Changes to the Website!

Got problems with the site. An idea on how to make it better. This is the place to discuss it.
ironsight
Reactions:

Re:Changes to the Website!

Post by ironsight »

I feel for your pain ironsight

Yeah!! i'm sure you do!:dry:

By the way it took me 2.5 minutes to finally get to your post!:angry:
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

At one point I increased the number of posts per page based on a request. I can shorten that again and it should make the page loading faster, as the pages will be smaller. I don't know why it takes so long, but I want to do whatever I can to make it easier, so I'll go and shorten the posts to 10 from 50 and see if that's any better.
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Norb, thanks! :)
A page now loads in around 10 seconds each.. BUT for some odd reason it still doesn't take one to to the most current page. Double page loading duty is still required increasing the total download time to about 20 seconds.
Still much much better than before. Now lets see if anyone complains about the short pages!:ohmy:
estabu2
Reactions:

Post by estabu2 »

Norb, just because ironsight complained doesn't mean you needed to change the number of post on the page. I vote for longer, much longer pages...something in the region of like 200 post before we change to the next page...this pages are much to short. :):)

j/k, ironsight
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Not to belabor website issues...OK i will anyhow! :evil:
The page: options at the upper right hand corner of the page don't seem to work right!
Sometimes the last page number (and End) is unHighlighted usually meaning thats whats supposed to be showing on the screen but it isn't the last page showing.

Then the times when all the options are highlighted, choosing End doesn't in fact take you to the last end page.
Further, the only thing that so far gets me to that last current page is choosing the Start option? HUH :huh: Logically, it would seem to me that clicking on Start should take you to the first page instead of the last page!:S

By the way Norb reducing the page size has been a quantum leap in downloading performance. It only took me 25 seconds total to get to the last page on this thread.:)
Before it woulda taken several minutes!
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

estabu, somehow i knew you'd be the first! :P :laugh:
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Are you using IE6

I ask because what you describe does not happen to me in my browsers. The buttons work for me and the links always bring me to the last page.
Last edited by norb on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Norb Wrote:Are you using IE6
Nope, IE8 with all updates current including all Windows XPproSP3 updates.

Are you saying when you click on a 'Whats Hot' post link on the home page, it takes you to the very last page showing that latest greatest post with long multi page threads?
For short one page threads, all seems to work as expected for me.

Could it be some spooky or otherwise website feature option i'm using or not using?

What browser are you using Norb?
This is getting to be really puzzling.
Last edited by ironsight on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

ironsight wrote:
This is getting to be really puzzling.
This is about where the 'Old Geezer' clause would be very effective!:lol: :silly: :P
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Can we change it to at least 25 posts per page? That would be much more appropiate. Then, lets up it from there and see when everyone says stop.

I like the longer page.
Hancock the Superb