Multiplayer Maps

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
Jim
Reactions:

Multiplayer Maps

Post by Jim »

As the October screenshot blizzard show, the historical battle maps are coming along very nicely.

One idea under consideration is to add some non-historical maps for open play and/or multiplayer. This of course opens up many options. My question for you is if we were to do just one non-historical map, what terrain type should it be? Flat, hilly, mountain pass, something else? :unsure:
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Ephrum
Reactions:

Re:Multiplayer Maps

Post by Ephrum »

That's not a bad idea for both OP & MP.

As for terrain, I'm partial to hilly. The gentle, rolling kind.

The area I live in would make a great map. We even have road names like Drums Bottom, Dogleg, Gunbarrel, Cat Tail, Coonpath, Snake Run.
OHIO UNIVERSITY
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

I think Mordor would be an excellent map to play on.
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

norb wrote:
I think Mordor would be an excellent map to play on.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Don't forget about The Shire! That would make a nice Battlefield!!
OHIO UNIVERSITY
Armchair General
Reactions:

Post by Armchair General »

I like wide open fields with gentle hills for artillery batteries and a few fences for infantry defense.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Woods that are relitively few, wide open hills, elevation gains and drops. That is all good to me.
Hancock the Superb
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

Gently rolling hills, patches of woods, some farms with orchards, an adequate road system, maybe a couple higher hills or ridges, a river that can only be forded at specific points, areas of fenced crop fields and areas that are mostly unfenced and open.
Last edited by Amish John on Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
69th NYSV
Reactions:

Post by 69th NYSV »

If it were to be only one map then I would vote for something along the lines proposed by Amish John. With a small variety of terrain on the map you at least have the opportunity for some different scenarios to develop. Ideally there would be a couple different maps offering some different challenges to keep things fresh for awhile.

I remember back to my old MTW days and after playing the maps several times the tactics broke down the same every game because everyone figured out the best way to deal with the maps.
Pvt., 4th Texas Infantry, Co. B
bedbug
Reactions:

Post by bedbug »

I think I'd go with AJ's thoughts as well.....maybe throw in a couple of villages.;)
Last edited by bedbug on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

Amish John wrote:
Gently rolling hills, patches of woods, some farms with orchards, an adequate road system, maybe a couple higher hills or ridges, a river that can only be forded at specific points, areas of fenced crop fields and areas that are mostly unfenced and open.
Sounds ideal! Make a couple like that, and we'll be glad to litter them with dead Sesech and Bluebellies!B)
OHIO UNIVERSITY