Small Mod Sample

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Garnier
Reactions:

Re:Small Mod Sample

Post by Garnier »

One thing to note, apparently mod folder names of 4 characters or less are ignored. This isn't a big problem, but it's good to know, took me 5 minutes to figure out why my test mod wasn't appearing.
Last edited by Garnier on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

MadMan wrote:
I'm at work, so I can't open the Mod.
What does it Mod?
It's a scenario written by yours truly. :)

It depicts Coster's fight in the Brickyard.

Gives an example of the scenario structure, and has a master OOB as well as a Sandbox OOB.
Last edited by Little Powell on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Also, scenarios that are named the same as ours will be ignored. I do not remember putting in a 4 character min on the mod name, but I must have done so.
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

Will there ever be a way to disable the Base folder entirely?

I would imagine that total conversion mods would want to do that eventually, especially for things like Napoleonics where they dont want civil war scenarios showing up, etc.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

You can override the entire folder using the mod folder.
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Thanks Norb & Co. for the Mod....

Wow, talk about simple an easy !!

This is so user friendly compared to all of the Cut & Pasting we did to the .csv files and making sure no other files were overwritten at MMG !!!

Awesome job guys !!! This is going to be Great !!! :)

Back to give it another shot as I had my Commander too close to the battle and was killed :angry:

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

norb wrote:

Sample Mod 1

NOTE: you will have to create a mods folder in the root folder, then unzip this sample into there
HHmmm. I must be doing something wrong. I created a "modsgb" folder in the "Scourge of War - Gettysburg" folder. Copied the zipped mod folder to the modsgb folder. Right clicked on it and then left clicked on "extract here". After extracting I had a "NSD sample 1" folder in the modsgb folder. In the NSD sample 1 folder I have and OOB folder, a scenarios folder, an intro file, and a readme file. But nothing appears on my mod screen in the game???
Last edited by Amish John on Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Hey AJ,

Just checking, if you haven't done the following do this :

In the Main Menu of the game, click on "Modifications" ?
The next screen, "NSD Sample 1" name should appear in the upper left hand corner of the screen. Click on it once and that will put a square next to the name. This means this Mod is enabled.
Now click on the checkmark, "Use Selected Mod(s)," in the bottom right hand corner.
Now select Single Player, then click on Scenarios, Click on the "Brickyard" scenario to highlight it and now click on the checkmark at the bottom to Launch Scenario.

To unload the Mod, go back in to Modifications, click on the NSD Sample ! and the box will disappear, Mod has been de-activated.

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
ADukes
Reactions:

Post by ADukes »

"Mods" must be the name of the folder, not "modsgb"!
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

ADukes wrote:
"Mods" must be the name of the folder, not "modsgb"!
Thanks for the help guys. Got it working by renaming the folder "mods". I had named it modsgb because of the earlier post

"One thing to note, apparently mod folder names of 4 characters or less are ignored. This isn't a big problem, but it's good to know, took me 5 minutes to figure out why my test mod wasn't appearing."

and based on that didn't think the 4 character name "mods" would function.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.