I dont know how this happened

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
DavidAcheson140PVI
Reactions:

I dont know how this happened

Post by DavidAcheson140PVI »

i was just playing the scenario Sickles Stays Home and i got a really high score in my opinion. 24400. yeah so if anyone has gotten a ridiciulously high scorel ike that before tell me. um i think the reason i got it was cause i had carrs brigade as well as the 2nd sharpshooters on little round top and the sharpshooters picked off alot of guys something like 203. and also devils den i posted the 1st sharpshooters there and they routed most of hoods division. they lost no men and took 643 rebels down. i sent trobiands brigade up to the peach orchard because i felt like sacrificing some guys and they id surprisingly well and polished off 300 rebels and only losing about 170. so i feel i did well but tell me your stories if you guys got any ridiculous scores on this. the final casualties are: 186 me 2300 rebels B)
Virginians with me! Who will come with me?! - Lewis Armistead, July 3rd, 1863
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re:I dont know how this happened

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

It sounds like your description of events is the reason for the high score, i.e. no game quirks. I got nearly 19,000 the first time I played it without trying very hard. As I recall, my strategy was similar to yours. Therefore, the most likely reason is our superb generalship. I suppose there is also the remote possibility that this scenario points out just how big a blunder Sickles made... I like the first reason better. :laugh:
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
DavidAcheson140PVI
Reactions:

Re:I dont know how this happened

Post by DavidAcheson140PVI »

as do i mtg
Virginians with me! Who will come with me?! - Lewis Armistead, July 3rd, 1863
mkeogh76
Reactions:

Re: I dont know how this happened

Post by mkeogh76 »

Apologies for necro-bumping this ancient thread, but I won my first HITS battle with "Sickles Stays Home" so I feel like boasting. (I played a custom difficulty game: normal settings, HITS, couriers, and minimap icons set to "All in 700 yards" so maybe not the most impressive HITS victory, but still a victory.)

I guess this is just a fairly easy scenario anyway you play it. I won with 15,000 points.

How I did it:

1) I detached Ward's brigade in the Devil's Den from Birney and gave him a hold order. His job was to buy time for the rest of the corps by holding onto the Devil's Den as long as possible.

2) I ordered Birney to hold Little Round Top with his other two brigades.

3) I detached Carr from Humphreys' to be the divisional reserve.

4) I ordered Humphreys to form a defensive line on the Bushman farm with his two remaining brigades.

5) I grossly mismanaged my artillery and lost a good many guns. (Still haven't got the hang of the artillery game.)

The rest was rather simple. I started racking-up points from the three objectives (Cemetery Ridge, Little Round Top, and the Devil's Den.) The Rebels overran the Devil's Den, captured three of Ward's regiments, killed Ward and three of his replacements, and sent his remaining regiments reeling back into my rear where they would eventually regroup and rejoin the fight.

Meanwhile, McLaws started to curl around Humphreys' right flank which forced me to send Carr with his reserve brigade to stabilize that flank which he did handsomely. However, it left me without a reserve until Ward's battered brigade reformed.

The Rebels battered four of my six brigades. In addition to the three regiments they captured in the Devil's Den, they routed eight other regiments and nearly overran three of my five batteries. Yet, they were not able to punch through to Little Round Top or Cemetery Ridge.

It was strictly a III Corps fight as my requests for support to Hancock and Gibbon went unanswered.