Post by JC Edwards »

Just came across this and wanted to share:

http://civilwartalk.com/Resource_Center ... icleid/176
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Amish John
Reactions:

Re:Artillery at Gettysburg

Post by Amish John »

And if, someday, someone makes a new Gettysburg computer game (that improves on even the great TC2M)we'll be able to command all those guns. ;)
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Post by Gunfreak »

wow that was more then I thought, thats about the same as a big napoleonic battle
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

I think it is interesting to note the 2 Whitworth's the Confederates had. Maybe we'll get to see them? :)
LoosMoose
Reactions:

Post by LoosMoose »

If you ever played TSS, that was one of the first things that you noticed were the two Whitworths. Definitely ahead of their time.
Phantom Captain
Reactions:

Post by Phantom Captain »

JC Edwards wrote:
I think it is interesting to note the 2 Whitworth's the Confederates had. Maybe we'll get to see them? :)
Want to see them you say? Done! :) B)

The two Whitworth guns sit atop Oak Hill now by the Eternal Flame monument. They are really really impressive. I only wish the breech still opened but people would play with it so much it would probably by now be worn out. One of the guns shows the octagonal bore pretty well too, the other is more worn out.

Ask and you shall receive...

Last edited by Phantom Captain on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal - 49th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Co. F

In our youth our hearts were touched with fire.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Outstanding!! :) Probably two of the most beautiful pieces of artillery I've ever seen. By any chance, are the 3 Blakely's the CSA had at the battle there as well?
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Great pics Phantom! Some how i missed those guns when i was at Gburg years ago.

Here's my breech loadin cannon, a Sharps 45-70! Coincidently just got done reloading these rounds and am just about out the door to make some BP smoke at the local range.:)

Last edited by ironsight on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom Captain
Reactions:

Post by Phantom Captain »

Awesome!

Very nice ironsight! You, I see, haven't even been perusing the old forum for the past couple years, hehehe. I have tons more of my BP stuff posted over there. I do remember us talking a bit about it all a couple years ago or so before you left that board. I also have a .45-70, not a breechloader though but a trapdoor '73 Springfield carbine. I load my own too, black powder only of course. Boy do they kick though! Freaking ouch!! :ohmy:

The breechloader I do own is a '59 Sharps carbine though and I love it! Here's a refresher for you on my collection. (Yeah, I know all, any excuse I get to post my BP stuff, I know, I know...:lol: :lol: :ohmy: B) )

First, my defarbed Harpers Ferry Rifle .58 stamped 1857. John Zimmerman of Harper's Ferry defarbed this one and it looks exactly as they did when they came out of the armory during the war! Blued springs, screws, long range site, all the modern markings have been taken off and it has been refinished to the right color. My Honey. B) :)

Top to bottom,
1842 Springfield .69 smoothbore musket
1861 Springfield .58
1862 Richmond Rifle .58
1858 Enfield Rifle .58

1859 Sharps Carbine .54

Various cap and ball revolvers, hehehe! :) :) B)
Top to bottom and then left to right. All are repros, mostly Uberti, two Piettas, with the exception of the 1860 Army which is a true Colt 2nd Generation

Colt Walker .44
Colt 2nd Model Dragoon .44
Remington Stainless New Model Army .44
Remington New Model Navy .36
Model 1851 Colt Navy .36
Model 1861 (Civillian Brass) Colt Navy .36
Model 1861 (London steel) Colt Navy .36
Model 1860 Colt Army .44
Model 1860 Colt Army .44 with the finish taken off by me to look antique

I just really like this pic I took of my '51 and '61 Navy.

Custom made Danny Powell .45 flinter

Custom built by my late father...
.36 Squirrel rifle, flintlock
.62 Smooth Rifle, flintlock
.54 Hawken , percussion

B Buckley poor boy .45 flintlock
Hershel House .40 flintlock
Blue Jacket Sanders .72 Trade Gun

I don't seem to have any pics of my 1873 Springfield Trapdoor, I should take some!

We haven't even touched my WW2 bolt action and modern collection yet either, hehehehe.
Let's just say that the prized ones I have are:

Model 1903 Springfield .30-06 dated 1944
K98 Mauser 8mm, Nazi marked and dated 1940
Model 91/30 Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R dated 1943
Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk.1 dated 1942
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine

Yeah, I've collected a few things over the years! :laugh: :) :laugh: :) B) :cheer:
Last edited by Phantom Captain on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal - 49th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Co. F

In our youth our hearts were touched with fire.
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Holy shitsu Phantam :ohmy: Whats the size of your gun safe or is it a room :unsure:
I don't know but i think you just might have more guns than me. ;)

You've got an excellent collection of smokers there, one of the best i've seen. I like that paper cartridge Sharps which will probably be my next gun purchase. How does it shoot, any problems with the breech seal leaking? For some reason and i can't explain why, i like those Harper's Ferry's also.
I see you're also into flinters. A barrel of fun to shoot once one gets past some of the early-on aggravations that come with em.

My only two Civil War guns are a 3-band Enfield and a Colt 44 cal. Army which reminds me i haven't shot that thing in a couple years now. I also have 4 or 5 various other muzzle loaders not to mention a ton of smokeless rifles & handguns.

Speaking of the kicking with those 45-70's, notice the butt pad in the first pic i posted. I can get by without it for the first 20 or so rounds but then the cumulative effect of the pounding starts takin its toll on the shuolder from those heavy lead slugs. That Sharps has a military style steel butt plate.

By the way, i reloaded those rounds in the second pic with 535 grain 30:1 Postell bullets, 63 grains 2F Goex compressed around .25" with 1 milk carton & 1 paper wad, SPG lube with fire-formed cases with just enough neck-sizing to allow finger seating of the bullet.
Always a blast (pun intended) to shoot and a always a show stopper at the range but you already know that! :cheer: