Question on courier system

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Re:Question on courier system

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Marching Thru Georgia wrote:
Kerflumoxed wrote:
I have never been able to summon assistance during any of my sandbox games, including one I just completed.
I've found that divisions which are held in reserve, or otherwise not fighting, will respond to a request for help. One sad case I had two days ago was in a fight where my division was grossly outnumbered and I asked for artillery support to my center. My corp commander promptly sent the battalion which marched to my left flank and smack into the middle of an advancing Texas brigade. They managed to drive it off, but lost 3/4 of their guns. Unfortunately, I needed them to do more than savage one brigade. The AI really waxed my tail that evening. :blush:

The independent arty battalions behave as if they are infantry divisons. They don't play a useful role in sandbox games unless the player is their commander. I think I read in another thread that Norb was addressing this issue.

The location you are ordered to does not pop up on the map right away. For some reason, it takes ~30 seconds to show up. After I receive my orders, I usually look around for the nearest road, order my troops into column, etc. and then open the map to see how large my wild goose chase is to be. :)
I will my delay in looking at the map! Perhaps, have another bite of hardtack and salt pork, washed down with black coffee!

Thanks

J
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Perhaps, have another bite of hardtack and salt pork, washed down with black coffee!
Do you strain the weevils out of the coffee with your teeth? :laugh:
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Perhaps, have another bite of hardtack and salt pork, washed down with black coffee!
Do you strain the weevils out of the coffee with your teeth? :laugh:
Nope...just drop the cracker in boiling coffee and they float to the top. Step 2, skim them off the surface and you are ready to go. Accomplishes two things at once...eliminate the excess protein and softens the cracker!

J :laugh:
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Once again, just completed one of Bugler's new downloads! Outstanding?

But, still not locating "Orders Dest." on the map. Have followed the suggestion to wait for 30 seconds (and have waited 60 and 90 and etc.) to no avail. Will usually resort to a companion unit and click on their leader to find his destination.

Same thing for courier messages during the game...."Move to this location" etc. Am I the only one not finding these destinations on the map?

How about using the "send" type of message? I.E. "Move your command to the Hoffman farm." or some such.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

J
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Kerflumoxed:

Are you playing one of the 'objective' type scenarios? If so, the VP is probably the spot you are to occupy. At least that always seems to be the case for me. I usually play without objectives. In those scenarios, I am given a large rectangular box with a star in the middle. If I am in reserve, when I am finally ordered to a location, (usually after the battle is nearly lost), I am given just a star, with no box.

Hope this helps.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Kerflumoxed:

Are you playing one of the 'objective' type scenarios? If so, the VP is probably the spot you are to occupy. At least that always seems to be the case for me. I usually play without objectives. In those scenarios, I am given a large rectangular box with a star in the middle. If I am in reserve, when I am finally ordered to a location, (usually after the battle is nearly lost), I am given just a star, with no box.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the response, Georgia!

No, almost always I am playing Sandbox, Hunt Them Down, with no objectives. The objectives strike me as artificial whereas "no objective" strikes me as being more historically correct.

I have seen the "rectangle", but only when I look at some CO other than the commander I have selected. Unless I am ordered to be held in reserve, I orient my command in that direction and generally move in support of the Division/Corps CO depending on what level I am playing.

If in reserve, the only star that appears is my current location, even after I have received movement orders.

Thanks,

J
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Kerflumoxed wrote:
If in reserve, the only star that appears is my current location, even after I have received movement orders
Yep, when in reserve, I receive that order frequently, i.e. stay put. I guess my commander is afraid I'll run-off and join the battle. Just his way of keeping me on a short lease. :) I guess your commander doesn't trust you either.