Order Of Battle Editor

He's on the board and he writes tons of useful tools to make modding that much easier.
Garnier
Reactions:

Re: Order Of Battle Editor - Available

Post by Garnier »

Hmm, oh I see what you mean, if you're making a master OOB and matching scenario OOBs. The auto-generation works for sandbox oobs but not for scenarios if you remove some of the units for the scenario.

There is an option in the options menu to allow manual editing of the IDs, but what I'll do is have it generate the ID based on the unit name, so it is still automatic.

For instance it'd be easy to do this:

Brig Gen James S Wadsworth OOB_Brig_Gen_James_S_Wadsworth
Brig Gen Solomon Meredith OOB_Brig_Gen_Solomon_Meredith
19th Indiana OOB_19th_Indiana
24th Michigan OOB_24th_Michigan
2nd Wisconsin OOB_2nd_Wisconsin

I'm at school but will fix this next chance I get. Thanks.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

I've added a new feature to update the OOB by selecting a startlocs.csv file that you can have the game generate while playing. Run EditOOB.exe and it will get this update automatically.

The startlocs.csv contains the regiment strengths. To update your currently opened OOB with information from the startlocs.csv, there is an option in the Tools menu.

All it does is scan the startlocs file and any regiments that have the same name in both the oob and startlocs will have their strength set to that from the startlocs.

This way when doing a campaign game for instance, after a battle you can update the OOB with the exact casualties from the battle.
Last edited by Garnier on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

Sounds great Garnier, I'll get working with it.
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

Garnier wrote:
I've added a new feature to update the OOB by selecting a startlocs.csv file that you can have the game generate while playing. Run EditOOB.exe and it will get this update automatically.

The startlocs.csv contains the regiment strengths. To update your currently opened OOB with information from the startlocs.csv, there is an option in the Tools menu.

All it does is scan the startlocs file and any regiments that have the same name in both the oob and startlocs will have their strength set to that from the startlocs.

This way when doing a campaign game for instance, after a battle you can update the OOB with the exact casualties from the battle.
Hey Garnier, can you give a quick walkthrough of how to get the startlocs.csv file and how to get it to update with battles? Thanks!
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

In a game, you press the L key to generate the startlocs.csv containing the locations and strength of all units in the battle.

Then in EditOOB, open an OOB that has units with the same names as the units in the startlocs.csv file (typically the same OOB that the game was using). Then click "Update strengths from startlocs.csv..." and browse to where the startlocs.csv file is located, which will be in the Work folder. Select it and press OK. The editor will then compare the startlocs file with the oob file, and when it finds units with matching names it will copy the unit strength from the startlocs file to the OOB.
Garnier
Reactions:

Re: Order Of Battle Editor - Updated 6/4/10

Post by Garnier »

I've just made an update to this. Lots of small changes and additions that I found I wanted while I was using it, as well as some bug fixes.

Just run the program and if you haven't turned off the auto-update it will ask you if you want to install the update.

Here are the big changes:

* Many changes to the random OOB generator routine to make them more realistic.
(i.e., higher quality regiments are smaller generally.)
* Added an OOB analyzer that can tell you the difference in numbers/quality between the two sides to make it easier to balance an OOB.
* Added a random historical name generator (the first names, last names and middle initials are all drawn from civil war regimental rosters and then randomly assembled.)
* Fixed the copy function so you can either make a complete deep copy of a unit or just copy the unit itself.
* Added the option to show unit strengths in the tree view. These numbers do not automatically update however, so press Ctrl-R to refresh them.

The bug where occasionally copying units caused a crash is still there, but now instead of crashing it simply doesn't copy the unit. I still have to decide how to solve that one as it's a fairly complicated situation. To workaround it right now just save your OOB and restart the program and copy/paste will work.
Last edited by Garnier on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rifleman
Reactions:

Post by Rifleman »

Hi Garnier,

Updated as suggested,but can't seem to find the OOB Analyzer on any of the Dropdown Menus. In fact hard to see whether the Auto-update actually took place.

Any suggestions where I can look to check that my D/L worked, and if it did, where do I find the OOB Analyzer?

Thanks for any ideas (only seem to post when I'm asking your help).
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

This is where it appears:

I've just made another small update, and it will now show the version number in the title bar. The current version is '29'.
Last edited by Garnier on Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garnier
Reactions:

Re: Order Of Battle Editor - Updated 6/6/10

Post by Garnier »

I believe I've finished fixing the copy/paste bug. I've been using it for about 6 hours today without any crashes and had copy/paste work the whole time. :)

The update is live, version 31 now.
Last edited by Garnier on Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rifleman
Reactions:

Re: Order Of Battle Editor - Updated 6/8/10

Post by Rifleman »

Thanks Garnier. D/L'd latest and all as you indicated it should be.
Last edited by Garnier on Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.