Stannard on the Flank

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
bscottskangum
Reactions:

Stannard on the Flank

Post by bscottskangum »

I'm calling shenanigans on this scenario :lol:

My problem:

12 minutes of objective control at the beginning can at max net you 600 points. The scenario then changes the objective to be worth 150 points a minute, if you hold this for the remaining 26 minutes of the scenario you end up with a total of 4500 points through objective holding. Theoretically leaving you with 500 more points you have to get through actual fighting if you can get the maximum objective points.

Here is the rub.

The far right brigade of the confederate advance passes through the objective, not allowing you to control it for the whole scenario.

You then realize you have to advance out a little further to prevent the rebels from passing through the objective. BUT the confederate brigades path then goes right through you. The 3 regiments under your control are all conscript level regiments. The rebels then charge you. With the troops you have you WILL be routed, and easily at that. In this scenario you MUST be at a distance from the confederates that prevents them from charging you. But when you do this you will be nowhere near the objective.

So basically you have two options, try to prevent the rebs from passing through the objective and consequently getting into lopsided hand to hand combat, or sit back at the far edge of the objective and lose hundreds of points when the rebs pass through.

But just assume for a second that you could somehow hold the objective for the entire scenario and not be forced into hand to hand combat, you still need 500 points to be earned in fighting from 3 regiments of conscript infanty :blink: Shenanigans!

The only variant I have gotten in this scenario is when a brigade in the center of the rebel advance decides that their objective really isn't the copse of trees directly ahead of them, but me instead. Bringing down 5 more regiments of rebel fury upon my 3 conscript regiments.

This scenario and the Armistead scenario are the only 2 I have left to get a major victory on. I LOVE the game but about 15 tries at this scenario is fraying my nerves.

Any ideas?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re:Stannard on the Flank

Post by RebBugler »

This one is tough. I took the cowardly approach to score adequately. Hold, retreat, distract, then hold again while continuing to distract. Let the Rebs pass through or you're hamburger. Once through, keep them distracted with two regs as you hold with another. Also, depends on the variant for this to be successful. I'm disclosing my lowly tactics, because the timing here is the key, and everyone will have to figure that out. And, there may be another, more honorable way, to win...but with these green Yanks, I have my doubts.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
bscottskangum
Reactions:

Post by bscottskangum »

RebBugler wrote:
This one is tough. I took the cowardly approach to score adequately. Hold, retreat, distract, then hold again while continuing to distract. Let the Rebs pass through or you're hamburger. Once through, keep them distracted with two regs as you hold with another. Also, depends on the variant for this to be successful. I'm disclosing my lowly tactics, because the timing here is the key, and everyone will have to figure that out. And, there may be another, more honorable way, to win...but with these green Yanks, I have my doubts.
And you got more than 5000 pts doing this?
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

I'm with you, and I think the Beta Patch has something to do with it.

Prior to the beta patch, I was able to move up, hold the area (only had ONE regiment rout due to the ubermelee skills of the rebels -- which I also think is FAR overstated when a tiny Tennessee regiment from Archer's brigade acn whip a fresh Vermont regiment three times it's size) and score 4896 points.

Post patch, the rebels (a) send more units through the area, and camp on the victory location longer than previously (prior to the patch, they tended to continue moving forward and engaging the main Union line, allowing Stannard to take them in the flank); and (b) are more successful in melee routing at least two of Stannard's regiments, even when the rebs are outnumbered and tired and have taken flank damage.

I think that something in the AI behavior changed in the patch; I'm thinking of uninstalling the patch to test this hypothesis. My high of 4896 came after playing the scenario two or three times; since the Beta Patch, I've played it at least a dozen times and have considered myself fortunate to get 3500 points and/or to survive with only one regiment routed.

Steve
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Major General John Sedgwick's final words, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, May 9, 1864
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

RebBugler wrote:
Was this before or after the beta patch?

Steve
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Major General John Sedgwick's final words, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, May 9, 1864
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

bscottskangum wrote:
This scenario and the Armistead scenario are the only 2 I have left to get a major victory on. I LOVE the game but about 15 tries at this scenario is fraying my nerves.

Any ideas?
I'm stuck on these two, plus the peach orchard, though I haven't tried it recently. How did you manage that one, anyway?

Steve

bscottskangum
Reactions:

Post by bscottskangum »

MrSpkr wrote:
bscottskangum wrote:

Any ideas?
I'm stuck on these two, plus the peach orchard, though I haven't tried it recently. How did you manage that one, anyway?

Steve
I only managed it with 8 points to spare :P

But if I recall, I sent one forward regiment straight for the picket line, one regiment was sent about 50 yards to the right of the forward regiment. Used the forward regiment to fix the defenders, the second to flank anyone the forward regiment came into contact with. Simultaneously I sent the rest of the brigade behind that flanking regiment and bum rushed the objective. There are enough fences in this area that no matter where you are fighting you can take cover behind them and defend the objective effectively. After I beat off most everyone at the objective I sent some regiments into the woods between the Peach Orchard and the Wheatfield to pick up some extra points.

Its a little hazy but I think that is how it went.
bscottskangum
Reactions:

Post by bscottskangum »

MrSpkr wrote:
I've played it at least a dozen times and have considered myself fortunate to get 3500 points and/or to survive with only one regiment routed.

Steve
I think the biggest problem I have is that I am expected to rack up so many points with only 3 regiments of conscript infantry. The objective points just leave you too far short even if you collect every one of them possible.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

bscottskangum wrote:
RebBugler wrote:
This was my last report on this one, Feb. 21, and considering the score, I believe the VP was worth 200 ppm. Obviously, some adjustments have been made since.

GB19-July3-Codori, Stannard on the Flank (U-Brig) Score: 10,007 Major Victory

Action started 13 minutes in, held VP another 5 minutes or so then my conscripts were swept away. I managed to lead one regiment to safety, then, when the Rebs left the VP, I snuck back to the VP and held it uncontested the last 30 minutes. My casualty count was a negative 4 to 1 ratio before I managed to isolate an idle Reb regiment and rout them with my previously retreated regiments, while my third regiment remained at the VP. In the end I suffered 136 more casualties than inflicted, around a 1 to 2 ratio.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
bscottskangum
Reactions:

Post by bscottskangum »

RebBugler wrote:
bscottskangum wrote:
RebBugler wrote:
This was my last report on this one, Feb. 21, and considering the score, I believe the VP was worth 200 ppm. Obviously, some adjustments have been made since.

GB19-July3-Codori, Stannard on the Flank (U-Brig) Score: 10,007 Major Victory

Action started 13 minutes in, held VP another 5 minutes or so then my conscripts were swept away. I managed to lead one regiment to safety, then, when the Rebs left the VP, I snuck back to the VP and held it uncontested the last 30 minutes. My casualty count was a negative 4 to 1 ratio before I managed to isolate an idle Reb regiment and rout them with my previously retreated regiments, while my third regiment remained at the VP. In the end I suffered 136 more casualties than inflicted, around a 1 to 2 ratio.
13 minutes in, 5 minutes at vp, sneaking out, sneaking back in, then holding for 30 minutes. This is not the same time frame as us, we have a total of 40 minutes allowed for this scenario.

Take the points off that you scored in the last 20 minutes of your scenario and see what your score was lol B)
Last edited by bscottskangum on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.