Changes to the Website!

Got problems with the site. An idea on how to make it better. This is the place to discuss it.
ironsight
Reactions:

Re:Changes to the Website!

Post by ironsight »

This is about where the 'Old Geezer' clause would be very effective!
You know you're an old geezer when those AARP application letters start arriving. And they start arriving in the late 40's - early 50's no less! Those AARP SOB's!:angry:
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Hancock Wrote: Can we change it to at least 25 posts per page? That would be much more appropiate. Then, lets up it from there and see when everyone says stop. I like the longer page.

I would agree that i too would like longer pages and it was tolerable for me when this site was slow. But now with the site busier and because it takes so dam long to download these long pages i don't even check out all the latest posts anymore. Maybe for some thats a good thing!

If you're on broadband, its easier for you to click on the previous page in a micro seconds worth of time compared to the several minutes worth of time it takes people with dialups!

Long pages on this website are gonna boil down to a luxury convenience for broadbanders and a genuine royal time-consuming PITA for us unfortunates who are stuck with dialups!
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

I would like to have everyone to have what they want, but at 10 posts per page, you get some people who quote everyone and you only get around two, and I don't think anyone really wants to scroll through several pages. Besides, doesn't it take more time to read the whole thing with more pages than with less?

Correct me if I'm wrong. I am fine with 25, but I believe 10 is a little too few. I do understand that there are people that don't have that good of internet, out there though.
Hancock the Superb
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

ironsight wrote:
What browser are you using Norb?
This is getting to be really puzzling.
I use Opera at home and IE6 at work and they both bring me to the last page. Also I use the menu item usually, posts since last visit. That gives a summary of the posts and I click last post on there and it brings me to the last page.
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Norb:
When i click on a HomePage 'whats hot' link and the page finally downloads, the page options 'indicate' that it is the last page thats supposed to be showing. The last page number and End are UNhighlighted. But in reality it is NOT the last page showing and i have to go the extra step of clicking on the page option: START to get to that last page. Again clicking on Start to get to the last page makes no logical sense to me. I find it hard to believe this could be browser related especially considering the same things happened on my old rig which was running IE7.
Since no one else seems to have these problems, is it possible my profile setup got corrupted somehow? Can you reset or reload my profile?

Getting back to page lengths, is it possible via a new setup menu option to allow each member (especially Hancock) to custom choose the length of a page as some other forums allow. I think that would make everyone happy.
Also, as i mentioned earlier, i think there are some bugs in that profile setup menu also which could have something to do with all this balogna. Some of those settings just plain DON'T take HOLD even when i lofoff then on again.

Or am i missing the boat on something simple thats be overlooked, wouldn't be the first time.:S
One thing thats missing with this website is a HELP page. This is the first forum i've used which doesn't have one. First forum also where i had these goofy kinds of problems.
Oh well, at least its FREE!:)
Last edited by ironsight on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

I don't know how to code this stuff yet, so I can't change what's available. It's not a profile or config thing, it's your browser. I would be curious if you download firefox or opera if you would have the same issues. I increased the max to 20 and I'll keep it there. Should be a happy medium.
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Norb Wrote: it's your browser.
H'mm! Two different PCs, one running IE7, the other IE8 and both have the same goofy things happening. Also, i'd venture to say the vast majority of people here are running IE7 or IE8.
The browser will download and display what your server sends it and your website software should indicate the page number currently displayed which is not accurate.
Offhand, i just don't see it a browser issue. Why would this be THE ONLY forum i have problems on? And i'm on quite a few.
If i had to geuss, i'd say something got corrupted in my profile setup or there's a bug based in part because some of those setting don't seem to work.
There's also a very remote possibility that the website software or server has timing issues downloading to slow dialups since i'm apparently one of the few here who is on a dialup and have these problems.
Vonviper
Reactions:

Post by Vonviper »

hey ironsight
theres alot just the average member can do a bit more than the old site did for ya
i like the new forums myself of coarse its just the three of us inside my thoughts

check out your user profile if i recall theres some other setup options in there
that have to do with page loading
it may help

i think i got mine setup to load the latest post first
but any case there are afew more switches and plugs in your details folder that can be taylored to your liking

if you haven't already :)
Last edited by Vonviper on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two turn tables and a micro-phone
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Yo'...Von...Sup!B)
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Vonviper
Reactions:

Post by Vonviper »

The Mad One