The old order changeth, giving place to new.

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

The old order changeth, giving place to new.

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

To all modders a plea.

Gettysburg is wonderful..... but how sparse and barren it seems compared with the final manifestation of the modded TC2M. Where are those fertile acres of OOB's, the wide panoramas of countless battlefields with pretty(albeit inaccurate) maps, the gallic exhortations on the field of Quatre Bras."Formez column de marche" "Vive L'empereur", the pipes skirling across the heather. Gone to graveyards every one. ! Sacrificed in the name of progress.

If only I knew how to mod I would start today ....... beginning with Marathon and ending with Helmand Province. (They almost seem to have gone back to fighting-in-line there these days)

Oh for a master class in the art of developing scenarios, creating maps and designing sprites. Here am I retired, brimming with ideas, with all the time in the world,and yet completely dependent upon others more talented for fulfillment.

I will scan the mods page every day, dear friends, for your awe-inspiring contributions to fill this void. Else my nostalgic re-visits to TC2M (as one might cherish a familiar old teddy bear) could become habit-forming.

Geoff Laver
Late of her Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot http://www.norbsoftware.com/Portal/medi ... /dandf.jpg[/img_size]
Attachments
dandf.jpg
dandf.jpg (57.8 KiB) Viewed 127 times
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
bedbug
Reactions:

Re:The old order changeth, giving place to new.

Post by bedbug »

LOL..... you expected mods to crop up immediately? :laugh:

patience, Grasshopper, patience...... the basic game hasn't been out a week yet!
Last edited by bedbug on Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
tim
Reactions:

Post by tim »

Bedbug is right - mods will start to appear soon enough. It took a long time to get any mods going for Take Command (I know I helped make some!). The mod content for TC2M has now had people working on for about 4 years at least.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Are you running on full settings? Because when you have everything on, that map comes alive!
Tacloban
Reactions:

Post by Tacloban »

1. I'm not ashamed to say that I play both games (I played MP last night for the first time in my life and was hyperventilating from the desparate action); I love the new maps for TC2M.

2. I believe that, to fully understand and appreciate modding the game, one should fully understand and appreciate the base game.
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Hi lads,

Don't get me wrong. That wasn't meant to be a criticism of a magnificent game.

Just dreaming, that's all. Like every old-timer should be able. Not every post should be cutting edge sharp.

Allow the old to be a bit impatient ..... they don't have much time left before that "Great Sandbox in the Sky" comes along.

Gettysburg is awesome. When extended, it has potential to be be epic.
Let God grant me those four years. He has already fulfilled his basic contract.

Geoff Laver.
Late of Her Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Hi Tacloban,

Like you I do play both games.

But having played Gettysburg for a week I found I got instant Alzheimer's when confronted with the TC2M controls again.

The problems of age.

Geoff Laver

Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Hi Norb,

To answer your question.

I have to be a bit conservative on display levels at the moment. In anticipation of Gettysburg, I purchased a new top-end graphics card, a new motherboard with Quad chip and 4MB of RAM plus a 1000W PSU. Near $2000 in total. I even thought of updating to 64-bit Windows 7 but I wasn't sure if Gettysburg supported that.

All arrived duly in Zimbabwe from UK, except that the supplier forgot to ship the VGA adapter (value $4) to allow the HD Graphics card to drive my VGA monitor. Nearest place to get one from here is Johannesburg at three times the price. So it is all still in the box.

I was amazed that my current modest set-up actually ran the game at all. But it did. It shows that your attempts to make Gettysburg viable for even low-tech computers are certainly working.

I hope to have the adapter shipped in a week or two then I can really begin to play the game in earnest. At all the high display levels.

Geoff Laver
Late of Her Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot.

Southern Son
Reactions:

Post by Southern Son »

bedbug wrote:
LOL..... you expected mods to crop up immediately? :laugh:
YES, i hope.
Can't wait to see mods about Atlanta, Chattanooga, Petersburg, Vicksburg.
And as an cavalryman, Brandy Station.
Although i have a little problem with the Confederate Cavalry uniforms.They look so ' clean'. :laugh:

;)
Tacloban
Reactions:

Post by Tacloban »

Ingles of the 57th wrote:
I got instant Alzheimer's when confronted with the TC2M controls again.
Hmm. then maybe you should layoff the TC2M...too bad. Great! Yet another household item that causes Alzheimer's.
Let God grant me those four years. He has already fulfilled his basic contract.
Amen
Last edited by Tacloban on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.