Scenario #1 - The Boys Got Their Dander Up

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Shirkon
Reactions:

Re:Scenario #1 - The Boys Got Their Dander Up

Post by Shirkon »

Little Powell wrote:
Marmusman wrote:
DavidAcheson140PVI wrote:
just finished this scenaario and used the tips but also utilized some of my own such as deploying three regiments on the foward right and just driving the northcarolinians back make sure you TC all of those regiments because they tend to retreat. i held out with a score of 4500
I need a cheat card for all these abbreviations....what is TC??

Thanks
Take Control. :)
I prefer Take Command, but I'm part of the old school TC2M crowd.
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.

Sherman, December 1863, remark to a Tennessee woman.
J Canuck
Reactions:

Post by J Canuck »

In keeping with the spirit of a Canadian Minister of Defence, we Canucks refer to it as:

Thorough Constraint
jri
Reactions:

Post by jri »

Thanks for your tip. Now I have my first victory. (Ha Rah) My score was 8,682 I hope that is respectable.
jhdeerslayer
Reactions:

Post by jhdeerslayer »

Shirkon wrote:
General Area wrote:
I don't see a thread for this one. I need some hints. My cavalry seems too ready to jump on their horses and flee.
You must be talking about Devin's Brigade. They are scripted to pull back and then go to the north to guard there. You can win with just Gamble's Brigade. Make sure you keep the supply wagon up close to the battle line so they don't have far to go for ammo.
Just picked up the game, and though an old TC2M veteran from way back, this screwy Devin behavior was drivng me nuts and kept thinking I was doing something wrong. Maybe I missed something in the briefing but if not adding something might be helpful for new folks. On to # 2 now which sounds daunting.
glen55
Reactions:

Post by glen55 »

I agree that if a guy is going to haul out and act on his own regardless of the orders you give him it would be nice if there were some mention in the scenario notes. With this being the first scenario I played, I found it very surprising and frustrating, and it made me wonder whether this game was truly playable.
dpeters95
Reactions:

Re: Scenario #1 - The Boys Got Their Dander Up

Post by dpeters95 »

Hello all,
I'm new around here but I have to ask for help. I have played this 1st scenario on normal 4 times and can't get more than 1000 points. I must be missing something! I have literally driven the confederate forces from the field, killed more than twice as many as I have lost, positioned a regiment on top of the objective the entire mission, but I still lose!!!! Wasn't the real mission here to just delay the confederates until help arrived? By the time they arrive during my games there is nothing for them to do, yet I lose! What am I missing?

I have read all of your messages in this forum and thought I understand what should be done but obviously I am missing something. I don't need to move Buford to the objective flag do I? I never move him during the fight.

I would appreciate any help because I like the game but I am really frustrated...

Thanks
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

You must have a commander and a regiment on the objective to gain points. You can tell it's activated because it goes from a white shield to a stars and stripes shield. Also when you select the commander that's holding it, you will see the red timer text.
Last edited by Little Powell on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dpeters95
Reactions:

Post by dpeters95 »

You must have a commander and a regiment on the objective to gain points. You can tell it's activated because it goes from a white shield to a stars and stripes shield. Also when you select the commander that's holding it, you will see the red timer text.

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH!

Gee, that did it! A score of 5861 and it wasn't my best effort by far. Didn't realize you needed a Commander on the objective.

Thank you for the info and your time!
Last edited by dpeters95 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I scored 5861, not almost 5861
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Great advice as usual.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
nervouspete
Reactions:

Post by nervouspete »

Hey guys, just had my second attempt at this one. I didn't get to play this game for a long whiles due to having to spend too much time in the 21st rather than the 19th century, but now I'm in the saddle.

I failed miserably the first time. I also hadn't realised I needed a man on the objective. Second time round it took me half the battle before I realised I needed a regiment on there too. I was beginning to wonder if I had to get Buford exactly placed, and spent so much time clicking him about on the spot he almost broke into dance moves. Then I moved a regiment away from the front to rest and the flag popped up, as did my eyebrows. Still, I achieved a minor victory this time with 2,796 points and 1,000 Confederate dead to my 519. Not a bad exchange.

It was a thrilling battle. There was one horrible moment when one regimental commander of the New York charged his men forward in a cavalry charge, which worked for a few fleeting glorious moments before he got mired horribly in a counter attack, losing 195 men to 28 of theirs. Fortunately my other divisions were stalwarts and using two as fixers and a third running between to be the hammer on anvil I managed to turn repeated enemy attacks just in time. The cannon also did exemplary when left to their own devices. I moved the two reserve southern located cannon up and was rewarded with some heavy duty support. Two of the cannon took down 200 of the enemy between them.

The last phase of the game had one unit facing South West holding back repeated attacks through the woods from behind the fences and boulders. The other two faced a strong attack from confederates pouring over the sunken ditch. Sadly for them it became a bloodbath as I fired down the length of it with one and from the road with another and the entire affair began to resemble that infamous sunken road at Antietam.

My only quibble with this game is that it's a bit vague for newbies like me as to how to hold positions. I also get a bit frustrated by units sometimes endlessly finnessing my deployments unless I take direct control. I'm beginning to learn, though! I won! So happy me want to cry!