How does one win ??

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Re:How does one win ??

Post by MrSpkr »

14GA wrote:
RebBugler wrote:
14GA wrote:
Peach Orchard...how to win...

Double quick your two left most regiments toward the red barn to take on artillery there in the area while the third regiment charges the skirmishers to clear them out and your far right regiment goes straight for the crossroads at the Peach Orchard and engages the Federals there. You'll end up having to charge and melee a few times to move them out but you should have suppport coming up from Wofford & Kershaw by the time you do it...so cross your fingers your boys don't retreat before then. I held the objective about 20 minutes...oh, and definitely send requests for artillery support!
Was this a 3000+ Major Victory played on 'Normal' difficulty?

Ok, I tried it on Normal difficulty...took 5 minutes to take the Peach Orchard. Score = 2987.
Your method, again, was to double quick everyone -- 2 regiments to the barns to take out arty, one to take out skirmishers, and one to rush victory area.

Did it. 2 regiments cleared the arty, but then were routed by follow on federal forces. Pushed through skirmishers, but the remaining two regiments got swamped at crossroads. Kershaw and company came up to help, but even with their help, could not clear cross roads until 1 minute left. Regiments retreated 500 yds and reformed several times, getting more and more exhausted. Final score -- 111 points.

Sigh. Is there a way to uninstall the beta patch? I swear I did much better in this scenario before I installed the beta. Ditto with Stannard.

Steve
Last edited by MrSpkr on Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Major General John Sedgwick's final words, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, May 9, 1864
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

14GA wrote:
RebBugler wrote:
14GA wrote:
Peach Orchard...how to win...

Double quick your two left most regiments toward the red barn to take on artillery there in the area while the third regiment charges the skirmishers to clear them out and your far right regiment goes straight for the crossroads at the Peach Orchard and engages the Federals there. You'll end up having to charge and melee a few times to move them out but you should have suppport coming up from Wofford & Kershaw by the time you do it...so cross your fingers your boys don't retreat before then. I held the objective about 20 minutes...oh, and definitely send requests for artillery support!
Was this a 3000+ Major Victory played on 'Normal' difficulty?

Ok, I tried it on Normal difficulty...took 5 minutes to take the Peach Orchard. Score = 2987.
Out of curiousity, have you installed the beta patch before you played this last time?

Steve
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Major General John Sedgwick's final words, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, May 9, 1864
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

MrSpkr wrote:
Sigh. Is there a way to uninstall the beta patch? I swear I did much better in this scenario before I installed the beta. Ditto with Stannard.

Steve
You can install the original over the beta patch and it should all be fine. All your saved games, etc. will be there and you won't lose any settings.
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

Cool. Thanks, norb!

Steve

14GA
Reactions:

Post by 14GA »

MrSpkr wrote:
14GA wrote:
RebBugler wrote:
14GA wrote: Was this a 3000+ Major Victory played on 'Normal' difficulty?

Out of curiousity, have you installed the beta patch before you played this last time?

Steve
I actually could not play it at all until Norb & team put the patch out. I would take the artillery at the barn area and the scenario would crash.