Changes to the Website!

Got problems with the site. An idea on how to make it better. This is the place to discuss it.
GShock
Reactions:

Re:Changes to the Website!

Post by GShock »

I honestly hope you'll switch to Invision forums. B)
opuslife
Reactions:

Re: Changes to the Website!

Post by opuslife »

Website / Forums Organization Needs Updating. I dunno if it's because most of the active folks here have been involved and using the game, website, and forums for a while (and are understandably familiar with where everything is?), or the same folks are simply too close to the elephant to see that there's a problem, but...

It is really difficult, approaching frustrating for newer / non-experts trying to find stuff in the website and forums, including:

a. Game software updates (patches, beta patches)
b. Game software update installation instructions (Generic 'dumbed down' step-by-step stuff)
c. Game Major Divisions (GB vice Antietam vice ??, Scenarios (Mods?), Enhancements (Mods?))

I have to wonder if too much / too deep a level of SOWGB knowledge is assumed.

Most mainstream outfits have a few pages in the website structure (Support, Downloads Menus) which link the user to patches, scenario packs, and enhancements without forcing the new user to slog around in vast forums to find them, no?

We're left to fumble around in the forums to find game software patches, betas, scenarios (mods?), enhancements (mods?) and the like. But altogether cryptic about how to download and install them properly. For the new user, neophyte or non-modder, it's less than user friendly.

At a minimum, at least consider updating the website and nav with a little clearer direction on where to find the stuff. Better still would be to add a few pages of direction into the website hierarchy telling folks about the different battles, patches, scenarios, enhancements and where to find and install them?

Lastly - I LOVE the game(s) and am enjoying wonderful hours of gameplay. So, please don't take my suggestion as dissatisfaction with the product. But (not being a SOWGB oldtimer), I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to find out (a) Should I update my game with a patch, (b) Checking my current version number, (c) Which patch was the latest one, (d) Seeing if they were all-inclusive of previous patches or not, (e) Was 'beta' a safe bet, and finally (f) How to install it properly. Not all of us are software developers. Some are simply players of the game.

Thanks,

Bob Williams
Bristol RI, US