forces were not engaging the enemy to my left (which enabled him to move fresh troops from that part of his line down on me), and that I must have re-enforcements."

Guess that answers the question, it's historical :)
Colonel Dreux
Reactions:

Finally Won This Scenario

Post by Colonel Dreux »

It took me a few tries to figure out what to try and do. Move fast and move the right brigades to the best areas seems to be the first thing to do and the go from there. Lots of micromanaging of all the units was needed. Can see how this would be difficult to win playing historical.

What ended up happening was I got Laws/Sheffield's brigade up to the top of Little Round Top just as Strong's brigade was arriving and had them attacking up hill.

The other three brigades dispatched Ward's brigade on Houck ridge and then I had to turn them to face the NW to take on and deal with the rest of Barney's division and then reins from Humphrey's division. However, by that time McLaws was making his move and we caught the Federals in a vise of sort as the funneled into our little vortex of death we somehow formed.
Lees Warhorse
Reactions:

Post by Lees Warhorse »

I also had trouble taking Little Round Top. I can always grab Devils Den easily but my attack stalls in the Wheatfield and Little ROund Top. I get to the top of it everytime but am always pushed back by reinforcing yankees. Should I just let the wheatfield be and concentrate on holding Devils Den and sending the whole division up Little Round top?? Awesome scenario though :laugh:
"No 15,000 men ever made can take that ridge." Lt. General James Longstreet
July 3, 1863
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Lees Warhorse wrote:
I also had trouble taking Little Round Top. I can always grab Devils Den easily but my attack stalls in the Wheatfield and Little ROund Top. I get to the top of it everytime but am always pushed back by reinforcing yankees. Should I just let the wheatfield be and concentrate on holding Devils Den and sending the whole division up Little Round top?? Awesome scenario though :laugh:
That sounds like a good strategy Lees Warhorse. This scenario was brilliantly designed because at least for me, it always plays out VERY close to the way it did in the real battle. It was a TOUGH task to take Little Round Top, and that's why it was never taken. Devils Den, poor Ward was a sitting duck, and that is also apparent in the scenario.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

This is a fun scenario. It is not too hard to win if you just concentrate on taking Devils Den, first, and then Little Roundtop. Once those are in the bag, you can think about taking the Wheatfield with most of the division, although it is not necessary in order to win. I usually leave a brigade on Roundtop and only one regiment in Devil's Den. I then march the rest to the Wheatfield. The first order of business is to capture the battery at the northern end. The Union forces usually contest the area in piecemeal fashion, so it is easy to hold the ground. As I recall, the earliest I've ever captured the Wheatfield is with 10 minutes left in the game.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Lees Warhorse
Reactions:

Post by Lees Warhorse »

Yea My problem is my divison is too spread out and doesnt have enough power to fully drive the federals off L Round Top. I kept pushing them off but wasnt strong enough to hold it, I even tried to get a battery up there but I couldnt in time. Thanks For the suggestions
July 3, 1863
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

When I take LRT, I assign 2 brigades for the task. They usually have a preliminary fight in Plum Run but it doesn't last long. By the time these two brigades start scaling LRT and engage with the enemy, I am in control of Devil's Den. I will then send another brigade up to LRT. They virtually surround the defenders and most of those regiments surrender as they route.

As in all scenarios, it helps to move your artillery along with the front line troops to cannister the enemy as often as possible. Artillery is not currently useful in any other capacity.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Lees Warhorse
Reactions:

Post by Lees Warhorse »

Last night I fired this scenario up and had all my brigades in place when all of a sudden the screen went black and exited me to windows. I will try again tonight hopefully this isnt a reoccuring problem.... makes me nervous cause it was my first error in this game :unsure:
July 3, 1863
greywulfe
Reactions:

Post by greywulfe »

I am still trying to win this scenario to no avail. I just finished all objectives, routing the union - and still get a major defeat!
(playing with 2nd beta batch)

I am not certain what else I need to do in order to win.
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

greywulfe wrote:
I am still trying to win this scenario to no avail. I just finished all objectives, routing the union - and still get a major defeat!
(playing with 2nd beta batch)

I am not certain what else I need to do in order to win.
Are you leaving a leader and at least one regiment on each of the objectives in order to keep scoring the victory points? Place that leader and regiment on TC (i.e., click the Take Command flag icon for each of them) to keep them from wandering off and depriving you of points.

The way I did this was closer to an amalgamation of what happened in real life. I bum rushed Devil's Den and took it fairly quickly. Meanwhile, I moved a brigade across Big Round Top and hit Little Round Top from both the souther flank and western front simultaneously. Once I routed the Union troops there, I occupied and solidified, focusing on destroying any Union troops that attempted to retake the objectives rather than overstretching myself by reaching for the Wheatfield (I am allergic to cannister!).

Steve
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Major General John Sedgwick's final words, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, May 9, 1864