Stannard on the Flank

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
bscottskangum
Reactions:

Re:Stannard on the Flank

Post by bscottskangum »

Little Powell wrote:
MrSpkr wrote:
How are you going to rescore it?

Steve
What you suggested. 100 for the first OBJ, then 200. I tested with this last night.. You still have to work for it, but it's winnable.
That's good to hear, it should be hard but at least winnable B)
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

Little Powell wrote:
MrSpkr wrote:
How are you going to rescore it?

Steve
What you suggested. 100 for the first OBJ, then 200. I tested with this last night.. You still have to work for it, but it's winnable.
Very cool. Thanks, LP.

Steve
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Major General John Sedgwick's final words, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, May 9, 1864
bscottskangum
Reactions:

Post by bscottskangum »

Do we know when the next patch will be out?
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

Ancious to beat the game, eh?

BTW< we know what the fix for Stannard will be. Any idea what the fix for Armistead is supposed to look like?

Steve
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Major General John Sedgwick's final words, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, May 9, 1864
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

MrSpkr wrote:
Ancious to beat the game, eh?

BTW< we know what the fix for Stannard will be. Any idea what the fix for Armistead is supposed to look like?

Steve
Points have been increased to 200, like the Pickett scenario.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

bscottskangum wrote:
Do we know when the next patch will be out?
Sorry no ETA at this time. It depends on the results of our MP test tonight and a couple other bug fixes.
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

Just replayed this one on SOWGB pre-beta version 1.000. As I had suspected, it plays much differently. My Vermont regiments seemed less likely to rout, and the Confederates don't seem to be as aggressive on Stannard's end of the line as before.

Scoring is the same as far as point per turn, but on this one, I barely broke a sweat racking up 4496 points. As I have said before, under SOWGB version 1.01, getting 3500 points is an accomplishment.

Steve

Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

MrSpkr wrote:
Just replayed this one on SOWGB pre-beta version 1.000. As I had suspected, it plays much differently. My Vermont regiments seemed less likely to rout, and the Confederates don't seem to be as aggressive on Stannard's end of the line as before.

Scoring is the same as far as point per turn, but on this one, I barely broke a sweat racking up 4496 points. As I have said before, under SOWGB version 1.01, getting 3500 points is an accomplishment.

Steve
That's strange because nothing was changed that would have effected this scenario. And there was definitely no change to the time it takes for regiments to route.. Interesting.

Either way, the patch will be out tonight to fix the score on that one. And then hopefully they will all be fixed. :)
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

I've been bouncing back and forth betwee version 1.00 and version 1.01. Here is what I am seeing: In version 1.0, Stannard can occupy the victory location and often only engage the flanks of Kemper's men as they advance.

In version 1.01, there is an extremely high likelihood of Archer's troops coming all the way down the length of the line to engage Stannard and attempt to occupy his victory area. This is typically enough to contest the victory location for 4 or 5 minutes, and to rout at least one of Stannard's fragile regiments. This behavior seems to occur regardless of Stannard's actions (i.e., if Stannard is aggressive, they come; if he is passive and holds back, they come). It makes no sense that the AI would send Archer all that way to engage Stannard, but it does. The situation at the Angle does not seem to impact this behavior.

I have screamed for arty and infantry reinforcements, but these take a critical few minutes to get there. Given that, I think that you may eventually need to look at both an increase in points as well as an increase in time to 1 hour to make this one reliably winnable. In my latest iteration, I did better than usual against Archer (and got some infantry reinforcements, for once), but only scored 3500 points. With the points increase, I could count on another 550 points from the first part of the scenario, and another 750 or so from the latter part. This would have given me a total of about 4600 -- a little short. Perhaps the new patch will see Archer's abberrant behavior corrected; if not, a littl emore time might be necessary.

Steve

bscottskangum
Reactions:

Post by bscottskangum »

Little Powell wrote:

Either way, the patch will be out tonight to fix the score on that one. And then hopefully they will all be fixed. :)
Any update on a time frame for it's release?
Last edited by bscottskangum on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.