Multiplayer Maps

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Re:Multiplayer Maps

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Little Powell wrote:
Kerflumoxed wrote:
Will it be possible to turn the crops off and leave the trees on?
Right now it's not possible, but the second press of the T key still leaves some trees while removing all crops. I'm not sure it that's being planned though, but Norb or Jim would be better to answer that.
Well, LP, that leaves the "glass half-full" and I can live with that! :P

I have an especial dislike of corn fields, although there is nothing better to eat than "field corn" at the right time of the year. There is about a 2 week window when field corn will surpass sweet corn in flavor and tenderness! My dislike stems from having spent many summers as a young'un working in the fields irrigating, detasseling, etc. Once I became old enough to sling hay bales around, I was promoted to the hay fields which had many benefits including the catching of grass frogs for the skillet! :woohoo:

Today, thirty feet behind my house is a cornfield that always brings those memories of heat, corn pollen, stick-tights, muddy rows, and corn leaves scraping my arms! Oh, Lawdy, what memories!

Whoops, sorry to have "stolen" the thread! :blush:
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

I hope in the new game the troops, when moving from point A to point B, have enough smarts to go around the corn fields and not through them.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

Remember that these are early July corn fields, not the end of August versions that you are used to from TC2M. The old country saying about corn "Knee high by the 4th of July" comes into play here. There are a couple of shots in the December screenshots of the corn fields.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Amish John wrote:
I hope in the new game the troops, when moving from point A to point B, have enough smarts to go around the corn fields and not through them.
Other than "road travel" don't these units simply go from point "A" to point "B" rather than go around obstacles such as corn fields? :dry:
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Jim wrote:
Remember that these are early July corn fields, not the end of August versions that you are used to from TC2M. The old country saying about corn "Knee high by the 4th of July" comes into play here. There are a couple of shots in the December screenshots of the corn fields.

-Jim
Excellent point! Hadn't considered that. Of course, I am sure you are not using the 60 day Hybrid that matures more rapidly...and thereby grows taller more quickly! Seems I recall that the old South Carolinian Edmund Ruffin was into cross-breeding crops! :P
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

Jim wrote:

-Jim
Good point. Forgot about that. Living in Lancaster County PA you would think I would have remembered that.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

I know this was mentioned once before, but would a corn field really slow down a regiment or a brigade that much? It seems like the corn, no matter how high, would get trampled pretty quick.
OHIO UNIVERSITY
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

Ephrum wrote:
I know this was mentioned once before, but would a corn field really slow down a regiment or a brigade that much? It seems like the corn, no matter how high, would get trampled pretty quick.
I have dealt with this several times over my reenacting years. In tall corn, you slow down a bit because you're trying to maintain your alignment and obviously it's harder to see. There really isn't hardly any extra fatigue incurred going thru tall corn, just a bit of added confusion. For knee high corn I would guess there would be almost no speed or fatigue affect. It is, however, more tiring to march across plowed furrows, especially in dry loose soil. It's almost like walking on a soft sand beach. I think I got more tired marching across a newly plowed field than through mature corn. Keep in mind also, from what I've been told, corn wasn't planted as densely in the 1860's as it is today nor was it generally as high as today's corn.
Last edited by Amish John on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

I've read the same thing, in regards to how cornfields weren't as dense as they are today. I remember a program on the History Channel, Battlefield Detectives I think, and they said the same thing about how cornfields were in the mid-19th century.

Of course if you want an example of what a cornfield must have looked like in that period, just look at Amish crop fields of today. They're probably similar.

You make a good point about maintaining regimental alignment through corn.
Last edited by Ephrum on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
OHIO UNIVERSITY